first antenna, i'd love some assitance

Type of antenna used-honestly not sure
Type of antenna wiring used-coaxial but it has rusted metal on the end, and is old.. not sure if that hinders performance
Which channels are you trying to receive?-cbs 4
Anything else that you feel that the forum should know about your setup or what you're trying to achieve.

http://www.tvfool.com/modeling/tmp/1dda/e69/c28ac2c/Radar-All.png

10‑1 (4) WTSP CBS ST. PETERSBURG FL 55 181° -102.27 Bad 2Edge

the t.v some nights works ok and other nights is pratically unwatchable. it plugs into the houses coxial line so its a long cable. it goes from outside, into the atic, into the garage then back into atic and into the living room. i was thinking of runnning a new line from the outside directly into the living room, and moving the signal booster thing from the garage to the living room. i hope the shorter cable will help. also, my antenna is next to the powerline from the transformer to the house. its been like this for several months and has been fine. but i recently had to switch internet from at&t to cox and i'm sure they'l want their line back which is why i'm gonna re-wire the antenna. and i was wondering.. if i move the antenna farther from the powerline (the t.v sits pretty close to the powerline inside) but also farther from the t.v will it increase signal strength? and i saw some posts in the "grounding an antenna" thread. about wind putting electrons onto the antenna and it having excesse energy. i have nothing to ground it to though near by. will the aluminum on the side of the house work? i understand channel 4 is far and 2edge but its the only channel my mother cares about for her NCSI. can anyone help?

also, my antenna is probably about 10-13feet above ground nailed to the edge of the house on a wooden pole.

Last edited:

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Can you please go to TVfool TV Fool and fill out a report, and post the results back here. Also, if you could provide a photo or description of the antenna, it would be very helpful.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: norraptor,

In theory ... it is highly unlikely you will ever be able to receive WTSP, but you have already blown the theory to pieces! :thumb:

Because of its very low signal strength, I suggest you install a dedicated "cut-to-channel 10" Yagi on its own mast, with its own coax and use an A-B antenna switch whenever you want to view that channel.

Below are two photos of a cut-to-10 antenna I built for a few dollars using a scrap antenna: it provides 9.5 dBd forward gain.

Jim

will a satellite dish work? i've got one lying around, but never used it because its one directional. i've also got another antenna so if its possible and would strengthen the signal i have 3 antenna's total i could combine i just don't know how.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
norraptor,

A satellite dish for RF channel 11 would need to be very large and the 'receiving element' would have to be entirely redesigned to work. There were dish-style television antennas available many years ago that can be seen here: Channel Master 4251 Tribute Page

For home television reception, there are only two ways to combine antennas on a single coaxial cable. Two or four identical antennas, properly spaced apart and aimed can be combined. Two antennas designed for different television bands can be combined, such as a high-band VHF antenna and a UHF antenna.

Please post photos of the three antennas you currently have.

Jim

nbound-au

The Graveyard Shift
VHF low parabolics would affect the structural integrity of the house, unless you are a radio astronomer, we can rule that one out.

To receive it you would need to stack probably half a dozen perfectly aligned high gain ultra fringe antennas, pre-amped, and have it on a separate antenna system.

Long story short: It aint gonna happen :(

As far as NCIS goes... its on on WGFL (local CBS) at 8pm Saturday (NCIS:LA), and back-to-back on Tuesday at 8pm/9pm (NCIS/NCIS:LA). (and possibly at other times too)

WGFL TV Schedule: WGFL (CBS) TV Schedule | LocateTV

n2rj

Staff member
In the early days of cable there was a VHF parabolic array set up by a cable company in Cressey,CA to receive stations from mt sutro in San Francisco... Basically 10 towers in an arc and wire strung across. Now today made obsolete by satellite and microwave but still impressive nonetheless!

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
Yes, I don't understand why the original poster is trying to get WTSP's channel 4 translator instead of simply watching CBS programming on WGFL 28-1.

- Trip

WTSP, either the VHF-4 translator (300 watts - 55 miles) , or the primary VHF 10 signal(130 miles), are BOTH effectively out of range.

Don't waste too much time chasing that wild goose. You'll get sporadic reception once in a while, but that's about all.