ePVision PHD-VRX DVR

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Seems that there is a new option for an OTA TV DVR out there: ePVision.com - PHD-VRX DVR

It only costs $230, but you must supply your own USB hard drive. It handles up to 2TB drives, so you can record hundreds of hours of content. It also has two physical RF inputs for the two tuners, meaning that you can have two different antennas pointed at different cities, or connect one tuner to digital(clear QAM)/analog cable and one to an OTA antenna. It seems a bit clunky, and you might need to be a tech genuis to optimize it, but it certainly looks like a viable OTA alternative DVR.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Hah, love the idea of being able to use your own hard drive. Swap it out when it gets full or buy a bigger one. Pretty cheap too compared to the Tivo but I wonder how the good the program guide is comparatively.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Hah, love the idea of being able to use your own hard drive. Swap it out when it gets full or buy a bigger one. Pretty cheap too compared to the Tivo but I wonder how the good the program guide is comparatively.
I think it only uses PSIP, but I may be wrong. Most of what you pay for with a TiVo is the guide. VideoBruce did an extensive thread at AVS starting June 6th. There is plenty of room to mount a 2.5" HDD inside the case for those folks that want a self contained unit, and the video files can be off loaded to a computer.