Food Poisoning

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Sunday, my wife and I ate at a reputable sushi restaurant for lunch. Ordered California Rolls (can't really be classified as sushi since it's made with processed crab) which I assume was prepared on a surface where other raw fish sushi had been prepared. 5-6 hours after eating I had excruciating cramps followed by many trips to the bathroom and 5 hours of nonstop vomiting. :flush: Thought I had the flu for the first couple of hours, but I didn't have any other flu symptoms (fever, congestion, etc.).

I'm not 100% sure that the sushi restaurant was responsible so I've held off reporting the incident.

Anybody else ever experience something like this?

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
Report it to whom? I'd let a manager know ASAP, regardless of proof. Then, if it happens again after any subsequent visit, by all means call the Health Department. That's a potential public health hazard they'd need to know about.

Improper food handling is but one of the many, many ways this can happen. My hunch is that it's as likely to be caused by an employee who leaves the restroom without washing his/her hands as anything else. Though many states and localities require "employees must wash hands" signs in all restrooms of food-service establishments, they're only as effective as the managers' insistence that employees do so diligently after every visit.

Otherwise, I'm with Aaron. Sushi... in Denver? No, thanks!

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
That sounds like food poisoning.

I agree, I wouldnt eat sushi in Denver. However I will state that most sushi restaurants use vacuum sealed nitrogen injected and purged tuna steaks to retain the red color (prevent oxidation). This is very common and is what most restaurants use, not just sushi restaurants for their tuna. (Unless you know for certain that its coming from the docks or local fishermen, then assume its what I have described). So Denver or San Fran, makes no difference 9 times out of 10.

Furthermore, raw fish isnt necessarily more dangerous with regards to food poisoning than other meats and foodstuffs. Pork and Chicken are just as if not more prone to it.

Oh that's terrible, Jay. get well soon!

I never eat raw meats, even raw fish. that's a perfect way to get e-coli or other various food-born illnesses. the human stomach was never meant to process raw flesh (none of the acids that are normally present in carnivores like dogs or cats exists) i'd go see a doctor ASAP.

People here eat raw beef and i have to say, no matter how they feel about it, it is completely disgusting. if i wanted to eat raw meats, i'd just eat the animal alive.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I'm not a sushi eater. I believe I've had food poisoning twice in my life from fast food/restaurants. One was from Round Table Pizza and the other Dairy Queen. I've rarely gone back to either place as a result.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
That sounds like food poisoning.

I agree, I wouldnt eat sushi in Denver. However I will state that most sushi restaurants use vacuum sealed nitrogen injected and purged tuna steaks to retain the red color (prevent oxidation). This is very common and is what most restaurants use, not just sushi restaurants for their tuna. (Unless you know for certain that its coming from the docks or local fishermen, then assume its what I have described). So Denver or San Fran, makes no difference 9 times out of 10.

Furthermore, raw fish isnt necessarily more dangerous with regards to food poisoning than other meats and foodstuffs. Pork and Chicken are just as if not more prone to it.
Doesn't it help when pork and chicken are cooked at 160+ degrees?

EscapeVelocity

Yes, but the problem occurs when the raw pork or chicken is prepped in the kitchen, and then isnt cleaned up properly with santizer. Along comes the raw celery sticks that go on the Hot Wings plate and bam...

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
re: food poisoning

Jay,
I hope you recover soon and please call your Doctor to report this event: others probably experienced the same and the source absolutely needs to be inspected.

People with compromised immune systems can die from food poisoning. Remember the e-coli problems Jack in The Box had about 15 years ago? I have a friend (a child at the time) who had severe nerve damage from them and after a lawsuit he received a healthty payoff from them (fortunately). He's 90% functional today.

My girlfriend is a Kitchen Manager in a K-8 school and she has taken many food safety classes for Certification thru School Nutrition Services/USDA. She came home after a class taught by her Director and told me she learned there are MANY different types of 'food illness/poisoning' and one particular bug doesn't make the eater sick until around 60 days afterwords! In this case, it makes it virtually impossible to track down the source of the problem.

About 25 years ago I had lunch with a dear friend at an 'upper-class' hamburger place and we shared french fries and tartar sauce. That evening, I drove 30 miles to a nightclub and ordered one beer: shortly afterwards I knew I was feeling wrong (mainly dizzy) so I went back to my van in the parking lot and projectile vom.... Somehow, with double-vision, I managed to drive home with one eye closed. About two weeks later, I mentioned this to my lunch partner and it turned out she had been hospitalzed for the entire weekend.

As my Dear Old Dad used to say (if he was alive he'd be 94) "If its smokin' it's a cookin' - if it's burnt it's done!"
Jim

Last edited:

EscapeVelocity

I hope you recover soon and please call your Doctor to report this event: others probably experienced the same and the source absolutely needs to be inspected. --- Jim in Seattle

Yes, this should be reported to the medical community and the Health Department. Im sure others were affected....if it indeed was from the restaurant in question. It should be relatively easy to isolate the source as the restaurant if so.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the responses everyone. I've been debating on calling my doctor this week because it took less than 12 hours to get over all of the symptoms. I noticed I had a bit of lower back pain the next morning that went away as I began to drink more water. I was probably dehydrated.

<--currently researching the restaurant in question and how to report a possible food poisoning

The night prior to the incident I had (and don't judge me lol) 20 chicken wings at a restaurant that might also need to be on the list of possible food poison causing places.

JakesDTVBlog

DTVUSAForum Member, , , Webmaster of: Jake's DTV B
I'd report both places to the local health department; they're the ones who should be responsible for handling such cases. At a minimum, a surprise inspection would reveal anything that might be amiss.

Hope you and the Mrs. are doing better.

