Question: FREE HD Antenna, no parts, no tools, no nothing needed (except for a simple cable)

[video=youtube;huaNWZQL6Nw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huaNWZQL6Nw[/video]

OK, this actually works for me. In fact, it works better than my little Monoprice HDA-5700 indoor antenna on (north of me) Milwaukee stations only. No (south of me) Chicago stations with the screw in the wall. :daffy: This is with no balun transformer at all.

Looking over the YouTube comments, it apparantly works for other people as well. Can't work for everyone (darn!). There's some discussion that it's dangerous. But how? Devices have ground plugs in them for safety sake.

It has to work better with a transformer. In fact, Radio Shack used to make one and threw in an amp for good measure. You can still find similar products:
20db FM TV Antenna Eliminator Signal Booster Amplifier | eBay
BRAND NEW SEALED TV ANTENNA PLUGS INTO YOUR AC OUTLET FOR MUCH BETTER RECEPTION | eBay

Not sure if that's the deal on the second one. Anyhow, there are 90+ people living in my apartment complex, and I'm sure a dozen or more would be grateful if they could say bye-bye to the cable company. So in the interest of Science, I'm going to try a $3 balun, hook it under the screw and right to the TV.

Anyone have any positive experiences to share on one of those outlet antennas??

Rick
Born to make trouble

Aerial

DTVUSA Member
These antenna eliminator lies have been around or a long time , they do not work , yes some channels might be received , but what about all the other Tv channels that can be received with a real Tv antenna?? The 'antenna eliminator' that plugs in to the wall outlet and use the house electric wiring as a antenna have a Small Capacitor that is between the 120 volt electric system and the antenna input of your Tv. The danger is not to the human that is dumb enough to use one of these scam devices , if the capacitor fails , the danger is to the tuner in your Tv , Good By Tv!! . And you can go buy that new Tv you have had your eye on. If you will like to find out the Correct way to receive digital broad cast television in apartments and etc. with a Tv antenna , go to the 'Help With Reception' forum at , http://www.tvfool.com

Last edited:

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Ah yes ... the 'ground wave theory' that actually does work in some (rare) locations. Often reported as received from low-band VHF stations, secondly (rarely) from high-band VHF stations and I have not heard of nor seen any proof of any UHF stations received that way to date.

Sorry, I have to question the duplex box (itself) because I doubt it is actually grounded.

Likely, its a plastic box and his actual antenna is only the small 1 inch (?) screw that holds the cover plate on, which explains his reception.

Not much different than using a paper clip for an antenna. I call BS!

Jim

Last edited:
Why not just use tinfoil rather than connecting a cable to the screw of a wall switch?
Because this works (when it works) much, MUCH better than tin foil. As I said, it works better for me right now than a highly praised indoor antenna, although it's very directional. I have tried tin foil. I have tried my own body. I have tried a half dozen other things. I am considering buying a DB4e. But right now the screw in the wall is the winner.

I'm not recommending this for general use. Not quite so foolish, plus which I know I don't have the expertise to recommend anything for general use.

Rick

These antenna eliminator lies have been around or a long time , they do not work ,
Yes, they do. I am not lying. I have no reason to lie -- not selling screws in the wall. ;) How about all the other positive comments on YouTube? Are all those people lying? Are they ALL trying to sell wall screws? :daffy:

yes some channels might be received , but what about all the other Tv channels that can be received with a real Tv antenna??
You're missing the point. What about all the people that can't have a real outdoor antenna? There are millions of those people. I'm guessing roughly 10+% of those would be better served by the wall socket method than by an indoor antenna or cable subscription.

I'll take it back. There are tens of millions of those people in the U.S. alone.

The 'antenna eliminator' that plugs in to the wall outlet and use the house electric wiring as a antenna have a Small Capacitor that is between the 120 volt electric system and the antenna input of your Tv. The danger is not to the human that is dumb enough to use one of these scam devices , if the capacitor fails , the danger is to the tuner in your Tv , Good By Tv!! .
I'm not talking about doing that. I'm talking about connecting directly to ground. In older buildings the screws that hold electrical outlets in place are connected to ground. I won't be plugging the antenna into an outlet.

The reason these devices have a scam reputation is that obviously they don't work for most people. But can't you think outside the box? Just look at the cost/benefit ratio. Do the math!! BTW, it's not that hard to plug one of those things into a surge protector. The TV won't have better protection from that in the first place.

If you will like to find out the Correct way to receive digital broad cast television in apartments and etc. with a Tv antenna , go to the 'Help With Reception' forum at , TV Fool
Thanks. I've already read that very extensively. I'm talking about a $3 experiment with no downside, as far as I can see, and a huge potential upside for the people in my apt. complex.

Rick

Last edited:
G

Well ALL antennas have this problem to a degree. Heard of static build up from wind on exterior antenna or lightning strikes? Even get lightning on occasion with buried cable lines. Basically all antenna inputs to expensive TVs should have some sort of antenna input surge protection.

I think what you are really expressing is a disbelief in the quality of the parts in a cheap plug in device. But actually the very size and simplicity of the device make it possible to put very high high quality for a single capacitor ...and well usually there is a 1 or 2 stage high pass filter and surge protector semiconductors across the hot and neutral to ground (for lightning on power lines). In some cases there a micro fuse on the input line that burns out if current exceeds a few 100 microamps.

Most TVs can take 100 milliamps (x1000 for a couple seconds) as TV makers are very familiar with stray static charges entering via antennas or cable.

G

UL listed version may not be great antennas but they will be safe.

Yes its possible that real "brick in box" level scam company with zero engineering skill could deliver a dangerous gadget. But anything that bothers with UL listing marking is probably OK.

The real points are that this is not a high quality antenna in most situations but it will serve strong local region stations without the bulk and clutter of a real antenna. Used properly and assuming normal quality device its no more dangerous than any other antenna solutions.

However IF you want solid reception of stations from more than 40 miles away (60 for FM) or maybe only 15 miles for low power TV stations (PBS or other special audience) -- these household wiring antenna devices are unlikely to provide most people with a solution.