Football philosophies

Colts president Bill Polian says once the team has secured a playoff seed, it will rest its players and not worry about a perfect season. The Saints' Sean Payton says they are going for the perfect season. Who do you side with?

Thomas G

Contributor
Can't say I agree with the Colts coaches philosophy at all. Resting the players might keep them safe from injury but they need the game time to keep them sharp. Seen some statistics before on teams playing performance after a bye week and it isn't good.

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
I think you should rest injured players, but not bench healthy players. You can also increase play time for backups, while still playing your starters.

This isnt an all or nothing proposition.

Im with the Saints.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I think you should rest injured players, but not bench healthy players. You can also increase play time for backups, while still playing your starters.

This isnt an all or nothing proposition.

Im with the Saints.
You mean the Aints? :)

If I were a season ticket holder for the Colts, and they started benching healthy players, I'd be pretty ticked off. That's why preseason football games aren't as popular with TV ratings, nobody wants to watch bench warmers play.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I've seen the same thing done in baseball and as a fan, I wasn't fond of it at all, and I don't know that it really ended up making a difference.