Enough Already! Archie 'Sugar Sugar' Andrews To Die in 'Life With Archie' July Entry

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Where is the line drawn? This is not a soap opera, nor is it a science fiction fantasy production where death means nothing. What is at hand here is a childhood full of happy memories, of silliness, competitiveness, and comraderie. We are talking the singers of the bubblegum classic, "Sugar Sugar." Yes, folks, we are talking about Archie comics.

The news revealed today is that a main character in the Archie lore is about to be killed off. What? Could the legendary Betty and Veronica triangle with Archie be doomed because one of the women is killed in some tragic, perhaps health-related scenario, like breast cancer? Could Reggie's millions prove once and for all that money does not buy happiness? Could Jughead finally do something so idiotic that he falls in front of a tractor and is run over?

Believe it or not, the news is even worse than that. Unfortunately, it is Archie Andrews himself who is being killed, supposedly in the act of saving a friend.

Oh come on! This reality thing has gone too far. I know I am a child of the innocent, those decades when TV shows were focused on a happy ever after that did not always happen, where the Beaver's mom was a happy homemaker who could solve all of her son's woes, where Robbie Douglas' antics on 'My Three Sons' were never worse than simple mischievousness and ended with him realizing the errors of his teenage ways. I get all that, but to kill off an innocent high school student is crazy.

The 'Life With Archie' series follows Archie through his life after high school and college, and when the final issue of that is released in July, Archie will take his last breath.

In a statement, Jon Goldwater, Archie Comics Publisher and Co-CEO, said, "We've been building up to this moment since we launched Life With Archie five years ago, and knew that any book that was telling the story of Archie's life as an adult had to also show his final moment. Archie has and always will represent the best in all of us—he's a hero, good-hearted, humble and inherently honorable. This story is going to inspire a wide range of reactions because we all feel so close to Archie. Fans will laugh, cry, jump off the edge of their seats and hopefully understand why this comic will go down as one of the most important moments in Archie's entire history. It's the biggest story we've ever done, and we're supremely proud of it."

Proud? And this has been on the drawing board for five years? Really?

Sorry, but it is a no go for me. I am sick of this quest for ending life in entertainment media for the sake of the real world under the guise of being authentic. There are so few truly happy places anymore, and kids today really do not have a clue what it meant to be a kid when I was one. I feel incredibly sorry for them.

I still have a few of my childhood comic books, Archie included. Yes, from time to time, I pull them out and relive the magic. Sometimes, I listen to "Sugar Sugar." I also have one of the DVD sets to one of the Archie animated TV programs. I am appalled that the powers that be are making Archie out to be Superman, killed off and potentially reincarnated in some manner or another (I did not read it so am not sure how exactly they pulled it off, but certainly anything works in a science fiction universe, or that of daytime dramas where characters are brought back no matter how visible and horrific their 'death' was upon airing).

Diss to Goldwater and Archie Comics executives who are going along with this. Even if Archie lives on in high school, it just is not right to have him die any death, let alone a violent one.

How sad that the world has become so disenchanted and cynical that even a comic book character, one beloved and well known to millions, can meet this kind of ending, how very sad.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/entertainment-eonline/20140408/b529730/

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
The Archies animated series can be seen @ 5:30 pm Eastern weekdays on the PBJ network.

From Wikipedia:
"Sugar, Sugar" is a pop song written by Jeff Barry and Andy Kim. It was performed by The Archies, a band formed by a group of fictional teenagers in the television cartoon series The Archie Show. It reached number one in the US in 1969 and stayed there for four weeks. It was number one in the UK in that same year for eight weeks. "Sugar, Sugar" was produced by Jeff Barry. The album is the product of a group of studio musicians managed by Don Kirshner. Ron Dante's lead vocals were accompanied by those of Toni Wine (who sang the line "I'm gonna make your life so sweet"), and Andy Kim. Studio musicians on this song: Ron Frangipane - keyboard, Chuck Rainey - bass, Gary Chester - drums, Dave Appell - guitar, Harry Amanatian - guitar, Ray Stevens - handclaps