Favorite horror show host

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
If you had one he or she may be listed at the link below.

(link deleted by moderator, read below)

Here in Dayton we had Dr. Creep whom hosted Shock Theater every weekend for several years on WKEF 22. The movies were often terrible but everyone tuned in anyway just to see the good Doctor and his latest antics.

Dr. Creep still shows up from time to time in one form of the media or the other but I sure do miss those glory days of Shock Theater on channel 22.

Anyway who was your favorite horror show host back in the day?

Last edited by a moderator:

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
Elvira Mistress of the Dark

They should really bring that back....the Friday Night Freakshow

AMC, before they were killed with adverts used to have a great horror show during the month of October.

Yes616

The Mod Squad
Elvira Mistress of the Dark

They should really bring that back....the Friday Night Freakshow

AMC, before they were killed with adverts used to have a great horror show during the month of October.
Elvira. Ahh that brings back memories. She also hosted a show on MonstersHD (one of the old Voom channels) about monster toys and figurines.

That was a great channel. Voom has been gone a year and a half and I still miss it.

Does anyone out there besides me remember the Cryptkeeper?

lol i found a old VHS copy of the kids' version of the Tales from the Crypt. always laughed rather than took them seriously, either show. the voice was always familiar but i never could place the actor.

A long time ago, there was a large figure of the Cryptkeeper who told stories i am guessing teddy-ruxpin style on cassette. it would animate the lips in sync with the words and his eyes glowed. he also spouted random quotes from the series when people walked by. i think it was in Spencer Gifts, but at the time, $399 was a tad steep. would've been a cool collectible however.

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
Robert Englund reprising Freddy Krueger as host of the "Freddy's Nightmares" series, 1988-90. Low-budget (they shot straight to videotape!), cheesy and kitschy, it was so bad that Englund had nothing to lose by hamming it up to the hilt. Which went a long way toward making it entertaining and darkly humorous, naturally.

Last edited:

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
A long time ago, there was a large figure of the Cryptkeeper who told stories i am guessing teddy-ruxpin style on cassette. it would animate the lips in sync with the words and his eyes glowed. he also spouted random quotes from the series when people walked by. i think it was in Spencer Gifts, but at the time, $399 was a tad steep. would've been a cool collectible however.
Speaking of the Cryptkeeper the other day I bought a $5 dvd from Walmart. It has two older movies with one being Tales from the Crypt and the other titled Vault of Horror.

Both are really entertaining movies and the HBO Tales from the Crypt series was based on the first one in the set. The big difference is the cryptkeeper in the movie is a real person and not scary nor funny like in the HBO series. Good, good stuff never the less. In fact the first story in the movie version is about the insane Santa Clause that escapes from a mental institution. Years later HBO remade that one for an episode of the tv series.

The original Cryptkeeper...

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
For me, it was Bob Wilkins. He sat in his chair and just had that ultimate weird demeanor. I loved watching him. I don't think I've watched a scary movie since he went off the air.

Nickelodeon used to sport a Crypt style show known as Are You Afraid of the Dark? that one can still find on Youtube.

Some of my favs there are:

1. the tale of station 109.1 (guest star includes Gilbert Gottfried--first time i ever saw him as a real person)

2. The tale of the shiney red bicycle

3. the tale of the laughing in the dark

There's a ton still there. it is now long forgotten and part of Nick's history sadly not on DVD (although books and VHS movies are out there)

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Due my my respect for the man I thought I'd bump this up to say that Dayton's favorite horror show host Barry 'Dr. Creep' Hobart passed away on Friday 1-14-11. He had been in poor health for the last few years and suffered a series of severe strokes in late December which left him in a coma.

He was the kind of guy that lived his gimmick to the very end and enjoyed it. He also promised on his website that if his health permitted it, he would make a few public appearances around Halloween.

And he did.

The good Doctor did what he loved to do up until the end and that's what's important.

R.I.P. Dr. Creep

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Good bump for a sad loss. It's ironic because it seems like Elvira's movies have resurfaced again. I'm seeing her stuff all over the place all of a sudden.

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Hey Orrymain, I looked up that Bob Wilkins fellow you listed and now I know where Cinema Insomnia's Mr. Lobo get's his gimmick from.

Looks like Mr. Lobo is a fan of Bob Wilkins too.