Flight Path and have Intermittent Signal

AGL123

DTVUSA Rookie
Help,

This is the second time i am getting somebody to install my Antenna i have 2

ANT - Outdoor 4 Bay HD TV Digital Antenna specs up

UP to 55 Miles
UHF Spectrum 2 to 69

I have one point to buffalo monted on a dish rod and one to CN Tower mounted on a trip road.

My postal L5V 2J1 in Mississauga Canada

They are installed on my roof about 30 ft high. I live close to the airport and when a flight come buy i lose signal. Both antennas go into one spliter and i have about 30 ft of cable coming into my SV8000 i us it as my tuner...
Yesterday and today there were tons of flights and it kept skipping...

Pls advise what i am to do to not have it skip.. The channel that do it is nbc/ cbc 2 others.

Tks,

AGL

Piggie

Super Moderator
AGL123, do you know the make of your antennas?

And in degrees or in NNW or SE type designation are the two antennas pointed?

One thing is for sure. Airports create multipath. I got rid of my 4 bay here because the trees around me were giving me too much multipath. The are known to be about the worst antenna possible for multipath that comes from the sides. They are great if it comes from the rear. But most multipath comes from the sides or just off axis from where the antenna is pointed.

I also have a feeling with two antennas, just tied together it makes matters worse, as if one antenna picks up a station and the other picks up the same station but reflected off an airplane it will break up every time.

Last edited:

Eureka

DTVUSA Member
Two antennas are probably not a good idea near airports. It's just asking for multipath interference. And I agree, 4bays are probably the worst.

A single antenna on a rotor would be preferable, or two antennas on separate coaxes. Switch between the two antennas, using an A/B switch.

What are the call letters of the stations giving you the most trouble?

Piggie

Super Moderator
What are the call letters of the stations giving you the most trouble?
Good question for the OP. That combined with the direction of the two antenna, might help us find an answer without an A/B switch or rotor, but you are in a tough situation.

Jumping ahead before having those answers sometime one can phase or combine two very long boom yagis to make things as good as possible without rotors or AB, but it's all experimentation, something the OP might not want to do. As it's possible (on paper) with two long boom yagis, 180 degrees out of phase to create two narrow frontal lobes if they are less than about 60 degrees at the maximum from each other. It's possible it would work even with his 4 bays.

AGL123

DTVUSA Rookie
the make of my antenna is eaglestar pro. One is facing southeast and the southwest.
I have taken a pic of the anetnna and saved it as an album on my profile.

The most trouble is NBC and CBC i only get 14 ch in total 11 in HD.

thank you guys for all your help, appreciate it.. Should i get an amplifier...

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
The EagleStar Pro may be better than the CM 4221HD, from what Ive heard about it.

You may be better off with a corner reflector yagi. If multipath interference from above is your problem.

An adjustable attenuator that you control from inside may help as well.

Piggie

Super Moderator
The EagleStar Pro may be better than the CM 4221HD, from what Ive heard about it.

You may be better off with a corner reflector yagi. If multipath interference from above is your problem.

An adjustable attenuator that you control from inside may help as well.
An EagleStar is still a 4 bay and would be surprised to see any front to side rejection increased ability without an extended rear screen that wraps to the side. Front to side is where yagi's always win if built correctly.