Elderly GE set

RIJoe

DTVUSA Rookie
I'm trying to help a friend utilize a Zinwell CB with a 1980 counter-top GE B&W VHF/UHF set that has manual tuning, a single telescoping antenna, & 4 unmarked screw terminals on the back. After making the RF In & Out connections using a 75-300 ohm transformer on each (the same as described by "Jay" in Link #12 to "No coaxial or A/V connector" Jan. '09), the Set-Up picture that appeared on channel 3 was too distorted to be useable - nothing came up on channel 4. Is there something further I should try before he commits to the purchase of a newer set ?

TonyT

DTVUSA Member
Sounds like a bad connection and the culprit might be those screw terminals. Wonder why there's 4? Did you try connecting to two and then switching to the other two just to see if that would help?

RIJoe

DTVUSA Rookie
Tried all combinations of the 4 terminals. The old TV, by itself, displays a good picture on 4 VHF channels; I don't think there's any UHF reception.

RIJoe

DTVUSA Rookie
I wasn't able to complete the CB setup & acquire any digital signals; didn't think to try the analog pass-through function on any of the 4 VFR channels.

If I remember correctly to top 2 screws are for VHF and the bottom 2 are for UHF. You'll need a 75 ohm to 300 ohm adapter. Connect the twin lead(300 ohm) to the top 2 screws and connect the other end(75 ohm) to a coaxial cable to the antenna out of the converter box. Then select either channel 3 or 4. Cheers.

TonyT

DTVUSA Member
If I remember correctly to top 2 screws are for VHF and the bottom 2 are for UHF. You'll need a 75 ohm to 300 ohm adapter. Connect the twin lead(300 ohm) to the top 2 screws and connect the other end(75 ohm) to a coaxial cable to the antenna out of the converter box. Then select either channel 3 or 4. Cheers.
So could he actually use 2 antennas with that TV?