EV's Best Top Rated FM and HD Radio Antenna Guide & Reviews

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
Here is a recent acquisition. Pretty interesting vintage TV-FM Antenna. The Jerrold Magic Carpet!

Instead of me describing it...see for yourself...

It's 27" tall x 60" wide.

Edit: Should I downsize those pics. There are at 800x600, maybe 640x480?

Last edited:
I'm finding the occasional online reference to various magazine articles relevant to FM and TV antennas and reception. Alas, no access to these unless the main city library has them, and libraries are getting away from keeping old magazines, especially audio and electronic titles. I once actually had many of those issues, but living in the real world forced me to downsize several times...

Had the Allied catalogs, too.

EscapeVelocity

That BIC Beambox is usually available on eBay.

Its a great solution for city folks who have strong signals but lots of strong multipath as well. I have the BIC BeamBox FM10 here at the house.

The BIC Beambox FM8 lacks a 75 ohm output, but you can add your own balun. It is somewhat less aesthetically pleasing, however it may be that it is slightly better in that one direction because it lacks the metal faceplate.

The BIC BeamBox FM6 is not tunable....it has the directional switch only.

EscapeVelocity

I'm finding the occasional online reference to various magazine articles relevant to FM and TV antennas and reception. Alas, no access to these unless the main city library has them, and libraries are getting away from keeping old magazines, especially audio and electronic titles. I once actually had many of those issues, but living in the real world forced me to downsize several times...

Had the Allied catalogs, too.
There is some great stuff archied on that microfiche and film rolls. Libraries are one of the greatest developments ever in the history of mankind.

EscapeVelocity

New antenna spotted Barberpole FM & Shortwave!

3 and 6 foot sections.

Search Ebay for Barberpole FM Antenna...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tC9_jSTkDQ[/YOUTUBE]

Introducing the Barberpole 6 foot tall FM and shortwave antenna! We invite you to watch our video of the Barber's effectiveness and then continue reading on about this fantastic design guaranteed to bring incredible performance to your FM needs while serving as a great shortwave (or HF as it is also known) solution as well.

The Barberpole is proudly made in the USA out of high quality materials which are also produced in the USA. Comes complete with instruction manual, antenna, and mounting hardware. Works great by attaching via an alligator clip to your radio's collapsable rod antenna, or the alligator clip can be removed so that the oxygen free copper element can be plugged directly into the Hi-Z connection on your high end radio. The element is precision wrapped to gain maximum length from the supporting pole without too many turns that would result in choking out the signal. We've achieved this efficiency only through countless hours of testing and design utilizing different environments, radios, and terrain. In our tests, we've found that transporting a large antenna can be cumbersome. This is precisely why we've designed the antenna with a coupling so that it can be disassmbled for easy transport in your car or even strapped to the back of your motorcycle for those out of the way camping trips.

We've sold countless Barber's in local markets and venues to various amateur radio afficionado groups, and to countless others that need big FM receiving performance without a big price, and are now taking our tried and true product online! As a matter of fact, we're so sure that you'll be satisfied with our product that we will stand by it...

FOR LIFE!

You get an unconditional 30 day warranty. If for any reason this antenna is not for you, we give a full refund including shipping; just ship the product back, no questions asked. After that, we will warrant the Barber against defects in workmanship or material for the life of the product by offering repair or replacement (see instruction manual enclosed with product for a full warranty description).

The all weather Barber is a great outdoor antenna standing up to sun and moisture, but will also work extremely well indoors with exceptional performance for those without exterior mounting options. Bring an old radio to life with an antenna that can hang with the big boys, all for a low cost and a lifetime guarantee. Gain extra performance on the shortwave bands as well; far more than an internal antenna alone can do. Does your antenna do all of this? If not, get the Barberpole today!

EscapeVelocity

I havent hooked it up yet rando. Ive got the Digitennas back on the front burner, so I have to get to it when I can.

Its an interesting antenna and concept isnt it? I think one could design a better element pattern using the same design concept. Its on the Kosmic Antennas Research & Development department.

EscapeVelocity

New antenna discovered...

This looks fantastic! Can be used for recieve only and stacked if desired. Havent gotten a price on them yet.

8 Element FM Broadcast Heavy Duty Log-Periodic Antenna

Electrical Specifications:

8 Elements covering 88 MHz to 108 MHz with better than 8DBi gain across the band. This true free space gain, and does not include the additional 6 db of ground
gain included in some others antenna meadurements.
Antenna Input Impedance 75 Ohms
Front to Back Ratio is very high at 25 to 30 DB across the band.
Return Loss commonly, referred to as SWR, is 1.5 to 1 across 88 MHz to 108 MHz
These values were verified using both computer aided modeling and real world measurements made at my lab.

Physical Specifications:

Antenna Weight 11 Lbs
Wind survival greater than 80 MPH
Boom Length is 8 feet
Boom Material is 2 of 1" square .090" wall 6063 aluminum tubing in parallel.
Elements are made from solid .25" 6061-T6 high strength aluminum
Longest element 68.5"
Shortest Element 38.0"
Elements are bolted to the boom with stainless steel Nylock nuts to prevent them from ever loosening up.
Mounting bracket is .5" high strength UV protected polycarbonate attached to the boom using 6 stainless countersunk bolts.
The mount is fitted for a 2" diameter mast but on request can be customized for 1.5" mast

What's In The Box ?

The antenna will be shipped to you in a 96"x 8" x 8" box. This is because the boom is completely assembled when you receive it.
Your job will be to attach the elements, attach the feed line, and mount the antenna. Tools needed for the job will be a 7/16" wrench, 9/16" wrench and a common
pair of pliers. You will want to have some electrical tape handy to waterproof the F connector.
The elements are clearly marked as to their location on the boom. Simply insert the element into the corresponding hole and tighten the NyLock.
Total assembly time under 30 minutes.

Why Buy This Log Periodic Antenna?

I build these Log Periodic antennas from the highest quality materials so they will work exceptionally well, and also tolerate the high winds, rain, ice loading that we
get here in New England.
The log periodic really excels at front to back ratio and front to side ratio.
This is very important in the FM band and allows for excellent rejection of unwanted stations, and, allows you to hear the station you want.
When analyzed by computer software the antenna shows an ave of F/B ratio 25 DB to 30 DB My off air measurements with a spectrum analyzer have confirmed
these numbers.

Last edited:

EscapeVelocity

The seller of the FM Log Periodic above, says that the picture is of an early prototype, and that the finished product has many improvments and better quality. He just hasnt had the weather break to slap it up on a mast and take better pics, yet.

Price is $299

That's a classic, very much like the Blonder-Tongue LP I had long ago. Hope he markets it on eBay with his other antenna.

The dual-boom construction is pretty strong, the only weakness might be in the insulator where it all mounts to the mast.