Food Network/HGTV...

My wife watches an insane amount of Food Network/HGTV. I have to say I've reaped the benefits of her time spent on both channels. She has been watching Food Network daily since we first got the channel on Dish back in 97' and HGTV for about 12 years, anyway, What is the draw to these networks that make shows like House Hunters (her favorite along with buying and selling) and Triple D (ok, you caught me I watch sometimes too) so popular?

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Yea, 2 of the few pay TV channels I missed when I cut the cord. If you want to watch full episodes of most stuff online you need to log in with your pay TV account. But I have my ways... ;)

Diners, drive ins and dives is great. Love that bad for ya but yummy road food!

It's a "Garbage Plate". Nick Tahou Hots - Wikipedia
Yea it looks nasty, but after the bars close and you're hungry... AWESOME.

Last edited:

Cadus

DTVUSA Member
My mom also watches a ton of both of those channels. I think the draw is the same as why kids like watching Superhero shows, in that they picture themselves doing the things in the shows. My mom occasionally uses what she sees in the shows, like makes a creative corkboard for pinning things to or creating cute little shadowboxes of parts of my life, and so she continues to internally validate the reason that she is watching the programs.

Funafuti

DTVUSA Member
On HGTV I like a few of the renovation shows - Holmes on Homes and Income Property especially - and House Hunters International. The renovation shows are cool for watching people do stuff that looks like fun without having to get sweaty or dirty. I also like that both of those shows emphasize doing things the right way without cutting corners. House Hunters International is fun because I get to travel without leaving my couch.

MrPogi

Staff member
I don't like the shows that throw in your face how much money someone has - and some of the HGTV shows do that.

I don't like the shows that throw in your face how much money someone has - and some of the HGTV shows do that.
That is a great point. I do find there are times when the shows on HGTV cause some sort of dissatisfaction with ones own home. We all don't have the money to build an outdoor kitchen next to our salt water pool with waterfall feature LOL......

I think those two networks have very different draws. HGTV is primarily for people in the industry or looking to buy while The Food Network isn't really for professional cooks or people in the industry (unless you're onscreen promoting your business) but foodies or people who like game shows. My wife is a realtor and she uses HGTV for research a lot. I know lots of chefs and restaurant-owners and none of them find anything of use on the Food Network (except advertising!).

MrPogi

Staff member
Really, most of the people I know who watch HGTV are homeowners or wannabe homeowners. They are looking to buy and monitoring the market, or searching for ideas and projects.

I think there's quite a bit of "keeping up with the Jonses" at work here, too.

tmcmeekin

DTVUSA Member
I think those two networks have very different draws. HGTV is primarily for people in the industry or looking to buy while The Food Network isn't really for professional cooks or people in the industry (unless you're onscreen promoting your business) but foodies or people who like game shows. My wife is a realtor and she uses HGTV for research a lot. I know lots of chefs and restaurant-owners and none of them find anything of use on the Food Network (except advertising!).
Personally, I don't agree that their audiences differ THAT much. I previously considered being in the food industry, and took professional culinary arts classes for several years, and I have always enjoyed watching cooking shows. I've known other in the hospitality industry who have, too. And I know plenty of people who watched home buying and improvement shows (including me) who have nothing to do with real estate. I think there's some overlap of "professionals" and "hobbyists" that watch both, but the majority of people are just using it as wishful thinking and don't actually do anything that's featured on the shows.

Personally, I don't agree that their audiences differ THAT much. I previously considered being in the food industry, and took professional culinary arts classes for several years, and I have always enjoyed watching cooking shows. I've known other in the hospitality industry who have, too. And I know plenty of people who watched home buying and improvement shows (including me) who have nothing to do with real estate. I think there's some overlap of "professionals" and "hobbyists" that watch both, but the majority of people are just using it as wishful thinking and don't actually do anything that's featured on the shows.
I think those are some great points! I've told my wife she should get her real estate license though, she has watched so much House Hunters, Buying and Selling, Property Virgins and my first place over the years, its almost like field training ! With her personality and formal training she'd be a pro LOL...She does use what she sees on Food Network so I benefit from that channel! Her mom worked a lot when she was a teenager so she started watching cooking shows on PBS when she was 14 and taught her self to cook and to cook VERY well I might add, she has no desire to work in the industry though. She loves being a home cook. Now if I could only benefit from HGTV and get her to sell some houses...hmmm.....

I take all your points - and ultimately we can't tell if viewers are using these networks for professional, hobbyist or entertainment purposes without audience research - but I still believe the address of HGTV is more welcoming to those in the industry (agents, buyers and sellers) than The Food Network is to professionals in their field. The programming on The Food Network is game show and travelogue-oriented, which suggests it want a wider TV audience, and puts the format and stars ahead of cooking knowledge and information, whereas HGTV is information and factually-based programming (with some reality show traits, I concede). Opinion not fact!

I take all your points - and ultimately we can't tell if viewers are using these networks for professional, hobbyist or entertainment purposes without audience research - but I still believe the address of HGTV is more welcoming to those in the industry (agents, buyers and sellers) than The Food Network is to professionals in their field. The programming on The Food Network is game show and travelogue-oriented, which suggests it want a wider TV audience, and puts the format and stars ahead of cooking knowledge and information, whereas HGTV is information and factually-based programming (with some reality show traits, I concede). Opinion not fact!
Funny you should say that about food network. My wife and I just had the same conversation a few evenings ago while watching chopped. The Network is coming out with yet ANOTHER competition show... Seems like the actual cooking shows happen in the day time hours and the evening is all competition, travel, makeover shows. I mean its all food related but how many cooking competitions can one network really have? Overkill in my opinion.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C DirecTV 1
G Questions and Answers 0
C DirecTV 0