FCC Tees Up Initial Broadcast Spectrum Reclamation Moves

Chips

DTVUSA Member
From This article FCC Tees Up Initial Broadcast Spectrum Reclamation Moves  - 2010-10-20 23:30:00 | Broadcasting & Cable
?
The FCC next month will take the first big steps toward freeing up broadcast and other spectrum for wireless broadband, FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski plans to announce at a spectrum "summit" at the FCC Thursday. The FCC will release a new analysis of the spectrum crisis, and will try to encourage some broadcasters to move off some of their spectrum and others to move into the VHF band."

n2rj

Staff member
Low VHF is pretty much unusable due to noise and other environmental factors. High VHF here is occupied, nearly every channel.

Where exactly are broadcasters going to go?

Chips

DTVUSA Member
Low VHF is pretty much unusable due to noise and other environmental factors. High VHF here is occupied, nearly every channel.

Where exactly are broadcasters going to go?
On the surface it would appear that broadcasters might be given two choices, sell your spectrum, or land up on low VHF. But time will tell.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Well, yesterday Julius Genachowski said they plan on working on improving VHF reception inorder to lure broadcasters there. Like you say high-VHF tends to be full, so the only way I see is to up the real and allowable power on low VHF. When my parents low VHF station works it looks great. When there is interference it's gone. But, it is 48 miles away, the top of the tower is at the same elevation as my parents house, and it's only running at 16 kw.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Low VHF travels / propagates too well, causing interference in neighboring markets. Not a good plan..

n2rj

Staff member
It's not so much that it travels well, but moreso that propagation via tropo, Es or even F2 in some cases is pretty unpredictable for low VHF frequencies.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
It's not so much that it travels well, but moreso that propagation via tropo, Es or even F2 in some cases is pretty unpredictable for low VHF frequencies.
Thats kinda what I meant. Sorry I shouldn't post when its that early in the day. I was up most of the night with a baby that just wants to cry and/or eat all night. Your time is coming soon, Ryan!!... *Yawn*

Are any of Julius Genachowski's plans ever good?
Never.

genachowski.jpg "Orange" Julius

Last edited:

n2rj

Staff member
We had lots of problems with analog channel 2 in Trinidad and Tobago. During the high Es season we would get a ton of interference from neighboring Venezuela. The rest of the year was fine. But during high Es season we'd get rolling bars on the screen.

The local TV station (there was only one back then) wanted to move to channel 5, but scrapped the idea because so many people had single channel yagis for channel 2.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Remarks of Commissioner Robert M. McDowell

"Emphasizing spectral efficiency is crucial in light of the realities that are shaping
America’s wireless future. In practical terms, even if we could identify 500 megahertz of quality spectrum to reallocate today, the better part of a decade would transpire before we could write proposed auction rules and band plans, analyze public comment, adopt rules, hold an auction, collect the proceeds, clear the bands, and watch carriers build out and turn on their networks. So, in the meantime, helping innovators create and deploy new technologies to enhance more efficient use of the airwaves has to be a top priority for all of us."

http://www.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2010/db1021/DOC-302340A1.pdf