Free is Key to Mobile DTV Success

dkreichen1968

Staff member
From The Article: Italy’s market looked hopeful in 2006 when it launched the service just prior to the World Cup. Consumers in the soccer-loving country jumped at the chance to pay a fee to watch the big games. The service grew to 500,000 users in the first year.

But the service stalled at 15% penetration, and isn’t being actively marketed anymore. Its downfall? It wasn’t launched with free TV, says Expway’s Saari. “Free TV is extremely important to have from the start, and they just brought it too late,” Saari says.

The pay model also failed in the U.S. Last October, Qualcomm pulled the plug on its FLO TV, a $15-a-month service combining live and on-demand programming. The service ran on dedicated spectrum, and only FLO-enabled devices could connect to the service.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/2011/03/09/49663/free-is-the-key-to-mobile-dtv-success/page/1

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I agree. Free is the key to success for Mobile DTV but they need to promote it more. I don't hear anything about it anymore. I honestly hope it succeeds but I'm not giving it very good chances.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
As long as the gatekeepers to devices (Cell phone carriers who control what features get on smartphones) refuse to make MDTV available on "their" devices because they get no profit from selling data plans - there will not be enough eyeballs watching to make free MDTV profitable.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
As long as the gatekeepers to devices (Cell phone carriers who control what features get on smartphones) refuse to make MDTV available on "their" devices because they get no profit from selling data plans - there will not be enough eyeballs watching to make free MDTV profitable.
Yeah but I don't think anyone expected mobile device makers to pony up and put atsc-mh tuners for free in their phones. There should have been more product planning and some kind of collaboration planned with a major mobile device maker.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Yeah but I don't think anyone expected mobile device makers to pony up and put atsc-mh tuners for free in their phones. There should have been more product planning and some kind of collaboration planned with a major mobile device maker.
Exactly. Apple has an FM tuner built in to the iPhone, but it's not enabled. Why not? Because that would cut into profits of Apple (iTunes) and the carriers (data charges for streaming music and downloads)

n2rj

Staff member
Exactly. Apple has an FM tuner built in to the iPhone, but it's not enabled. Why not? Because that would cut into profits of Apple (iTunes) and the carriers (data charges for streaming music and downloads)
I don't think that's the only reason. There are several other challenges including getting a suitable antenna. The actual chip in the iPhone is the Broadcom BCM4329 which has the FM tuner. But I don't think there are any other components to make the FM radio work. It's just like the Verizon iPhone whose baseband chip has a HSPA radio but no amplifier module.