Ever since the DTV changeover, schedules are wrong

I receive a broadcast signal and I have to use converter boxes on my tvs.
Ever since the DTV changeover, I can't depend on the tv guide anymore.

Shows are on that are no supposed to be on. Shows start at the wrong times.

The clock on the menu shows different times at the same time...meaning that if I tune to a channel and then look at the menu, it will say it is 11:55. Then I tune to a different channel and then go to the menu and it will say it is 12:00. But on a different channel it will say it is 11:54.

A lot of times the menu will show that shows start at 10:59-11:59. Or from 5:29-5:59.

I think the new DTV system sucks and I find it to be a big aggrevation. I just want to watch my shows and enjoy them. Why is all this garbage nessessary?
I never had trouble watching tv on the old system.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
I think the problems you're experiencing may be unique to your specific box. Could you please provide the model numbers for the equipment you're using (television; converter box, if any; etc.)? Also could you please describe what you're seeing a bit more? It is such a unique concern, that I haven't ever heard of such a thing before, and so I will need to understand the scenario a bit better to help you know what setting or configuration you'll need to change to fix the problem for yourself.

FOX TV

Contributor
I receive a broadcast signal and I have to use converter boxes on my tvs.
Ever since the DTV changeover, I can't depend on the tv guide anymore.

Shows are on that are no supposed to be on. Shows start at the wrong times.

The clock on the menu shows different times at the same time...meaning that if I tune to a channel and then look at the menu, it will say it is 11:55. Then I tune to a different channel and then go to the menu and it will say it is 12:00. But on a different channel it will say it is 11:54.

A lot of times the menu will show that shows start at 10:59-11:59. Or from 5:29-5:59.

I think the new DTV system sucks and I find it to be a big aggrevation. I just want to watch my shows and enjoy them. Why is all this garbage nessessary?
I never had trouble watching tv on the old system.

A lot of the "gimmicks" if you want to call them that were supposed to put the broadcast signals on par with cable and satellite as far as guide information, time clock, and ratings, as most of these items are available on the cable and sat channels. The problem with the clock is a strange one, but it may be due to your market not having a time clock reference station in your area.

The guide information is normally supplied by an outside firm such as Titan TV who takes the stations schedule, and puts it into a text format, and then sends it across the internet to another computer at the station that inserts the guide data into the Digital TV data stream. The digital data stream contains a real time clock that references a stations master clock, or the time that is actually set in the on air server computers.

We use a master clock system that relays the correct GPS time to the on air servers, and everything in the stations master control syncs to that master GPS clock. Our master clock broadcast station in this area is our local PBS channel.

Remember that there was no guide information in analog TV, and in order for FREE TV to survive against cable and satellite, they needed to be jazzed up, and the guide information is normally supplied by an outsourced company. Sometimes the station needs to make schedule changes that are needed, but do not have time to send the updated information to the guide provider in real time. There are many more aspects to providing the guide information that are to numerous to list here.