Expired Coupons

How can I get a replacement coupon? Despite having documented information that coupons do not expire until 90 days after mailing date, my coupon that shows a mailing date of 05/09/08, was expired in the system (July 23, 2008), when I recently tried to convert it for a purchase.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
At tvconversionhelp.com, we have seen quite a few emails come in as of late with some pretty valid reasons why consumers haven't been able to use their coupons, but I think yours easily tops them all...

I just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly.

You received your converter box coupons in the mail on 5/9/08, and they expired on 7/23/08 (less than 76 days) after receiving them? Wow.

I would advise contacting someone with the coupon program, but since I've tried emailing them on several different occasions, and only received one automated response that didn't answer a single question, you may want to try to physically write them a letter at...

TV Converter Box Coupon Program
PO Box 2000
Portland, OR 97208-2000

Source: https://www.dtv2009.gov/ContactUs.aspx

Anyway, worst case scenario, it sounds like the government is in the process of possibly approving expired coupon holders to re-apply (See: http://www.tvconversionhelp.com/2008/07/29/converter-box-coupon-update-relief-for-expired-coupons/). Nothing is in writing yet, but if all goes well, there will be an announcement made in a month or two.

machb38

DTVUSA Rookie
No fault of my own-Expired coupons

I have tried no less than six times at various stores, Wal Mart, Radio Shack and Circuit City and the converter boxes were sold out or not in stock yet. The folks administering this program should honor the cards and extend the expiration date to March 2009.

I hope the federal goverment soon realize they make a mistake sending the converter box coupons before they make the converter box ,you can find those boxes no where. carmen from Puerto Rico.Thank you

ljb15

DTVUSA Rookie
has anyone actually found these converters?

In the last 6 months Ive been to all the major stores in my area and still have not seen ONE box!! Are the EBAY HOGS grabbing them????? I have two coupons I cant use that have now expired! Leave it up to our goverment to screw up another program!:mad::confused:

Last edited:
My grandmother (age 88) and mother live 2 hrs. away from me and do not have internet access. They happened to be up so we got their coupons online. They get home and have not been able to find any boxes in stores!! They have called stores 45 minutes away from them looking... one post said order online... they can't do that.... They don't get up here that often so I can't do it for them.... any new word on being able to get new coupons for them?? This is ridiculous. Granny needs a box!!

My grandmother (age 88) and mother live 2 hrs. away from me and do not have internet access. They happened to be up so we got their coupons online. They get home and have not been able to find any boxes in stores!! They have called stores 45 minutes away from them looking... one post said order online... they can't do that.... They don't get up here that often so I can't do it for them.... any new word on being able to get new coupons for them?? This is ridiculous. Granny needs a box!!
OMG, I'm so sorry to hear this. I've got a similar story too, with my grandparents. They're in their eary 80's, and they are still quite active and enjoying their retirement, but they have no clue about converter boxes. They ordered their coupons, and didn't notice the fine print that said that they expired after 90 days. They have a strict budget, and can't affording to spend almost $100 now on these converter boxes.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Hey there Sharrell,
Officials from the NTIA, Federal Communications Commission, and Commerce Department met today on Capitol Hill to discuss the current state of the digital transition. I'm watching the news feeds for any results of the meeting. Hopefully they're going to discuss the expired coupon problems. If I hear anything, I'll be sure to post it to the board.

I too have gone to the stores and they were out of stock. Wal Mart finally received the stock and my coupon expiree two days prior. They would not except the coupon. Why was a short expiration date put on these cards?
Roz McDonald

VelocityStore.com

DTVUSAForum SponsorVelocityStore.com
Hello All,

We're one of the the NTIA approved retailers. We're hoping some kind of plan can be put in place since just under 50% of these coupons are expiring.

So far the only official information we have is that it's not a violation for somebody to give you their cards if they decide not to use them or happen to request them and not need them.

We're a small business that was approved and sell converters online and accept the coupons. We're working as close as we can with various people in the government from the FCC to members of congress to make sure yours voices are being heard.

We recently did a town hall meeting in NYC with the FCC. We were the only non-local company to make an effort and travel all the way there to try to do our part. We even hired an interpreter in case somebody there didn't speak English. (Only one person didn't speak English)

If we hear anything we'll share it here with you. Since we're a small web based business we depend on online communities like this, so we're trying to go to bat for everybody.

If you want to go to our web site VelocityStore.com and leave us feedback under the "contact us" section, we'll compile it into a list and pass it to the government officials we are working with to help raise awareness of the problems everybody is running into.

Please include the date you requested your coupons and when you received them, along with any issues you had in trying to find converters.

Scott & Steve
-----------------

Last edited by a moderator:

Sparks

DTVUSA Member
Where to buy

I ran into the same problem of not finding the converter that I want locally. I settled for buying them online. The box that I thought that I really would like to have but could not locate is the Zenith DTT901. So I ordered it online and even though I do not wish to promote any company or supplier. I was very happy in dealing with a company at Abt Electronics Store - HDTV, Refrigerators, and More. I am sure that there are many others out there on the internet that would work well for anyone. I understand that there has been some online sites take the order, get the money for your coupon and then they never ship the product.

If you are skeptical of ordering online I can say that the abt website worked well for me. I also like the Zenith box, it is what I expected it to be.

I was able to pay for it with PayPal so I did not have to give a stranger my personal information. If you do not use PayPal it is easy to set up and it works well in my opinion. The converter was shipped out the next day on UPS. They emailed me a shipping confirmation with a UPS tracking number and it arrived on schedule. They did not charge for shipping and the price of the box seemed reasonable as compared to how they are priced. They are in another state so I was not charged sales tax and the whole thing came to $59.00. Even though I did not use a government coupon I understand that they will accept them online.

Sparks

DTVUSA Member
Follow up on where to buy

I typed in the website address and it was somehow changed to the name of the store with a short commercial. Do the normal www stuff with abt.com and go to "TV & Audio" and then to "HDTV Recievers".

You know that it is all a ploy to collect for money from the big companies who will be supplying the boxes. If you have cable TV which comes with a box you will not need one. If you have a DVD or other Newer type device VCR, etc you will not need one either as the new ones are designed for digital. So do not jump the gun before you really have to.

How can I get a replacement coupon? Despite having documented information that coupons do not expire until 90 days after mailing date, my coupon that shows a mailing date of 7/25/08 was expired in the system October 9, 2008), when I recently tried to convert it for a purchase. I did not know it has an expiration date on the card. I will not be able to use the cards at all.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
How can I get a replacement coupon? Despite having documented information that coupons do not expire until 90 days after mailing date, my coupon that shows a mailing date of 7/25/08 was expired in the system October 9, 2008), when I recently tried to convert it for a purchase. I did not know it has an expiration date on the card. I will not be able to use the cards at all.
I don't think there's any options open for expired coupons right now, there are a couple of posts and news story's from the web that have mentioned that the government may either extend the expiration date on expired coupons, or allow for everyone to re-apply who has an expired coupon. Make sure you hold onto your expired one's, you may need them!