Free Wii?

dreamr802

DTVUSA Member
Is Comcast still giving away the free wiis for new customers? I was going to switch services but my friend just asked me if I knew if they were still giving it away. I told her that I would try to find out. Thanks!

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Got this straight off the Comcast website:

Comcast, the nation’s leading residential broadband Internet provider, and video game pioneer, Nintendo, have teamed up to offer an exclusive deal available to new Comcast Triple Play customers. From today until August 17, 2008, those who sign up for Comcast Preferred Plus or Premier Triple Play package* will receive a complimentary Wii™ system, merging together the joy of a super-fun video gaming experience with the power of super-fast Internet speed.
Looks like it ended on August 17th, 2008...and I couldn't find any other information on their website in regards to Wii giveaways.

That was a short offer! It looks like it started on July 28th, 2008 too?

I'm always skeptical on these kind of promotional offers, I wonder if prices stayed the same on Comcast Triple Play Preferred Plus or Premier services before and after the offer ended?

Taki

DTVUSA Member
Now we know why Comcast is raising their base prices by 4.5 percent. Those Wiis are not cheap. The more I hear about this company the less I like about it.

Yeah I'm glad that I didn't jump right on it. I was hoping to get one so then I could turn around and sell it because I already have a wii. HAHA. And that would've paid for the first 3 months of the service. But yeah that was a very short promotion...maybe they realized how much money it would cost them.

Fardreamer

DTVUSA Member
Yeah I'm glad that I didn't jump right on it. I was hoping to get one so then I could turn around and sell it because I already have a wii. HAHA. And that would've paid for the first 3 months of the service. But yeah that was a very short promotion...maybe they realized how much money it would cost them.
I think that type of promotion is, to put it mildly, a really bad one as far as I'm concerned. First, it probably costs Comcast a lot more to get those Wii consoles than it would if they offered a year's worth of basic cable service for $19.99 a month or something like that. Second, it just causes more disruption in the Wii availability in stores (thus hiking those prices up) for the average Wii-wanting consumer.

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
I'd like to know how they got their hands on so many WII systems, when we STILL cannot find any in any stores here. They are always sold out. Agree with Fardreamer though, not a good idea, and wonder what all their Triple Play and Premiere services entailed (prices, length of promotion, etc).

camogirl

DTVUSA Jr. Member
That is totally insane. I bet people were jumping on that right and left. I can only imagine what type of contract they sucked them into! I bet those people who received the free wii will be in STUCK for years. Poor people!

Countrified

DTVUSA Jr. Member
One of my buddies has this service. He told me his bill is going to increase by almost 5%... Now we know why they are doing the increase. Can these people not add? I think they need new managerial accountants or something. Why have a promo thing if you can't honestly afford it?

Yeah, that's weird...but EVERYTHING has been going up too...my directv went up a like 2% I think...and yeah I don't know how they got a hold of so many wiis. We still can't find them. I'm just glad that my boyfriend and I found one a couple of months ago.

Well, for a free Wii I might have been tempted to jump on the Comcast bandwagon. We did try them for about a week. The kids loved the On Demand option as it had kids exercise programs. But, it just wasn't worth it. We much prefer Direct TV. Maybe, because we have had it for years and love the menu. It is important to me to have a favorites menu option, so that the only channels on the guide are your favorite ones. Comcast just doesn't have that option.

We do have their phone and internet service and so far are happy with it. But, at the moment I am going around and around with them regarding charges for trying out their television service. They assured me it would cost me nothing to try their service, even if I decided I didn't like it. Now, they are trying to charge me for truck fees to connect the service and then to disconnect the service, along with other miscellaneous fees. If you decide to try their service, just be careful.

datadee

DTVUSA Member
I think these promotionals are just wrong because those of us that already have the service don't get the free gifts or the discount offered. They should offer something to their loyal customers.

kaye

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I never heard a word about that promotion.I bet it cost a pretty penny to get that promotion. They probably had to sign up for 10 years to get that big of a toy?

datadee

DTVUSA Member
I hadn't heard that Comcast was giving away free Wii's. Its too bad they don't make offers like this to the folks that are already customers. Even a modified offer would be better than none!

Funny after that one commercial I had NEVER heard about the free wii AT ALL. I bet they only had a small number and they sold out of them so fast because so many people are still looking for wiis and can't find them.

attagirl

DTVUSA Member
I think that they do this and then still run ads with the small print and then get people to change over only for them to find that the deal ended and they are not getting what they want.