EV's Best Top Rated FM and HD Radio Antenna Guide & Reviews

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
It was very common for Hardware stores to carry television antennas, at least a couple of choices. Lowes and Home Depot carry on this tradition for now. In the past, often the local hardware store would not only carry an antenna or 2, but would carry a specific model that was known to perform well for the area. Now its more of a cookie cutter affair.

EscapeVelocity

Peruse Antenna Theory...

NEETS, MODULE 10--INTRODUCTION TO WAVE PROPAGATION, TRANSMISSION LINES, AND ANTENNAS

Introduces wave propagation, transmission lines, and antenna theory. Topic 1 discusses wave motion, sound-wave terminology, light waves, properties of electromagnetic waves and the electromagnetic spectrum. Topic 2 discusses radio-wave propagation, including components of radio waves, electromagnetic fields, and effects of the Earth's atmosphere and terrain on radio waves. Topic 3 discusses transmission line theory, including terminology, types of lines, losses, length of lines, and discussions on characteristic impedance, electromagnetic fields, line reflections, standing waves, and standing-wave ratio. Topic 4 discusses several antennas, including the Hertz, Marconi, several arrays, and special antennas.

EscapeVelocity

That is a more difficult question than it would seem to be.

The short answer is the DIY FM Rhombic, with has by far the most gain and best rejection and tight beamwidth. However if you have FM transmissions that you wish to recieve from multiple directions that is not the best antenna. This doesnt address size limitation and placement restrictions either. The correct question is what is the best antenna for my situation, needs, wants...combined with the level of effort one is willing to put into it.

I will be addressing this question towards the bottom of the Intro soon, more or less, when going over different antenna styles and how they relate to one another. Then addressing similarly at the top of each subsection.

EscapeVelocity

Thanks everybody. Its nice to hear from folks about the guide.

I really need to sit down and make myself write those last few sections of the Intro and clean them up. Gotta get myself mentally ready for that though.

EscapeVelocity

Here is something I just picked up.

Vintage Rhembrandt FM Antenna

Features:

- adjustable brass telescoping VHF(FM) elements
- impedence matching fine tuning knob
- bandpass filters
- weird loops that look like UHF loops that Ive seen on some other models of vintage TV antennas

EscapeVelocity

Here is the C Crane FM Reflect Folded Dipole Antenna.

This one does seem to be an improvement over the cheap twinlead style folded dipole. Improved bandwidth and interference rejection.

Comes with an alligator clip connector as well. Nice touch. Plus a 75 ohm to 300 ohm balun for those with 300 ohm antenna inputs only.

The 75 ohm straight F connection is beneficial to reduce transformer loss for tuners that have them.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G General TV Chat 0