Favorite System

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Back in the day, I think the only thing there was to choose from was Playstation and Nintendo. With so many choices out there today, what one game platform would you recommend, especially to a newcomer to games?

The first "System" i had was a Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer that had Atari games ported to the cartridge system it used.

But yeah i remember my first Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)

I'd much rather play them than anything lately though only because the games were FUN. not about 'beating the game' or 'smokin' the competition' or as they say in MMORPGs over XBox Live, 'Pwned'. it was just about the game. playing. fun. beating your friends' high scores. that. i don't care if it has 3D DirectDraw or whatever it's called to day, or if it sucks at 8-bit 4-color CGA. if it's fun, it's fun.

Orrymain

Geez, I forgot all about Atari. They were the pioneers, too. I keep thinking about getting some system, but I don't know. I don't think anything will every beat the old time Centipede and Pac Man for me.

Orrymain

LOL I was a big time Centipede player. It was and still is my favorite. To be honest, I played Pac Man a lot, but it wasn't that big of a favorite. What was the tennis game -- Pong? I loved it!

Pong i think was actually conceived in the Magnavox Odyssey. the bad part was the 'games' were just screen templates taped to the CRT of a TV. the game was still basically Pong but with the scores adjusted.

Pong was the Atari-marketed name though. i played both the Atari variants of Pac-Man and Donkey Kong too. and even in the early 2000s you'd hear the Atari sounds of either game on TV shows, even if they were playing a Playstation 2. i found that funny each time!

Last edited:

Orrymain

Have you heard that Apple is wanting to get into the gaming world now, too? I think it's a natural stretch for them. They operate a little differently, so it could bring some innovation into the realm.

Yes616

The Mod Squad
How did a favorite system thread turn into a vintage system thread? lol

My first gaming system was the old Colecovision. I used to mostly play Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., War Games and something that used to call me a space cadet. It's hard to remember games from the early 1980's.

In the mid-1990's I stepped up to the Super NES. Far and away my top 2 favorites were Super Mario World and Super Metroid.

I just bought a Wii System just a few weeks ago. I am still just getting used to it but I am doing pretty good at the bowling, baseball, tennis and golf games that come with it. Since I liked the Metroid game on the Super NES, I bought Metroid Prime but I have no idea how to play it. So I bought one of those gaming guides on eBay. It should be delivered any day now.

Orrymain

How did a favorite system thread turn into a vintage system thread? lol
Hmmm. We're all old? http://www.dtvusaforum.com/images/smilies/whoo.gif
:whoo:http://www.dtvusaforum.http://www.dtvusaforum.com/images/smilies/whoo.gif
:whoo:com/images/smilies/whoohttp://www.dtvusaforum.com/images/smilies/whoo.gif
:whoo:.gif
:whoo:

Sometimes new isn't always better, and I think just chatting about the new naturally took us back to the beginnings. I think it was more fun back then, too.

Orrymain

And obviously I don't know how to add those smilies, but I was laughing and thought I'd try. I think I'll stick with just doing :} or <g>. It's more reliable for me. LOL

-----<<--@

Remember ASCII art like the 'rose' above?

Far as PC Games go, i still have a collection of the older WWII Sims like Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, Battlehawks 1942, and Their Finest Hour, the Battle of Britain. all three lucasfilm titles.

That and Oregon trail (who HASN'T played that one?!) and Super Solvers' games.

Remember the Software Toolworks title, 'Life and Death?' lol!

I am sorry to say i never got to experience the C-64 or Amiga, although the 'Guru Meditation' crash of one of those computers must've been interesting lol

I did have experience though with the Apple // and //e all up to the IIgs. i still remember when our school upgraded from the one-color monochrome // and //e to the 'brand new' IIgs, and how amazing it was to finally play those games in faster speeds AND in color lol!

Orrymain

-----<<--@

Remember ASCII art like the 'rose' above?

Far as PC Games go, i still have a collection of the older WWII Sims like Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, Battlehawks 1942, and Their Finest Hour, the Battle of Britain. all three lucasfilm titles.

That and Oregon trail (who HASN'T played that one?!) and Super Solvers' games.

Remember the Software Toolworks title, 'Life and Death?' lol!
Oh, man, we were big time into ASCII art over on Prodigy. We couldn't get enough of it back in the day; that and wav files. Gee, that was another lifetime ago.

I think the WII games and products are more my style these days, just from what I've read.

PC is my favorite system, the culmination of use and has the highest graphical prowess to boot. Back in the days, i was a Sony fan with my Psx, but today, I'll gladly play any fps over the pc.

Ah, WAVs, the MP3s of yesteryear. i remember once when i was too cheap to buy a pentium i had an old Gateway 2000 3/33 (386 33MHz) that i, for the heck of it, installed a 1x CD Burner into. the thing was too slow to process an MP3 let alone burn one (wrote to 50% and ejected it saying 'couldn't write CD') but it did fine with WAV files. so i had to find a program which converted a MP3 to WAV and voila i could burn a CD on a 386!

The Software Toolworks title, Life and Death was a pretty in-depth game for the early DOS days:

Keep in mind, this was LOONG before ratings!

Don't forget Midnight Rescue!

Sheesh before the Internet came out in full-force, i played the heck outta these games!

thor79

DTVUSA Member
I'm a PC Gamer...but if I had to choose a console I'd go with my 360. My main reason is the controller (PS3's gives me hand cramps) and the overall online experience...MS has it nailed with XBL. Sony still needs a lot of work on their online experience.

My first gaming system was an old Compaq portable (the original "Luggable" suitcase PC), which we still have, and I believe is still in working condition (last time I checked it at least, probably 6-7 years ago). Played a lot of Dig Dug on that thing.

My first console was the NES. Consoles have never stuck with me for too long...I usually always end up selling them. Went through two PS2's between GTA:VC and GTA:SA (sold each ps2 after I got my fill of the game)...and now I have another for the older Metal Gear Solid games. I've had my 360 and PS3 for a while...probably because I still have games I haven't yet gotten to.

I hate the inverse relationship between money and time. The more money you have the less time you have. When I had the time to game I didn't have the money to do it. Now that I have the money I simply don't have enough time in the day to play all the games. I have a number of unfinished games...games I was excited for...but ended up getting shelved in favor of a newer game. Games in that category include:
Dragon Age: Origins (replaced by Assassin's Creed 2)
Borderlands (Replaced by Dragon Age)
Left 4 Dead 2 (Replaced by Borderlands)
Fable 2 (Replaced by Fallout 3)

Some recent games I haven't even installed yet:
Uncharted 2
Need For Speed Shift
A ton of games on Steam (damn those weekend deals!)

Right now I'm working on Mass Effect 2 (PC). For the foreseeable future I don't really see any games I want...so I may be able to catch up a bit. Though ME2 will likely get at least a couple more playthroughs after I finish my first one.

Some of you may be surprised to hear this, but my favorite current game system(as in still has games being made for it) would be the Nintendo DS. Why is this? Simply because it is the only current game system that I own, and it also has a ton of RPG's which is my favorite genre.