EscapeVelocity

I just want to say that raw pork and raw chicken juice in my celery stick analogy, wont necessarily produce a nasty turn of events in someones stomach. Only that given enough time with the juice sitting their or not properly sanitized (even though its wiped up) it COULD....and probably will eventually, but often a day is too short a time for something like that to happen, unless the chicken or pork is already advancing in age in a thawed state.

This is why dates for keeping in a refridgerator are given as rules of thumb. The 3 day rule is a bit conservative, but useful none the less.....as everybody says, "hey, what's one more day?" anyways.

So it all depends on a restaurants food handling....including its refridgeration/freezing/thawing practices. Its easy for an immaculate restaurant to have just perchance one thing fall through the cracks for a couple of days and then a problem can occur. Of course problems are unlikely to occur, but they can. Restaurants can also receive food previously mishandled/refridgerated/thawed...and have nothing to do with causing the problem.

All that being said, a lot of restaurants are more or less cleaner than your average home kitchen. However they also have a lot more people doing this that and the other thing, throwing monkey wrenches into what's what. Needless to say, its hard to cause serious problems like food poisoning and its a rare occurrence. Its not common, even in poorly run sloppy kitchens.

Query, Jay: was this your first visit to this restaurant or was it something you normally do and this just happened?

Just be thankful it wasn't like our Taco Bell human feces in the meat incident we had in the mid-90's, thank goodness i never liked mexican food all that much.

Even so, i NEVER eat raw meat. it's not only disgusting, but dangerous. as for chicken, i gave that up the first time i drove by our new Tyson farm. those fans were running and so was i---at 90MPH. I never liked chicken all that much either way, and that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I'm also trying to figure out how salmonella, normally a food-born illness found in undercooked or raw meats, could be found in peanuts and tomatoes--two recent incidents affecting our tri-state.

Last edited:

EscapeVelocity

The vacuum sealed nitrogen purged tuna steaks I was talking about are then individually quick frozen, a process which minimizes the size of the ice crystals formed in the freezing process, which preserves the integrity of the cell walls (or at least a vastly larger number of them) than a slower freezing process. This preserves the texture of the flesh when thawed.

Interestingly enough, this process was discovered and first developed by Birdseye, which he developed from noticing his fish from his ice fishing were much tastier and fresh seeming than when he refroze them in his freezer. He became a multi millionaire...

Read about it here...

Clarence Frank Birdseye II (December 9, 1886 &#8211; October 7, 1956) was an American inventor who is considered the founder of the modern frozen food industry.

Clarence Birdseye - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's likely that you should thank Clarence Birdseye for your yummy tasting turkey that was quick frozen and delivered around the country, to feed millions of Americans on Thanksgiving.

Last edited:

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Jay wrote: ..."I noticed I had a bit of lower back pain the next morning that went away as I began to drink more water. I was probably dehydrated."

Jay,
More likely, it was your kidneys under assault.

Julie dug out her "Serving it Safe" USDA /Food Nutrition Service textbook and there are 6 pages dedicated to food poisoning / pathogens / bacteria / parasites and even foodborne viruses. Among the words used in her book (depending on the particular bug) are "kidney failure, paralysis, double-vision, miscarriage/death of a newborn, convultions, hepatitis A, and death.

It is very likely others were affected, so please report this to your local health Department. :director:
Jim and Julie

PS Here are research links for you: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

...and another, The Bad Bug Book: www.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/

...and, FDA Administration Center: Foods

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Query, Jay: was this your first visit to this restaurant or was it something you normally do and this just happened?
No, we visit this restaurant quite often actually. At least once a month. I have had food poisoning before, maybe 2 times prior to this visit in the past 10 years though and I don't think any of the previous times were related to eating at this restaurant.

Jay wrote: ..."I noticed I had a bit of lower back pain the next morning that went away as I began to drink more water. I was probably dehydrated."

Jay,
More likely, it was your kidneys under assault.

Julie dug out her "Serving it Safe" USDA /Food Nutrition Service textbook and there are 6 pages dedicated to food poisoning / pathogens / bacteria / parasites and even foodborne viruses. Among the words used in her book (depending on the particular bug) are "kidney failure, paralysis, double-vision, miscarriage/death of a newborn, convultions, hepatitis A, and death.

It is very likely others were affected, so please report this to your local health Department. :director:
Jim and Julie

PS Here are research links for you: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

...and another, The Bad Bug Book: www.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/

...and, FDA Administration Center: Foods
Jim, tons of useful info there. Thank you both! I ended up at Arizona's Health Department website: Arizona Department of Health Services through the cdc.gov link you provided. Was surprised to find out that they didn't have an online form for filing a complaint. I did however note a phone number which I'll try calling on Friday. I'm planning on reporting the incident and the two restaurant's in the 11 hours prior to my food poisoning.

Coincidently, both restaurant's I ate at were both located at the same mall in Chandler, AZ. :hungry:

Orrymain

I wonder if there could be some kind of electrical problem or something that is affecting the refrigeration at both restaurants? It's just odd that they were both in the mall.

Fringe Reception

Staff member
I wonder if there could be some kind of electrical problem or something that is affecting the refrigeration at both restaurants? It's just odd that they were both in the mall.
---------------------------------------------------------
Orry,
Good point. Yesterday, my girlfriend, Julie, suggested the same thing because if this is a Mall "Food Arcade" the vendors might share a common (centeralized) cooler/freezer. Although she does not deal with Sushi (there may be other requirements) she says cooler temperatures must be kept 40 degrees or below.

The first thing she does when she goes to work is to check and record the temperatures of her walk-in cooler and freezer. About a month back, it was over 40 degrees, she reported it and there was a crew on-site replacing the compressor that afternoon.

Jim

Orrymain

I know a lot of people getting food poisoning lately, too. To me it's a reminder that we really need to be careful how we store and cook foods.