FTA: The C-band

I had another thought, but I don't see a place to post this, so I'm gonna just continue here. Maybe one of the Mods will put this where it needs to go. Anyway, I have one of those BIG Satellite dishes in the yard here, what are they 6 foot, I think, and the receiver. It looks to be in pretty good shape, but hasn't been used in years. Pup we hard at the time dug up the cable and chewed it up. I just never got around to dealin with it, cuz OTA was free, and satellite had some sort of monthly fee, not to bad, but still a fee. Anyway, do any of you guys know anything about them? I know it'll need the cable replaced, about 100ft. It will need sighted, plus probably a new motor thing that moves it from side to side. Plus whatever else. I've been searching around but all I can come up with is the smaller dishes, and that kind of stuff. Mr. Pig, you said something about a AVS site??? I guess I'm not smart enough to decipher what you're sayin there. If anyone can point me in there right direction, I'd be grateful. Sorry I know this is a DTV site, don't mean to abuse you all......tooo much..:)

Thanks to all

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
SweetPetes_66,
I started a new thread and moved your post here to get you better answers. The information you're looking for is referred to as C-band satellite. I was one of the first C-band satellite dealers when C-band was deregulated. The 100ft. ribbon cable you need (is an all in one cable)Ribbon Cable | By the Foot | C band satellite [RIBBONPERFOOT] - $0.99 : The Satellite Shop, Satellite Equipment - TV Dish Programming . It contains 2 coaxial cables (one for C-band and 1 for K-band), 1 3 lead cable for the polarotor feedhorn (changes from odd to even channels) and a 6 lead cable for the actuator arm (moves the dish). I'm goint to guess your dish is at least 8ft and not 5ft? You should be able to get everything you need at the link I've included. Good Luck!!
I had another thought, but I don't see a place to post this, so I'm gonna just continue here. Maybe one of the Mods will put this where it needs to go. Anyway, I have one of those BIG Satellite dishes in the yard here, what are they 6 foot, I think, and the receiver. It looks to be in pretty good shape, but hasn't been used in years. Pup we hard at the time dug up the cable and chewed it up. I just never got around to dealin with it, cuz OTA was free, and satellite had some sort of monthly fee, not to bad, but still a fee. Anyway, do any of you guys know anything about them? I know it'll need the cable replaced, about 100ft. It will need sighted, plus probably a new motor thing that moves it from side to side. Plus whatever else. I've been searching around but all I can come up with is the smaller dishes, and that kind of stuff. Mr. Pig, you said something about a AVS site??? I guess I'm not smart enough to decipher what you're sayin there. If anyone can point me in there right direction, I'd be grateful. Sorry I know this is a DTV site, don't mean to abuse you all......tooo much..:)

Thanks to all

Last edited:
SweetPetes_66,
I started a new thread and moved your post here to get you better answers. The information you're looking for is referred to as C-band satellite. I was one of the first C-band satellite dealers when C-band was deregulated. The 100ft. ribbon cable you need (is an all in one cable)Ribbon Cable | By the Foot | C band satellite [RIBBONPERFOOT] - $0.99 : The Satellite Shop, Satellite Equipment - TV Dish Programming . It contains 2 coaxial cables (one for C-band and 1 for K-band), 1 3 lead cable for the polarotor feedhorn (changes from odd to even channels) and a 6 lead cable for the actuator arm (moves the dish). I'm goint to guess your dish is at least 8ft and not 5ft? You should be able to get everything you need at the link I've included. Good Luck!!
Thanks!! Runnin around here tryin to find the book for it all, you know how that goes though. Thanx for the link!! Most of all thanx for your patience, I know the C-Band doesn't have anything to do with the DTV thing. I was kinda reachin. You have a bunch of really good folks on your forum, it's the most helpful site I've found. Not too much blah, blah, blah, and that's refreshing. You need one of those worship the ground ya wlk on smiley guys though so I could use that on everybody that's helped so far..... I know rambling..I'm out:D

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Thanks!! Runnin around here tryin to find the book for it all, you know how that goes though. Thanx for the link!! Most of all thanx for your patience, I know the C-Band doesn't have anything to do with the DTV thing. I was kinda reachin. You have a bunch of really good folks on your forum, it's the most helpful site I've found. Not too much blah, blah, blah, and that's refreshing. You need one of those worship the ground ya wlk on smiley guys though so I could use that on everybody that's helped so far..... I know rambling..I'm out:D
Actually the C-band satellite is also HD DTV. If you have an older C-band receiver with a sidecar you'll get 1st generation DTV where the small dishes are 2nd generation.

There are a bunch of knowledgeable users here for sure.

We do have the worship the ground ya walk on smiley here is the thanks button on the lower right.

Actually the C-band satellite is also HD DTV. If you have an older C-band receiver with a sidecar you'll get 1st generation DTV where the small dishes are 2nd generation.

There are a bunch of knowledgeable users here for sure.

We do have the worship the ground ya walk on smiley here is the thanks button on the lower right.
Thanks to you, I'm cruisin a couple C-Band forum sites right now, tryin to decipher that lingo....and still lookin for the info on the dish & receiver I have here. I know the wife stashed it some where, she's gonna kill me when she gets back home:becky:. ......Copy on the thanks button, been using it
I all of sudden got a positve feelin about this TV affair...Thanks everybody!!

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Is this Free To Air Satellite TV? Does this still exist?
FTA satellite TV is still available on C-band and K-band. Here is a list of programming.
FREE To Air : FTA Programming

FTA came to be the term when satellite programming began to scramble. I was into the subscriber programming. When C-band was first deregulated all the programming was free. It's the same programming you would get through Directv or Dish except the C-band is first generation. DBS is second generation.
Here I've listed just 1 program package
The Absolute Digital Pack #890
DIGITAL DISCOVERY CHANNELS
Great American Country (GAC)
GTV E
Discovery Kids
The Military Channel
The Science Channel
Discovery Health
Investigation Discovery
Planet Green
Discovery en Espanol
MTV SUITE CHANNELS
Nick Toons
Noggin
The N Network
MTV2
MTV Hits
VH1 Classic
VH1 PureCountry
VH1 Soul

ADDITIONAL C-BAND CHANNELS
BBC America
HGTV (West)
Food Channel (East)
Food Channel (West)
DIY (Do It Yourself)
Fine Living
The Learning Channel
Discovery Kids Esp
Discovery East
Travel Channel
Animal Planet
Blue Highways
MAV TV
NFL Network
Ovation
HLN
Tru TV
TNT
CNN
USA Network
Cartoon Network
CNBC
MSNBC
WPIX
Fox News
Spike TV
Comedy Central
VH1
CMTV
A&E (Arts & Entertainment)
AMC
Hallmark Channel
Lifetime Channel
IPG (Interactive Program Guide)
Fox Movie Channel
IFC
Lifetime Movie Network
Turner Classic Movies
WE
Golf Channel
Outdoor Channel
Versus
Versus Alt
The Speed Channel
Disney XD
TV Land
A&E Biography
History Channel International
History Channel (East)
National Geographic
HGTV (East)
Sleuth
Chiller
Sci-Fi Channel
Game Show Network
Bravo (East)
RFD-TV
Bravo (West)
History Channel (West)
ESPN Classic
NPS - Your One Call Solution

Is this Free To Air Satellite TV? Does this still exist?
Yes there is still some Free to Air TV. The list wasn't very impressive, I'd do a link but I don't remember how. Just Google Free To Air, and you can check it out. I also checked out a bunch different companies package prices, looks like they could be a little better priced than the 2 main baby dish outfits. C-Ya

FTA satellite TV is still available on C-band and K-band. Here is a list of programming.

FTA came to be the term when satellite programming began to scramble. I was into the subscriber programming. When C-band was first deregulated all the programming was free. It's the same programming you would get through Directv or Dish except the C-band is first generation. DBS is second generation.
Here I've listed just 1 program package
The Absolute Digital Pack #890
DIGITAL DISCOVERY CHANNELS
Great American Country (GAC)
GTV E
Discovery Kids
The Military Channel
The Science Channel
Discovery Health
Investigation Discovery
Planet Green
Discovery en Espanol
MTV SUITE CHANNELS
Nick Toons
Noggin
The N Network
MTV2
MTV Hits
VH1 Classic
VH1 PureCountry
VH1 Soul

ADDITIONAL C-BAND CHANNELS
BBC America
HGTV (West)
Food Channel (East)
Food Channel (West)
DIY (Do It Yourself)
Fine Living
The Learning Channel
Discovery Kids Esp
Discovery East
Travel Channel
Animal Planet
Blue Highways
MAV TV
NFL Network
Ovation
HLN
Tru TV
TNT
CNN
USA Network
Cartoon Network
CNBC
MSNBC
WPIX
Fox News
Spike TV
Comedy Central
VH1
CMTV
A&E (Arts & Entertainment)
AMC
Hallmark Channel
Lifetime Channel
IPG (Interactive Program Guide)
Fox Movie Channel
IFC
Lifetime Movie Network
Turner Classic Movies
WE
Golf Channel
Outdoor Channel
Versus
Versus Alt
The Speed Channel
Disney XD
TV Land
A&E Biography
History Channel International
History Channel (East)
National Geographic
HGTV (East)
Sleuth
Chiller
Sci-Fi Channel
Game Show Network
Bravo (East)
RFD-TV
Bravo (West)
History Channel (West)
ESPN Classic
NPS - Your One Call Solution

Sorry, I thought he was talkin about the free stuff still available, there are some.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Yes there is still some Free to Air TV. The list wasn't very impressive, I'd do a link but I don't remember how. Just Google Free To Air, and you can check it out. I also checked out a bunch different companies package prices, looks like they could be a little better priced than the 2 main baby dish outfits. C-Ya
This link is in my last post.
Nasa is a channel many would be interested in. The FTA is a little strange to me too.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Sorry, I thought he was talkin about the free stuff still available, there are some.
SweetPetes_66, Not a problem. I believe you're correct. So when you click on the included link, the list of FTA programming is listed. Hope this helps.
Below I have listed only the English Language FTA programming available.
ENGLISH The Liberty Channel AMC-1
ENGLISH Bloomberg TV US AMC-3
ENGLISH Montana PBS AMC-3
ENGLISH New Mexico State U AMC-3
ENGLISH Oregon Video & Online Services AMC-3
ENGLISH The Health Channel AMC-3
ENGLISH PBS East AMC-3
ENGLISH PBS HDTV AMC-3
ENGLISH PBS You AMC-3
ENGLISH PBS X AMC-3
ENGLISH PBS Kids AMC-3
ENGLISH STARS OF FAITH AMC-3
ENGLISH The Patient Channel AMC-3
ENGLISH Tip TV AMC-3
ENGLISH 3ABN AMC-4
ENGLISH 3ABN RADIO AMC-4
ENGLISH Adventist TV Network AMC-4
ENGLISH HOPE AMC-4
ENGLISH LifeTalk Radio Network AMC-4
ENGLISH LLBN TV AMC-4
ENGLISH NASA TV AMC-4
ENGLISH Prison TV Network AMC-4
ENGLISH Empire Sports Network AMC-5
ENGLISH KUED-TV (PBS - Salt Lake City) AMC-5
ENGLISH KULC-TV (Salt Lake City) AMC-5
ENGLISH NYN - New York Network AMC-5
ENGLISH OTB - Off Track Betting AMC-5
ENGLISH Utah Education Net AMC-5
ENGLISH KUIL (Fox - Beaumont) AMC-6
ENGLISH Research Channel Galaxy 4
ENGLISH USC Distance Edu. Galaxy 4
ENGLISH WCBI (CBS - Columbus) Galaxy 4
ENGLISH WDFH (ABC - Tupelo) Galaxy 4
ENGLISH WLOV (Fox - West Point) Galaxy 4
ENGLISH WMPN (PBS - Jackson) Galaxy 4
ENGLISH WTVA (NBC - Tupelo) Galaxy 4
ENGLISH Daystar TV Galaxy 10R
ENGLISH KBBL-AM 1350 Galaxy 10R
ENGLISH KDEV-TV (Denver) Galaxy 10R
ENGLISH KDRE-FM 101.1 Galaxy 10R
ENGLISH KFDF-TV (UPN - Fort Smith) Galaxy 10R
ENGLISH KEXP- 90.3 FM (Seattle) Galaxy 10R
ENGLISH KKTU-TV (NBC - Cheyenne) Galaxy 10R
ENGLISH KMMF-TV (Fox - Missoula) Galaxy 10R
ENGLISH KPBI-TV (FOX - Fayetteville) Galaxy 10R
ENGLISH KQOK-TV (ABC) Galaxy 10R
ENGLISH KQUP-TV (UPN - Spokane) Galaxy 10R
ENGLISH KTVC-TV (UPN - Roseburg) Galaxy 10R
ENGLISH KTWO-TV (NBC - Casper) Galaxy 10R
ENGLISH KWBF-TV (WB - Little Rock) Galaxy 10R
ENGLISH KWBS-TV (PAX - Eureka Springs) Galaxy 10R
ENGLISH KUTH-TV (Univision - Logan) Galaxy 10R
ENGLISH KYPX-TV (PAX - Camden) Galaxy 10R
ENGLISH ResearchChannel Galaxy 10R
ENGLISH University of Washington TV Galaxy 10R
ENGLISH VBA Galaxy 10R
ENGLISH WBIF-TV (PAX - Panama City) Galaxy 10R
ENGLISH WBMM-TV (PAX - Montgomery) Galaxy 10R
ENGLISH WBVT-TV (UPN-Burlington, VT) Galaxy 10R
ENGLISH WMQF-TV (Marquette) Galaxy 10R
ENGLISH WPXS-TV (PAX - Mount Vernon) Galaxy 10R
ENGLISH Primedia Channel Galaxy 11
ENGLISH RaceOnTV PAS-9
ENGLISH BYU TV SatMex-5
ENGLISH FM 107 SBS-6
ENGLISH All News Channel SBS-6
ENGLISH Asian FM Radio (WWBM) Intelsat 5 (AKA T5)
ENGLISH CNN Headline News Intelsat 5 (AKA T5)
ENGLISH DUBAI BUSINESS Intelsat 5 (AKA T5)
ENGLISH Los Angeles Home Shopping Intelsat 5 (AKA T5)
ENGLISH Maharishi Open TV Intelsat 5 (AKA T5)
ENGLISH MRTV 3 Intelsat 5 (AKA T5)
ENGLISH Nile TV Int'l Intelsat 5 (AKA T5)
ENGLISH Reality Radio Network Intelsat 5 (AKA T5)
ENGLISH Prayer Channel Intelsat 5 (AKA T5)
ENGLISH Scriptures for America Intelsat 5 (AKA T5)
ENGLISH The Overcomer Intelsat 5 (AKA T5)
ENGLISH Voice of Russian Jewry Intelsat 5 (AKA T5)
ENGLISH WVGN 107.3FM (Carribbean Community Intelsat 5 (AKA T5)
ENGLISH CBS Feeds Intelsat 6
ENGLISH Fox Feeds Intelsat 6
ENGLISH Fox News Channel Intelsat 6
ENGLISH Home Depot Intelsat 6
ENGLISH The University Network Intelsat 6
ENGLISH Maharishi Open University US Intelsat 11
ENGLISH ONN - Ohio News Network Intelsat 11
ENGLISH WEWB-TV (Albany) Intelsat 11
ENGLISH BYU TV Intelsat 12
ENGLISH Nederland Wereldomroep Intelsat 12
ENGLISH Sailing Channel Intelsat 12

are you dialing in just the free/local stuff or the PPV stuff too?
New to this forum, but I am a BUD satellite user also ( and also in Oregon).
All the channels above are absolutely free, IF you have the
equipment to receive them and IF you have a clear line of site across the southern arc of sky. You can get almost any channel. . In particular the stuff listed on G10 is useful because there is so much in one location. Most of it only needs a 1M (39") dish to get, but there is a lot more if you have a 6foot or larger dish.

There are hundreds of free channels up there that can be found, as well as subscriptions available if you have a 4DTV receiver for the big dish. Most Movie channels are lower in price on the BUD than the little dishs and there are many more of them available ( for instance there are 18 different HBO channels versus the 8 that are offered on DishNet), but the price is cheapest when you pay for a year in advance. However, the cost savings is offset by having to buy and maintain your own equipment, and there are far fewer HD channels to subscribe to than the pizza pan dishes.

There are also free NETWORK feeds available that allow you to watch from diffrent time zones on the BUD and FTA receivers, which is not allowed on most of the pizza dishes anymore. With some of the newest receivers you can watch most of the Networks in HD on all times zones using FTA receivers. However, these feeds move around sometimes from satellite to satellite aand require you to reprogram or find them again. There are many good web sites that help and are dedicated to those searches and the equipment used. The key is that you have to have a moving dish and a newer receiver, and that means it takes some time for the dish to move from one satellite to another. So the convenience factor of the little dishes having all the channels instantly available is not there.

I currently have both Dish Net and Bud subscriptions as the combination , plus all the free feeds give me about 1000 channels.

Sadly, most of the time, there isn't much worth watching on most of the channels, and there is a lot of duplication also.:usa2:

This site shows all the satellites up there and if you open up the Frequency listing on one it lists the channels that have been verified to be there (usually for a while). Many are unavailable because they are encrypted in some way, but any that have an F in the center column can be received with most FTA receivers.

http://www.lyngsat.com/america.html

Last edited:

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the helpful post.
equipment to receive them and IF you have a clear line of site across the southern arc of sky. You can get almost any channel. . In particular the stuff listed on G10 is useful because there is so much in one location. Most of it only needs a 1M (39") dish to get, but there is a lot more if you have a 6foot or larger dish.

There are hundreds of free channels up there that can be found, as well as subscriptions available if you have a 4DTV receiver for the big dish. Most Movie channels are lower in price on the BUD than the little dishs and there are many more of them available ( for instance there are 18 different HBO channels versus the 8 that are offered on DishNet), but the price is cheapest when you pay for a year in advance. However, the cost savings is offset by having to buy and maintain your own equipment, and there are far fewer HD channels to subscribe to than the pizza pan dishes.

There are also free NETWORK feeds available that allow you to watch from diffrent time zones on the BUD and FTA receivers, which is not allowed on most of the pizza dishes anymore. With some of the newest receivers you can watch most of the Networks in HD on all times zones using FTA receivers. However, these feeds move around sometimes from satellite to satellite aand require you to reprogram or find them again. There are many good web sites that help and are dedicated to those searches and the equipment used. The key is that you have to have a moving dish and a newer receiver, and that means it takes some time for the dish to move from one satellite to another. So the convenience factor of the little dishes having all the channels instantly available is not there.

I currently have both Dish Net and Bud subscriptions as the combination , plus all the free feeds give me about 1000 channels.

Sadly, most of the time, there isn't much worth watching on most of the channels, and there is a lot of duplication also.:usa2:

This site shows all the satellites up there and if you open up the Frequency listing on one it lists the channels that have been verified to be there (usually for a while). Many are unavailable because they are encrypted in some way, but any that have an F in the center column can be received with most FTA receivers.

North & South America - LyngSat

CptlA

DTVUSA Member

North & South America - LyngSat
So there are some HD channels available FTA?

TonyT

DTVUSA Member
What are the initial costs going to be for someone starting from scratch. Receiver, dish, cabling?

Also, do I have to use a Big Ugly Dish or do they make smaller ones now?