eight tv s in house

frank

DTVUSA Rookie
My problem is simple , i have more tvs in my house than the average customer for direct tv or dish.I can probably mirror three of the tv s , but would prefer to keep separate viewing on five tv s .when i go to set up a account, the final bill is way more than i thought it should be. This is why i am still with my cable company, what can i do?

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
My problem is simple , i have more tvs in my house than the average customer for direct tv or dish.I can probably mirror three of the tv s , but would prefer to keep separate viewing on five tv s .when i go to set up a account, the final bill is way more than i thought it should be. This is why i am still with my cable company, what can i do?
Install OTA DTV using a rooftop antenna with a splitter to two of the TVs and keep cable or add satellite to the others. More viewing options without the extra monthly cost.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Yes, this is really the dirty-little-secret of satellite television. They lure many in with their promise of many additional HD channels (the vast majority of which either broadcast very little of their programming in HD, or are channels that many subscribers would simply have little or no interest in, or both!) but barely mention that they charge extra for every single television you want to provide service with, regardless of what level of service you are willing to accept on those additional televisions. FiOS is similar in that regard; also with the promise of lots of extra (and practically useless) HD channels, but much higher in cost once you get to your third television.

By contrast, in many areas, you can still get expanded basic cable service via analog on every television in your home, for no additional cost, from the legacy cable company. This cost advantage is remarkable.

To be fair, this advantage is coming to an end. The silly tactic that the satellite services and terrestrial upstarts have employed, to get subscribers HD channel fevered, has put substantial pressure on the legacy cable providers. They will add more HD channels, and to make room for them they will shift more and more expanded basic channels from unencrypted (trapped) analog service to encrypted digital service, and like their competitors, they charge extra for each additional digital outlet.

As long as the cable company offers this advantage, I will probably be sticking with them for television. Once they start encrypting expanded basic, here (and it is coming soon, I suspect, because they just started talking about it for the town of Newburyport, about 25 miles from here), I'll have to make a decision.

I might go with OTA for the extra televisions, sticking with cable only on one television. That's a possibility for me because:
1) On the bedroom television, we generally only watch the Weather Channel, to get the weather report in the morning, but we can sacrifice that for just the local news recorded by our DVR each morning; and
2) On the kitchen television, whatever cable programs we watch we can record on our "main" TiVo and use TiVo's MRV service to watch them on this television.

Alternatively, that might be the point in time where we are prompted to switch to FiOS.

Last edited:

frank

DTVUSA Rookie
Is it the installation cost that you're trying to lower, or your overall monthly fee from DirecTV you're trying to lower? or both?
Tonyt its not the start up cost that keeps me from going satalight its the monthly cost , its double the cost of cable. my cable company has lost many customers in my part of florida due to the past huricanes,so i think its not cost efective for them to replace the lines now. my service has gotten a little better but i think i need to go satalight just as my neighbors hove done.i dont mint some up front cost just not long term

frank

DTVUSA Rookie
Install OTA DTV using a rooftop antenna with a splitter to two of the TVs and keep cable or add satellite to the others. More viewing options without the extra monthly cost.
Thanks maybe i should do that ,but if i put up a over the air antenna will i need a new box soon and will it have to be on each tv also how good are the new remots that the satalight companys gives you with the box? will it work in another room?

TonyT

DTVUSA Member
Alternatively, that might be the point in time where we are prompted to switch to FiOS.
Not to hijack the thread, but if you go with FiOS internet (with the TV package), you'll love it. Much more sustainable download/upload speeds. Much faster than cable. We don't have it hear in NM, but I stay at a corporate house in Beaumont, CA every other month with the FiOS TV and Internet package.

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
Tonyt its not the start up cost that keeps me from going satalight its the monthly cost , its double the cost of cable. my cable company has lost many customers in my part of florida due to the past huricanes,so i think its not cost efective for them to replace the lines now. my service has gotten a little better but i think i need to go satalight just as my neighbors hove done.i dont mint some up front cost just not long term
Frank, who quoted you on your Direct TV install? Was it a reseller service or Direct TV themselves?