Question: Flo Tv

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
MDTV is right around the corner and it's free. I've never used or seen Flo TV, but it's something like $15 a month for 10-15 channels. Hardly worth it IMO.

Piggie

Super Moderator
MDTV is right around the corner and it's free. I've never used or seen Flo TV, but it's something like $15 a month for 10-15 channels. Hardly worth it IMO.
I don't think it's worth the money either.

But it really (in my opinion) not going to compete head to head with ATSC-M/H.

M/H will give you the channels that are equipped, in range, with at least for now a single programming source per channel.

FloTV gives the mobile user more than a dozen channels available just about anywhere on an interstate highway, with towers and transmitters already on the air.

Much like if I drove a truck, I would buy a satellite radio. I have done enough over the road traveling where it's fun to find the local station, but day in day out doing that makes sitting on one channel from New York to LA, has an appeal.

The same is true for FloTV. The kids in the back seat won't suddenly have the signal fade out every 15 to 30 minutes blowing down the interstate with mom and dad.

However an M/H device for an in town service could make a lot of sense. If a cab company invests, then they can offer things like the morning shows and news as the user goes to work in the cab. Or as price drops it might be a draw for city bus or local rails. Every limo will have one (thought not a big market). Any one that stays in town, or at the most goes between 2 major markets like DC to Baltimore area comes to mind. Only one set of channel changes on a trip, and if it's network that would not be too big a deal, if the service areas overlap. If they don't, forget it, the passenger will then want something like FloTV.

On another note. My kids are in that buy all the digital stuff they can afford age for the younger set (25 to 32). None of them, nor their friends even tried TV via their cell phones that have been available around here for years. Even my old E813 Motorola would do it via Alltell, but haven't bothered to check if Verizon kept that service when they bought out Alltel. I never looked into it but presumed it was just streamed over the cell frequencies. Probably low res made for a small screen on a cell phone.

But if nice devices are out there for backseat mobile, and the auto industry either factory or aftermarket picks up on it, then FloTV or M/H will end up in backseat entertainment devices that also have other sources.

FloTv

I am going to buy one of these with my Christmas money. My old xbox pro broke and Microsoft won't fix it. The only problems with it are that it can't go on live and it gets the red ring of death from time to time. I'm okay with paying the monthly fee of flo tv because live is the same price. Give me reasons why I should buy either the flo tv or the xbox.
:violin:

Piggie

Super Moderator
Give me reasons why I should buy either the flo tv or the xbox.
You might have FloTV mixed up with a service like Netflix?

FloTV is broadcast over the air and requires an antenna, unless they now have a IP based streaming version?

FloTV also had the mobile, portable, small screen customer in mind when they started their service.

O-O

DTVUSA Member
I am going to buy one of these with my Christmas money. My old xbox pro broke and Microsoft won't fix it. The only problems with it are that it can't go on live and it gets the red ring of death from time to time. I'm okay with paying the monthly fee of flo tv because live is the same price. Give me reasons why I should buy either the flo tv or the xbox.
huh? Give you reasons to buy an xbox or flo tv? Both are 2 completely different devices. What do you want more....... a device for playing video games or a device that allows you to watch TV on the go?

The link in your signature looks like spam.