Ex-Senator Gordon Smith: Voice of Free, Local TV

dkreichen1968

Staff member
"My mother always said, the best way to ruin a story is to tell the other side," he said in his spacious mahogany-and-hunter-green-toned office in Dupont Circle.

The power of a simple message could be boiled down to success in elections. Where do most people view campaign ads? Over free television, he said. Want to get elected? You'll need TV.

"I placed an Internet ad when I last ran," he said, "and about 30 people clicked on it."

Ex-senator Gordon Smith now represents broadcasters as voice for free, local TV

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Dan,

I wonder if the Ex-Senator has OTA in his home? I for one would LOVE to run a TVFOOL report on his address to see what he could receive and thus, give him additional ammunition for our cause. I bet we all would be hyper-focussed on system recommendations for him, if he doesn't already have OTA. All it would take is to get current Senators to visit his home and when they saw his TV they would say "WOW ... that's what I have been thinking about ending and its' free?"

It would be such a shame to see the superior pictures from true HD OTA, versus compressed Cable and Satellite ended.

Jim

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Some great quotes in the article.
"My mother always said, the best way to ruin a story is to tell the other side"

"The power of a simple message could be boiled down to success in elections. Where do most people view campaign ads? Over free television, he said. Want to get elected? You'll need TV"

"I placed an Internet ad when I last ran," he said, "and about 30 people clicked on it."
I think those last 2 statements may be key to getting elected officials to pay attention. Without local broadcast TV, politicians are in a heap o' trouble.

"You'd think mobile broadband could cure cancer, too," Smith said with sarcasm.

"Why wireless connections instead of more robust and faster Internet lines into homes and businesses? And how can consumers be sure airwaves won't go to big carriers, who continually increase costs for consumers?"
We need an "Insider" in this process. And if we can't buy a sitting senator like the wireless and pay TV providers have done, an ex-senator is the next best thing.

I disagree with the Washington Post author about her statement that "broadcast TV may be on the decline..." I see a sharp rise in OTA viewers here and across the nation. Ms. Kang has obviously NOT done her homework on that topic!

Last edited:

dkreichen1968

Staff member
I disagree with the Washington Post author about her statement that "broadcast TV may be on the decline..." I see a sharp rise in OTA viewers here and across the nation. Ms. Kang has obviously NOT done her homework on that topic!
But that is the myth that OTA opposition must propagate to win the day. OTA has been on the decline for the past 40 years because analog TV was an inefficient and obsolete means of delivering television, but now OTA TV is digital and the only thing holding it back from becoming the dominate means of receiving television is ignorance. The 21st century robber barons are depending on that ignorance persisting long enough for them to pull enough MHz away from broadcasting for its fait to be sealed.