FCC Website Shutdown

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Has anyone been to fcc.gov lately, since the government shutdown? The website is completely down!

We regret the disruption, but during the Federal Government-wide shutdown, the FCC is limited to performing duties that are immediately necessary for the safety of life or the protection of property. FCC online systems will not be available until further notice.
Federal Communications Commission

I don't get it. I understand that operation of the FCC is shut down, but WHY would they take information offline?
1) Obama believes the republicans will take most of the blame for all the effects of the shutdown.
2) Point of fact, all the main stream media consistently calls this a "republican shutdown" even though the repubs and the democs are equally (ir)responsible. Two days ago, the public blamed repubs over dems 39% to 36%. Now the gap has widened to 54/37 .
3) Obama will make every effort to make the shutdown as unpleasant as possible. Even though the decision is entirely his, in politics perception is reality.

Ever notice when the school board wants a tax increase they threaten to CUT THE SPORTS PROGRAM?? They'd never consider cutting personnel like the assistant to the assistant to the vice principal. Noooo - that's essential spending.

R.

Last edited:

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Rickie is right: it costs nothing to keep an existing database online BUT if you want to hurt citizens, take it offline. Thanks DemoRATS.

Jim

KrissB

DTVUSA Member
No racism intended here, but it's strange that Obama is the 1st Black President, and he's the 1st to "Shutdown the Government"? lol I dunno, I expected not too much to change as Obama being President. I never expected this type of scenario. Maybe it's just a coincidence what has happened? We all pretty well, it was probably inevitable. I've often thought if I had the power to stand up, and start a revolution, the White House would be the 1st stand. Call me crazy if you must, but if you recognize some of the errors that go on inside the White House, imagine the errors that you missed! If I had to guess, a study would suggest 50% or more people are corrupt in some way. That alone would constitute reason enough to shut down the government. It's amazing how guarded it is, yet what is inside is the real problem!

Just to say, I don't blame Obama directly, only the position he holds. Most "Leaders" have all the power in the world, but no way to use it. It's kinda like your boss. Sure he can fire you, or give you a raise, however he has to get the Ok's from his "Leaders" it becomes a counsel so to speak (if not exactly). So, put 50% reputable members, and 50% not so reputable, and tell me how many reputable's you have after a few years! I don't know, maybe it's just negativity, or something. I'd like to say I got it figured out, just so I can sleep at night knowing what the problem is, rather than staying up at night to debate it with myself (and deem me classifiably crazy)!

I just hope it doesn't go on for too long, as I am some how still paying taxes... Hmm, Government shutdown, yet, I'm paying taxes???

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Kriss,

NONSENSE about your suggestion of racism.

... "This is the 12th shutdown since 1981. The last and longest shutdown occurred from December 1995 into January 1996 under the Bill Clinton administration and spanned 21 days. It came just a month after a six-day shutdown in November 1995." ...

History of US Government Shutdowns

KrissB

DTVUSA Member
Kriss,

NONSENSE about your suggestion of racism.

... "This is the 12th shutdown since 1981. The last and longest shutdown occurred from December 1995 into January 1996 under the Bill Clinton administration and spanned 21 days. It came just a month after a six-day shutdown in November 1995." ...

History of US Government Shutdowns
My ignorance has been nullified in this topic then! lol In 1995... I was expanding my ignorance! :\ I normally Google this type of stuff before I comment, guess I should've Google'd instead of goofing! :D I should have expected this has happened before, I think I kind of remember some of it back then. It would have just been a joke to me at that time, much like now. Hopefully it won't last more than 4-5 months (I'd be super angry not to get my tax refund)! So, Obama is just as typical as any of the previous Presidents. Not saying it helps or hinders his status.

Hey, me and my wife never agree, I think I'll shut down... Oh wait that's what she does... lol... Childish, irresponsible, and yet expected this day and age.

It's not racist to suggest that when you give a closely knit group of people an easy excuse they will take it every time. I honestly don't think there is any problem with racism anymore in America, except for the problem fueled by the race baiting industry, starting with Sharpton, Jackson, et al. They have black people believing every time you look cross eyed at one of them it's a snub cause by racism -- neglecting the fact this happens half a dozen times a day to everyone on the planet.

The reason blacks are doing so poorly today in the U.S. is not racism. They were doing ten times better 50 years ago, when racism was really still a huge problem. The reason for their plight is the easy excuse.

Jason may well decide to delete this post, but of course I think all colored folk would be healthier, wealthier and wiser to read an embrace it. THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE.

Rick

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
Rickie is right: it costs nothing to keep an existing database online BUT if you want to hurt citizens, take it offline. Thanks DemoRATS.

Jim
No, it's quite a bit cheaper to pull it offline. A static web page uses significantly less bandwidth and CPU time, and you can turn off all the separate database servers to save electricity. Plus, you have to keep someone on staff to monitor an active database in case it gets hacked; a database that is turned off cannot be remotely hacked. Furthermore, any deadlines that may be on the website may be inaccurate with the government shut down, and no information is generally considered to be preferable to inaccurate information.

The reason for this shutdown is that no money was appropriated, and agencies are not allowed to spend money that has not been appropriated unless the activities provided for involved the protection of life or property. Most, though not all, of the FCC's activities are considered to not impact life or property, thus only 2% of FCC employees are still around and every attempt to reduce expenditures had to be made.

