FCC open monthly meeting for June to focus entirely on DTV

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
I don't know if this is news worthy but the FCC has scheduled it's entire meeting to focus on DTV related items for it's June meeting.

"WASHIGNTON: The Federal Communications Commission said its regular open monthly meeting for June will focus entirely on the DTV transition. The meeting will consist of presentations and discussions with agency officials as well as folks from industry and consumer groups. A list of presenters is to be distributed some time before the June 3 meeting, scheduled for 9:30 a.m. in room TW-C305, at the Portals--445 12th Street, S.W., Washington, D.C. "

It's from here TVB | FCC Does All-DTV June Meeting

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Even though it ain't their problem, I'd like to ask them "Where's my Retro TV"?

They should suspend the license of every tv broadcaster in Dayton, Ohio until one of them adds Retro TV to their subchannels!

Yea! :)

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
Even though it ain't their problem, I'd like to ask them "Where's my Retro TV"?

They should suspend the license of every tv broadcaster in Dayton, Ohio until one of them adds Retro TV to their subchannels!

Yea! :)
I doubt that's necessary (or legal). If I was a betting person, I'd say WHIO is the most likely to affiliate. Cox owns several RTN affiliates already. I'm surprised it hasn't already landed there.

- Trip

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Thanks, Trip!

That gives me some hope.

Maybe WHIO will dump their boring 24 hour weather channel for the Retro Television Network? Or maybe they'll add it as another subchannel?

I'll try to give them a call by early next week to ask them about it.

Last edited:

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I think that's fascinating about the meeting, and it should be addressed. This is a huge change for the country, and even if it's still a small number who haven't yet made the change, it needs to stay in focus. I would be curious to see what ends up being discussed.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
I think they recognize the need to provide critics one last opportunity to vent before the transition. In doing so, perhaps it will dampen the coverage of the criticism of the transition afterward, since the FCC press might be reticent to providing so much airtime to something which is a done deal and had already been recently rehashed.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Venting is highly underrated. Most consumers get upset at businesses for a) not listening and b) not acknowledging their feelings in earnest. Letting people have their say again is probably a very good strategy for the long haul.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
It is an interesting point: Venting often does benefit those at whom the venting is directed. The really insidious thing is that venting by consumers often actually harms consumers! Seeing someone else venting tends to foster an expectation in the reader that the often-unfounded expectations on which the venting is based are actually valid (even only in part, despite that not being the case), and thereby fosters in the readers similar unfounded expectations. This in turn underlies more venting, and so on, in a death spiral where consumers get continually and unrelentingly less and less satisfied with everything, until they have a wholly negative view on everything, and therefore are satisfied by nothing.

In the old days, people complained when they were explicitly and unequivocally promised something, and didn't receive it. Now, people vent whenever they're frustrated, whenever there is any gap between what they want and what they get, without regard to what they were explicitly promised. It's a cancer on society. Pretty sad.

In the old days, people complained when they were explicitly and unequivocally promised something, and didn't receive it. Now, people vent whenever they're frustrated, whenever there is any gap between what they want and what they get, without regard to what they were explicitly promised. It's a cancer on society. Pretty sad.
Don't confuse complaining with open dialogue. There are people with legitimate issues (ie: costs to upgrade repeaters, fringe reception of dtv signals, etc.). While there will probably be venting at the FCC meeting, there are some key issues that need to be addressed too.