Friend in Miami has no probs with Comcast after the Big Switch

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
Oddly enough, I was talking about TV and cable issues with a friend of mine who lives in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale TV market and he reports that though some stations (such as WPLG-DT) have been having signal-strength issues, the Big Switch has had no real glitches re Comcast and his HD TVs. Channel 10-1 (the HD channel) does drop off the lineup when WPLG-DT has signal strength issues and is replaced by 10-2 (LATV, a Spanglish channel aimed at young Latinos in Miami), but otherwise old analog channels have their digital equivalents on Comcast channels that match their old locations on the dial as closely as possible, as well as additional channels with more programming choices.

Piggie

Super Moderator
I thought that was supposed to be the point of paying cable or satellite, not to have to deal with the transition and it all work?

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
I thought that was supposed to be the point of paying cable or satellite, not to have to deal with the transition and it all work?
That's true, but if the broadcasting station has problems with its signal, it will still affect its performance on cable. I think that is what the industry calls "signal drop-off."

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Actually, it is possible that in many cases cable subscribers will be insulated from signal problems local broadcast stations are having. Especially around here, many local broadcast stations provide cable providers a direct feed.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Even in the tiny Gainesville, FL market, 2 of the 4 local stations provide Cox Cable with a direct feed and have for decades. I used to maintain the feed from WCJB ABC to Cox back in 1986 and it had already been there for a while.