Ellen joins American Idol

antkmom

DTVUSA Member
What do you think of Ellen taking Paulas spot on American Idol? I wonder if they are doing this to up their ratings. After all, what does Ellen really know about music?

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Ellen probably knows more about the entertainment business than Paula did. She's a producer of a highly successful daytime variety program, and is therefore often in the position of affecting a singer's career. She's also considered to be highly sensitive to the preferences of the American public that watches her show. She's been recently named one of the five most influential women in media.

This same type of skepticism, I suppose, could be directed at Oprah's Book Club. After all, what does Oprah know about fiction literature?

As it is, the judges have absolutely no role in determining who stays or who goes, starting from the point in time where Ellen will join the panel of judges. At that point in the process, the judges are simply there to participate in presenting an entertaining television show to the audience watching. Ellen is perhaps the most qualified of the four in that regard.

Last edited:
Just based on watching her afternoon talk show every now and then, I think she'll be fun to watch. She'll probably have some funny comments, too, since her background is in comedy.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Clearly, four of her Emmys demonstrate that she's qualified to host her daytime show, but as you point out, that doesn't really matter much. Rather, focus on another four Emmys she's received: They demonstrate that she's qualified to produce her show, and in her capacity as executive producer she has had significant influence over the careers of musical artists in this country for many years. She is one of the five most influential women in media.

So her qualifications are impeccable.

antkmom

DTVUSA Member
I think that Ellen will probably be judging like America does at home. Seriously...how many of us can tell if someone is 'pitchy'?

Ellen did make the comment that she is not going to be mean to the contestants. Paula always had a nice comment too, so this will be a good replacement.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
I think that Ellen will probably be judging like America does at home. Seriously...how many of us can tell if someone is 'pitchy'?
And really, there is a real question as to how much pitchiness, specifically, affects how much people enjoy a musical performance.

dresser

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I agree with bicker. Ellen would the right replacement for Paula. She doesn't have the right qualifications, more experience in the entertainment, but also the intelligence and she seems to have a good ear for music too. But again, we have yet to see what happens. :fish2:

Ellen has the experience in the entertainment industry and that's what singers are ultimately about - entertainment. As far as "pitchy" is concerned - what does it mean? I can tell when someone is off-key but I don't understand "pitchy".

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Ellen guest judged an episode of So You Think You Can Dance over the summer. She did a find a couple of on the mark things to say but mostly it was her impression. I think that's what she'll do on AI. However, as good as she is, I feel it was an inappropriate choice.