Facebook traffic plummets in the US

dkreichen1968

Staff member
From The Article:
As its user ranks approach 700 million worldwide, Facebook traffic in the United States has dropped significantly, a sign that the social network behemoth may be on the way down, reports Inside Facebook.

According to statistics from Inside Facebook Gold analytics service — which gets its information from Facebook’s advertising tool — new Facebook users totaled 11.8 million people in May — an impressive number by any stretch of the imagination. But that compares to the 13.9 million who joined in April, and an average of about 20 million in the 12 months prior.

This drop is primarily due to a plunge in registered users in the US. The number of US Facebook users fell from 155.2 million to 149.4 million during the month of May alone. That’s nearly 6 million people who decided they no longer need to stay connected through the service, and is the first time Facebook has lost users in the last year.
Read More: Facebook traffic plummets in the US - Yahoo! News

tvcraze

DTVUSA Member
I think it was also because of so many new changes and also a lot of fake publicity of the site closing down in the near future. Not to mention the news that soon the site will be charging its users. O.O

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
I just don't find Facebook as entertaining as when I first started using it and besides, most of my friends on there are just acquaintances, old high school friends that I don't talk to anymore, or family members that I care not to share some things with.

tvcraze

DTVUSA Member
In all seriousness, I wonder if the drop in traffic has something to do with the new timeline interface.
I believe so. I tried the timeline thing way back October when anyone could test it. But I disabled it and reverted back to the old interface cause I wasn't comfy with it. However, just last week, my profile was changed back to the timeline interface without any notification asking me if I want it to. Now I can't disable it anymore and have to put up with it. :(

n2rj

Staff member
I place the blame squarely on the new UI changes. For starters, "top stories" pissed off a lot of people.

The "timeline" isn't so bad.

tvcraze

DTVUSA Member
I place the blame squarely on the new UI changes. For starters, "top stories" pissed off a lot of people.

yeah. it's not that bad. Thing is, a lot of friends keep on bugging me about how they feel dizzy when they check my wall, stuff like that. It's driving me insane. :D

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member

yeah. it's not that bad. Thing is, a lot of friends keep on bugging me about how they feel dizzy when they check my wall, stuff like that. It's driving me insane. :D
The timeline thing looks cool, except I don't think I like the way posts are put into a profile now. Seems harder to follow.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
I am not a Facebook user and it for me it is a mixed decision. I am not interested in renewing contact with most people I knew as a child and I am very concerned about offering my real name in an International public venue. On the other hand, my High School graduating class has stayed in touch far closer than I would have ever imagined ... and they have a spot on Facebook. So, if I join using an alias, no one will know who I am. Ugh. :hippie:

Jim