FireFox Internet Browser

TonyT

DTVUSA Member
Our IT guy switched the office over to FireFox Mozilla browser this weekend and I'm impressed. Never mind the fact that I visit forums occasionally while at work ;) but when I type a post up, Firefox actually spell checks and suggests corrections before I even post. Pretty nice...

Try Safari for Windows (Mac uses this as standard) it has the same features as FireFox, but a simpler interface plus it remembers history so well that for this site all i have to do is type 'DTV' and it fills in the rest! :D

I find the spell/grammar check very annoying though. i spell out words that are correct but if i use a slash or it's part of a sentence it underlines it and i can't stand that.

Brand names or internet lingo (like LOL or DTVPal ) get tagged as misspellings.

Thank goodness it doesn't get all 'clbuttic' like the auto-filters web sites used to use.

"Apple made the clbuttic mistake of getting rid of its visionary, i mean, look at what NeXT is up to!"

Back when filters used to auto-filter websites in the name of making them family-friendly, it would get overzealous and try filtering any part of a word with the 'bad word' in the middle, as some attempt at filtering those who tried to sneak in a bad word. unfortunately it took the 'a-s-s' in the word 'Classic" as a bad word trying to sneak past the filter, so the word was mangled as 'Clbuttic'.

In humorous situations this error would make history fun! it would change the words to say 'Abraham Lincoln was Buttbuttinated by an armed buttailant after trying to reform the United States Conbreastution.'

More words changed to funny non-words by the filter:

Passerby ---> Pbutterby

Title ---> Breastle (changing 'tit' to the supposedly friendly 'Breast')

Passport ---> Pbuttport

Bluegrass ---> Bluegrbutt

Bass ---> Bbutt

Making that last one funny was the phrase 'I just ate a delicious Bbutt fish'

Or change names such as 'Gay' to 'Homosexual' which had a bad effect on news of the olympic sprinter Tyson Gay being referred to on AFA as 'Tyson Homosexual was a blur in blue, sprinting 100 yards faster than any man could.'

Last edited:

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
More words changed to funny non-words by the filter:

Passerby ---> Pbutterby

Title ---> Breastle (changing 'tit' to the supposedly friendly 'Breast')

Passport ---> Pbuttport

Bluegrass ---> Bluegrbutt

Bass ---> Bbutt
LOL, yeah that's something you want to watch for before you post or send an email out. They've got a "Add to dictionary" option on those words too. ;)

I've been testing Google Chrome for the last few weeks and it's been pretty good to me. Very lite on memory/cpu, and seems fast. I've always had a love/hate thing with FireFox. Once you get passed the setup/downloads/java enabling, it's ok, but I'm between IE and Chrome now.

Firefox and Safari are both open source browsers made off the Mozilla platform.
they are more secure than IE as IE has so many holes in the back door it is pathetic, and every time they fix one they open five more. I only use firefox for online banking and transactions never IE. yea it takes a while to get all the plugins to work but that means no extra blout that we don't need.

Byte24

DTVUSA Member
I switched a few years back to FF for the tabbed browsing alone. Better security, faster speed, and easy to control. It's just plain good. :)

acwriter

DTVUSA Member
I do love my Firefox a lot more than I did my IE. I found out about Firefox through my Circuit City Tech guy, who I got to see way more than I should have; with a new laptop. Finally, after one of my almost weekly visits; he told me about Firefox. He probably shouldn't have, since I didn't have to visit him as often thereafter. It was amazing the viruses that IE was letting through and that Firefox doesn't. I was moaning about the sorry computer I bought, when it was actually the browser.

Another reason I love Firefox, is all the cool add-ons you can play with. Yes, I know having colored tabs, isn't necessary to doing an efficient job. But, it looks nice. Some of my favorite add-ons are; Fast Dial - I can have my favorite web pages listed as thumbnails 9 to a page, Read It Later, Tool Bar Buttons, Fox Saver and so many others. Occasionally, I will download a few off the Firefox website just to see what they do & if I would really use them.

Last edited:

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Firefox is Way superior to IE IMO. Need I say security. Since I only use Linux OS. ;)
What do you mean security? Windows includes all kinds of security. Oops! You mean security to protect your PC against adware, spyware and trojan attacks not security to protect MS from pirating:whoo: Let me also say upfront I do NOT support piracy.

You Linux OS guys are a special breed.. ;) Two of my friends (graduated from ASU top of the class with EE degrees) swear by Linux and curse anything IE. Seems like too much work for me. ;)
I use nothing but Linux on my PCs, but I repair a lot of PCs running MS products. In my opinion Linux is easier because of the open source. The owner/administrator is able to modify the kernel and drivers to their needs therefore keeping the system fast and efficient. When you have a problem you can trouble shoot and repair unlike MS products where you have to start from square one. Not knocking Bill Gates though. Without him where would the computer industry be?

I've experimented with multiple distros of linux, and to this day i still pull my hair out over the work it takes to put the tiniest bit of software on it: Adobe Flash. it won't install over the internet (Your OS is not supported by the Adobe Flash Player) and i cannot get any source code to compile...always missing something it thinks it 'needs'.

Arrgh! give me good ol'e WinXP any day.

Can't get Linux to work with the wi-fi card in my computer, and i won't accept an OS that can neither connect to the internet nor work with youtube. got to have my online TV.

I'm amazed to this day how linux is purely for experts. there's no such thing as a simple executable file (*.EXE) nor an installer to ease installation of any programs you want to use with it.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I've experimented with multiple distros of linux, and to this day i still pull my hair out over the work it takes to put the tiniest bit of software on it: Adobe Flash. it won't install over the internet (Your OS is not supported by the Adobe Flash Player) and i cannot get any source code to compile...always missing something it thinks it 'needs'.

Arrgh! give me good ol'e WinXP any day.

Can't get Linux to work with the wi-fi card in my computer, and i won't accept an OS that can neither connect to the internet nor work with youtube. got to have my online TV.

I'm amazed to this day how linux is purely for experts. there's no such thing as a simple executable file (*.EXE) nor an installer to ease installation of any programs you want to use with it.
Oh contraire. You can easily add the plugins from any website. If you really want to simplify the plugins you just install easyLife. Once installed the PC will do everything Windows will do plus. Everything I post is through Linux. See the easyLife project here
easyLife | Fedora software management tool

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
I use nothing but Linux on my PCs, but I repair a lot of PCs running MS products. In my opinion Linux is easier because of the open source. The owner/administrator is able to modify the kernel and drivers to their needs therefore keeping the system fast and efficient. When you have a problem you can trouble shoot and repair unlike MS products where you have to start from square one. Not knocking Bill Gates though. Without him where would the computer industry be?
No kidding? I've always heard that there are tons of compatibility issues for devices and software, but I haven't kept up with Linux news/updates since 2003-2004 or so.