"Free" Local Cable is Going Away

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
From the NBC News article:

... A charge for every television

“The cable companies, with the FCC’s blessing, have figured out how to pick the pockets of cable customers and charge them for every television they have – even when they don’t really need a cable box,” said consumer advocate Edgar Dworsky, founder of ConsumerWorld.org .

Dworsky told me he has “secondary” television sets in his kitchen, office and guest room. Each of these has the cable wire from the wall connected to it so he can watch his local TV stations. If his cable company encrypts those stations, which he expects it to do sometime in the next six months, he’ll need to get converter boxes for each of those sets – or buy an antenna" ...

Cable subscribers are about to get a sneaky fee - Business on NBCNews.com

nbound-au

The Graveyard Shift
Sounds like a bonus for antenna installers... Whats already a cost-effective decision will justb be moreso. (Why rent X boxes, when you can get the exact same channels.... for FREE?)

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Cable's gonna' milk it for every last penny while they can. Reminds me of when the pay phones started disappearing several years ago. Cell phones were taking their business so what did the pay phone industry do? They raised their fricken' prices. I guess like the pay phone industry, the cable companies have seen the writing on the wall. Get what you can while you can.

n2rj

Staff member
Well, if you truly want "free" you get an antenna. But we all know that here. ;)

Cablevision and Comcast got waivers to encrypt basic channels a few years ago and it was only inevitable before it became widespread.

But there's still a way around the extra TV fee. Simply get a multi tuner windows media center DVR with CableCARD, pay only ONE fee for the CableCARD and connect five extenders to your WMC DVR... this way you can watch TV on 4-5 TVs at once without additional fees. I don't pay extra fees for additional TVs because there's only one cable line connected. After the DVR, it's my network!

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Well, if you truly want "free" you get an antenna. But we all know that here. ;)

Cablevision and Comcast got waivers to encrypt basic channels a few years ago and it was only inevitable before it became widespread.

But there's still a way around the extra TV fee. Simply get a multi tuner windows media center DVR with CableCARD, pay only ONE fee for the CableCARD and connect five extenders to your WMC DVR... this way you can watch TV on 4-5 TVs at once without additional fees. I don't pay extra fees for additional TVs because there's only one cable line connected. After the DVR, it's my network!
Good solution, Ryan. For many of us it works great. For the less tech-saavy (you know, Grandma and Grandpa) it's not happening. And that's what the cablecos are counting on.