- Trip

Fringe Reception

Staff member
... The reason for this shutdown is that no money was appropriated, and agencies are not allowed to spend money that has not been appropriated unless the activities provided for involved the protection of life or property. Most, though not all, of the FCC's activities are considered to not impact life or property, thus only 2% of FCC employees are still around and every attempt to reduce expenditures had to be made. - Trip
All the mainstream media outlets reported before the shutdown, "non-essetial personalle will been furloughed" and as of yesterday it was agreed all Federal Employees will receive back-pay after the shutdown ends. Yet, on the second day of the "Closing of the Government" PBS received $445,000,000.00 borrowed Chinese dollars to continue. I ask, why are PBS employees so much more important than FCC employees?

I would be satisfied to have an opportunity to try to catch up on hundreds of "old" NOVA productions I have missed viewing and I do not think continuing new productions are "essential" in any way.

I guess I'll have to ask Harry Reed and his party of NO about this.

Jim

KrissB

DTVUSA Member
All the mainstream media outlets reported before the shutdown, "non-essetial personalle will been furloughed" and as of yesterday it was agreed all Federal Employees will receive back-pay after the shutdown ends. Yet, on the second day of the "Closing of the Government" PBS received $445,000,000.00 borrowed Chinese dollars to continue. I ask, why are PBS employees so much more important than FCC employees?

I would be satisfied to have an opportunity to try to catch up on hundreds of "old" NOVA productions I have missed viewing and I do not think continuing new productions are "essential" in any way.

I guess I'll have to ask Harry Reed and his party of NO about this.

Jim
$445 million? Wow, I'm uncertain what PBS has to offer. With that kind of money one would think they would be able to compete with Disney, or Nickelodeon, as far as their learning side. However, they do kind of touch on everything. Is it just me, or do they try to compete with every network (I've yet to see sports however)? This would be a tough game to play, so I guess $445 million would be pennies vs 1 type of network.

As far as 'topic related', it's amazing that government employees can do nothing to get way too much! If I was laid off, I'd not get back pay, and would not be allowed to do nothing while I was laid off (I'd be forced to look for work). I don't think they are doing well by any means, but standing next to me, they would be! :p

KrissB

Anyone else see the irony in that the the Obamacare websites are (sort of) up and trying to run while many of the rest of the guv'ment sites are offline? This administration's hypocrisy is astounding and the MSM just gives them a pass.

Today, NBC reported that Obama decided not to pay death benefits to families of fallen soldiers, including the families of five killed in Afghanistan over the weekend. Congress unanimously passed a bill that pays our military during the shutdown, and Obama’s signed that law. Yet, the chosen one cleverly determined that "our military" does not include these families. This is entirely within his discretion. In past government shutdowns, these benefits were paid so families could give their stricken loved ones a decent burial. Yet, somehow, money can be found to keep his favorite golf course open at Andrews Air Force Base.

I think he may default on the debt simply because he likes to see things blow up...
"Ooooh, look at all those rich bankers losing their jobs... Millions of rich thousandaires losing their life savings... Boom! Riots in the street? Declare martial law! Hey, I could have my national guard count the ballots in 2014!! Throw enough republican representatives in jail, so there's a democratic majority in the house, yet retain a quorum!!!"

Poor Richard's News - Obama admin refuses to pay death benefits to families of fallen military personnel during shutdown

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Washington Times article: PRUDEN: The cheap tricks of the game - Washington Times

... " ... (Senator Reid) in his exchange with Dana Bash, a reporter for CNN asked why, if he is concerned about children with cancer who are unable to enter clinical trials for new drugs because Mr. Obama shut down the National Institutes of Health, why stifle Republican attempts to grant a little relief? “If you can help one child who has cancer, why wouldn’t you do it?” the reporter asked.

“Why would we want to do that?” Mr. (Senator) Reid snapped back." ...
----------------------

Man Ticketed For Running in 'Closed' Valley Forge Historical National Park

Delco Man Ticketed For Running in ‘Closed’ Valley Forge Park « CBS Philly

... "When he returned to his car, Bell’s attorney Jeremy Ibrahim, says, his client found himself confronted by two armed park rangers with their cruiser lights flashing.

“They told him, ‘Don’t you know the park is closed?’ Of course he tells them, ‘Well, look around, there are people walking their dogs, riding bikes, running.’ And they said, ‘Well, the park’s closed.’ ”

Ibrahim says they wrote Bell up for violating an administrative closure, which carries a fine of $100." ...
----------------------

Park Rangers Told Make Life Difficult As Possible, Private Homeowners Given 24 Hour Eviction

Park Rangers Told Make Life Difficult As Possible, Private Homeowners Given 24 Hour Eviction

Last edited:

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Is this another critical Federal Government expenditure?

(Monday) Shutdown Day 7: Utah National Guard Gets $47,174.00 Mechanical Bull

"The government shutdown may be keeping furloughed federal workers at home, but on Monday the U.S. Army contracted to buy a mechanical bull. The $47,174 contract was awarded on Oct. 7 to Mechanical Bull Sales Inc. of State College, Penn." ...

'Shutdown' Day 7: Government Buys $47,174 Mechanical Bull | CNS News