Flickering Picture with Converter Box

Suzanne

DTVUSA Rookie
The converter box we have has worked okay but now when we walk anywhere near it the picture on the TV flutters. We only have an indoor antenna hooked up right now. Do we need an outdoor one? We live about 25 miles from the towers, pretty high elevation. It's hilly but not cluttered.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
It's the indoor antenna. You could get a longer cable and move it to a different location inside. I suggest a window facing your transmitters. But the best solution, of course, is an outdoor antenna, or if you have an attic free of foil faced insulation and not much metal ductwork, that's a good option, too. Your reception will me more dependable, and you may even get more stations. As a bonus, you won't have to look at that indoor antenna anymore or adjust it for the best picture.

Since you're using an indoor antenna now and getting the stations you want, then you shouldn't have to spend much on an outdoor antenna that will perform much better. If you're interested, we can help you select an antenna for your location. Go to TV Fool and enter your location and the anticipated height of your antenna. Copy the link generated and post it back here, and we'll be able to make some suggestions.

Suzanne

DTVUSA Rookie
Thanks for this suggestion. We have a long cable cord so we did some rearranging and it is better now. Your suggestion worked well enough that we're happy.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Thanks for this suggestion. We have a long cable cord so we did some rearranging and it is better now. Your suggestion worked well enough that we're happy.
Nice, glad Pogi's advice worked for you. If I can add one thing, if you're using rabbit ears try to position the antennae as a "V" if you haven't already done so. What I mean is, position them so they're not too far apart or too close together. Doing this allowed me to pick up an additional 2 channels here in LA after a channel scan. I'm not sure why this position was better for myself, but I've seen other posts on forums telling others to do the same thing. To the antenna pros on the forum, if I'm off on my advice please correct me.