I used to LOVE

• Full House
  • Family Matters
  • Fresh Prince
  • Seventh Heaven
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Angel
  • Gilligans Island

and I am sure I have missed a few. I was never really into cartoons or all of the digital effects you see now, especially in movies.

Favorite movies are

• Grease
  • Don't Tell Mom the Babysitters Dead
  • Scream
  • Kiss the Girls

Other Favorites

• Wes Craven
  • Morgan Freeman
  • TLC
  • Discovery
  • Ghost Hunters
  • Paranormal investigation shows, especially with Aliens {documentaries}
  • Pretty Little Liars
  • Ravenswood

Things I really don't like
  • Cartoons or anime {i just cant get into them, i try}
  • The kids TV shows, the acting is so horrible
  • When an AMAZING book is turned into a blah movie, like Angels and Demons- Dan Brown
  • Commercials that are aimed at kids. my children have begged and saved for things we insist are junk and then they are extremely disappointed because the commercial made the product look amazing
  • A large majority of the reality shows- especially the ones that lack reality

Cadus

DTVUSA Member
Shows I hate: all reality tv shows. The fact that there are cameras to record this stuff prove that there's nothing realistic about this stuff. If there is a camera in the room, there is no way that you are going to act the same as if there wasn't.

Favorite movies: Whatever movie I've seen last.
Used to love: Cartoon Network
Now I love: Adventure shows, most of the time anime. In all honesty, the fact that you never watched cartoons probably ruins your chance to ever like them. And you're missing out. Not an opinion--it's fact.

Marisa

DTVUSA Member
Now I love: Adventure shows, most of the time anime. In all honesty, the fact that you never watched cartoons probably ruins your chance to ever like them. And you're missing out. Not an opinion--it's fact.
I grew up watching cartoons, I just never enjoyed them, once everything went computer based I enjoyed them even less. I like to watch something that has at least one thing in it that I can relate to, I can't relate to a cartoon. As a child I loved the original Spiderman Series. As I got older and realized that he wasn't possibly real I moved on.

Now that I have my own children and have been watching Nickelodeon and the other popular kid channels I get frustrated by the poor acting, the plot of the show may be good but the acting or lack of, ruins it for me. Nearly all the shows aimed at children remove any need for them to have an imagination and as a result unless most kids are given step by step instructions they can't come up with things to do on their own.
As far as adult cartoons go, I find them mind-numbing. They don't offer anything to encourage intellectual growth. While they do hold some well done artistry, they are for the most part boring.

Cadus

DTVUSA Member
Check out this thread. I explain anime to people that have no idea what it is.
http://www.dtvusaforum.com/general-tv-chat/55705-what-your-thoughts-anime.html
If you're finding that they're boring, you're not looking in the right place. The stuff I watch, I watch to unleash my imagination, to escape from reality. To say that they remove any need for imagination is quite the bold statement considering everything on the screen came from someone's head.

You said that you watch Nickelodeon. I don't know how old your kids are, but the show Avatar: The Last Airbender and its sequel "The Legend of Korra" completely invents a world for itself and delves into adolescents and their struggles in it. And you cannot tell me that Poke'mon stifles the imagination. I don't care if you like or dislike Poke'mon, you have to agree that it stimulates creativity more than iCarly, or whatever else is on Nick these days.

I don't know how old your kids are but if they're 14 or up watch Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood from Netflix if you can. Or at least read the premise on Wiki or something. That is one creative and mature show. Here's some of the stuff that Wiki has to say:
"The world of Fullmetal Alchemist is styled after the European Industrial Revolution. Set in a fictional universe in which alchemy is one of the most advanced scientific techniques, the story follows the Elric brothers Edward and Alphonse, who are searching for a philosopher's stone to restore their bodies after a failed attempt to bring their mother back to life using alchemy."

Sorry I'm going off. I just know that most people have a skewed view of animation because of the crap that is shown to kids on TV these days.

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
Shows I love:
Merlin
Mythbusters
Fresh prince
Ghost Hunters shows, whether it is ghost hunters themselves, or some other ghost show.

Shows I hate:
Storm chasers=Just because I know that when tornado's hit someone somewhere is going to die.(My husband just loves storm chasers, he finds tornado's beautiful)= We think so differently lol.
Most cartoon's except for Scooby-doo.

Movies I love:
Twilight(Mostly the first movie its self, the rest were ok, i guess)
P.S. I love you
love and basketball
And a few others that I cant seem to name off hand.

Just love in general:
Literally all books.
Dogs
The fact that instead of being able to hear like most people, I literally feel vibrations (Normally I can feel the vibrations of a vehicle if it is coming, now there are a few vehicles I have noticed I actually cannot feel, which it worries me.)
That fact that I can actually talk to my husband without anyone knowing what we are saying to each other because nine times out of ten most people we know do not either know how to sign or even read lips.= but the unfortunate part for us is that is works on his family, but sense my family grew up with me, it doesn't work. They automatically know when we are up to something lol.
Things I just cant stand in general:
Snakes
Spiders
Being in crowds
Not being able to actually hear someone talk=That just drives me insane, even though I have delt with being part deaf my whole life.

Marisa

DTVUSA Member
It isn't necessarily Anime that I am speaking about, its cartoons in general, especially the ones aimed towards children. The reason I say they inhibit imagiination is because kids, not just my own, seem to not know how to entertain themselves if they arent watching tv or playing a video game. While structured activity is great my concern is with children not playing outside as much, living on their computers etc and in general not being able to come up with something to do without a game or show to tell them.
While I do appreciate the artistic values in both Anime and cartoons I find nearly all Anime I have encountered to be rather violent and a lot of people say that its okay because its a cartoon to let kids watch them an as a result kids seem to get more disrespecful. With that I mean you watch the Simpons and you see how the kid dont care about life and they undermine their parents and the parents look stupid as heck and when watched regularly the kids begin to mimic these behaviours and parents don't understand why.
While these shows can be amazing for adults, especially people who LOVE art, I don't believe they should have a place on kids TV channels because of the false impression that it would be okay.

I hope that makes sense because I really do respect it, i dont personally enjoy it and i take issue with the violent aspects being for kids. If I didnt have kids I would likely feel differently but kids nowadays deal with enough with grades, and shootings and evacuations and lock downs and fires and whatever else they can put together to test i dont think they need the added violent triggers.

Marisa

DTVUSA Member
Shows I love:
Merlin
Mythbusters
Fresh prince
Ghost Hunters shows, whether it is ghost hunters themselves, or some other ghost show.

Shows I hate:
Storm chasers=Just because I know that when tornado's hit someone somewhere is going to die.(My husband just loves storm chasers, he finds tornado's beautiful)= We think so differently lol.

Movies I love:
P.S. I love you
love and basketball

Just love in general:
Literally all books.
Dogs
The fact that instead of being able to hear like most people, I literally feel vibrations (Normally I can feel the vibrations of a vehicle if it is coming, now there are a few vehicles I have noticed I actually cannot feel, which it worries me.)
That fact that I can actually talk to my husband without anyone knowing what we are saying to each other because nine times out of ten most people we know do not either know how to sign or even read lips.= but the unfortunate part for us is that is works on his family, but sense my family grew up with me, it doesn't work. They automatically know when we are up to something lol.
Snakes
Spiders
Being in crowds
Not being able to actually hear someone talk=That just drives me insane, even though I have delt with being part deaf my whole life.
It sounds like despite your hearing that you have a lot of successes. i can't imagine ever being deaf or blind and I won't even attempt to understand it.
My cousin is partly/mostly deaf and while she signs she also can talk but is hard to understand, she can hear you reply and reads lips. It's interesting that you mention feeling sound as she was spending the night here several years ago and i was playing an amanda marshall song on my stereo and she was upstairs in a different area of the house and was suddenly singing along. My dad said to her "i thought you were deaf" and she said "i can feel the music".
How other senses take over for us is truly a miracle and I am always surprised when I watch TV shows that document these types of things. The human body and mind is very interesting and complex.

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
It sounds like despite your hearing that you have a lot of successes. i can't imagine ever being deaf or blind and I won't even attempt to understand it.
My cousin is partly/mostly deaf and while she signs she also can talk but is hard to understand, she can hear you reply and reads lips. It's interesting that you mention feeling sound as she was spending the night here several years ago and i was playing an amanda marshall song on my stereo and she was upstairs in a different area of the house and was suddenly singing along. My dad said to her "i thought you were deaf" and she said "i can feel the music".
How other senses take over for us is truly a miracle and I am always surprised when I watch TV shows that document these types of things. The human body and mind is very interesting and complex.
Yes it is, that is for sure. But I have noticed that most people seem to be able to walk just fine, meaning they don't have a tendency to just fall. That part I found out when I was younger is due to my hearing. But it seems much more complicated with being 27 weeks pregnant on top of the hearing problem. But you learn to figure out what you can and shouldn't be doing really fast!

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
One of the things I hate are networks that start out in one direction and then change it, like Nick, TV Land, and SyFy (Sci Fi). Some good TV has been lost from changes in direction, at least in my opinion.

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
One of the things I hate are networks that start out in one direction and then change it, like Nick, TV Land, and SyFy (Sci Fi). Some good TV has been lost from changes in direction, at least in my opinion.
I have to agree. I have even noticed that a TV show series will start out really well and then just become basically dumb. In some shows its like they change it completely and its not even a good show any more. Which I have yet to actually figure out why they do that. I mean if they are doing that and they notice the drop in viewers you would think they would spice it up a little more to make people want to keep watching. I mean I watched a show once, cant remember the name anymore. But I waited a few weeks to see if it would change around, considering that they knew a lot of viewers were not watching any more and they still kept doing stupid stuff to the show. So eventually just stopped watching all together. Later that year they decided to announce that it wasn't going to air anymore. Then you have really good shows that just stop! Like season 5 of merlin was the last season... That just ticked me off. Now I am trying to find other shows that could match it and are like it. But unfortunately nothing!

Shows I love:
Merlin
Mythbusters
Fresh prince

Shows I hate:

Movies I love:
P.S. I love you
love and basketball

Just love in general:
Literally all books.
Dogs
Snakes
Spiders
Being in crowds
Fresh Prince will always be one of the greatest television shows . Will Smith is such a great actor and comedian. Him and Carlton together, oh man how I love the show. Will was always doing something to get under Uncle Phil's skin. He practically got blamed for everything because he would get involved in the things he shouldn't have. Always running after the ladies and wanting to party. Carlton of course is the typical geek. He care about his Princeton studies, even though he got his self into trouble as well, especially hanging around Will. There's nothing wrong with being a geek, intelligence is the essential. Love and Basketball showed true love. They grew up liking one another and dating off, and on during certain periods of their lives. No matter how many other relationships they would get in, it did not stop the true love from coming back together in the end. They say you will know when it's meant to be and if it's true love , than it will find it's way back together again. Omar Epps is just a handsome actor and I forgot the lady name that played in it with him. But she is a pretty actress and does well playing her roles in the movies. Now as for Twilight, which I do believe you are talking about the modern day twilight with the vampires right. Well if that is the Twilight you're talking about than I am a major fan of the series. It's just something about vampires that caught my eye, not their scary side to character , but their uniquely weird sense of romance. Their speed and ability to survive up against some appalling creatures out there. People say in Transylvania there are real vampires or were real vampires at least. I wouldn't mind going to see for myself, but there's just one thing. If these creatures are real , than how the heck am I going to run fast enough to get out of their site. They're too fast and plus they can fly. That is absolutely crazy, but those are the things that are a part of life. There is really a lot of stuff out there that people don't know about. We think that a lot of this stuff is just television, but it's reality. Any and everything could happen in life. That's how I look at it, maybe because of my religious background that's why I don't underestimate anything that could occur. Now when it comes to Scooby - doo, you and I are on really on the same page. I think he is such a cute dog. The fact that these team members work together to take down the villains, is pretty cool. This is a cartoon that I grew up watching. But to each of own.