First ATSC-M/H device product listed for sale on the web!

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
For $599.99, the Kenwood ATSC Mobile DTV Module is the first device I've seen listed on the web for ATSC-M/H reception. It doesn't actually say "ATSC-M/H" tuner though. It does say "Excellent DTV reception performance in cars, even at highway speeds" so I'd say it's pretty safe to assume it does have a mobile DTV tuner. It's also listed as "Coming Soon". ;)

Link to listing: Kenwood ATSC Mobile DTV Module

Last edited:

O-O

DTVUSA Member
Wonder how many people will buy that. Who actually watched OTA in their car before the transition? Who is going to spend $599.99 for a tuner with no TV?

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
Wonder how many people will buy that. Who actually watched OTA in their car before the transition? Who is going to spend $599.99 for a tuner with no TV?
I think there's actually a pretty good market for them. Limo's and taxi cabs especially for their business customers wanting to watch morning news.

Piggie

Super Moderator
I think there's actually a pretty good market for them. Limo's and taxi cabs especially for their business customers wanting to watch morning news.
This is the type of use I imagined. Even city buses may find a draw to watch the morning shows on the way to work. Lots of towns have evening news starting at 5pm also.

cjswann

DTVUSA Rookie
I watch OTA in the car for 3 yrs. I just upgraded my stereo/monitor/receiver and hooked up a Farenheit DTV-2U. Worked fine until I drove off of the parking lot of the installer's shop. No worries though, when I stopped at lights and parked in my driveway I was able to resume viewing. Basically, not what I expecting. I don't know if I'll spend $600 but I got spoiled, especially during football season.

cjswann

DTVUSA Rookie
...in the meantime, is there any type of antenna that is available that can facilitate maintining reception over 3 mph with these 1st line DTV tuners?

And/or does anyone think that some sort of adapter/booster will be made which can be retro-fitted to one of the 1st line DTV tuners so that reception can be maintained while moving?

Piggie

Super Moderator
...in the meantime, is there any type of antenna that is available that can facilitate maintining reception over 3 mph with these 1st line DTV tuners?

And/or does anyone think that some sort of adapter/booster will be made which can be retro-fitted to one of the 1st line DTV tuners so that reception can be maintained while moving?
No a better antenna won't help as the problem is the digital standard itself doesn't lend itself to reception in motion. That baby was thrown out with the bath water when ATSC standard arrived in the digital transition.

This is why, they are experimenting with the ATSC-M/H (mobile/handheld) standard in Washington DC and some other towns now I believe. Don't hold your breath too long, the roll out if the new mobile standard catches on will be slow.

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
I watch OTA in the car for 3 yrs. I just upgraded my stereo/monitor/receiver and hooked up a Farenheit DTV-2U. Worked fine until I drove off of the parking lot of the installer's shop. No worries though, when I stopped at lights and parked in my driveway I was able to resume viewing. Basically, not what I expecting. I don't know if I'll spend $600 but I got spoiled, especially during football season.
Did the installer ever mention that you wouldn't be able to get a signal when driving?

Nope, ATSC is pretty much impossible to receive while in a moving car. If you really want to watch TV while moving, I'd ebay the Farenheit DTV-2U and wait for ATSC-M/H to come out at the beginning of 2010.

EDIT: Piggie you beat me again to the post! :eyes: :becky: