Gainesville indoor antenna needed

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
The antenna should work, it's a good choice for indoors. My concern is the location. I'm hoping your building is constructed of materials that will allow the signal to pass. I'd also suggest getting a long RG6 cable and testing it in several locations to find good reception.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
I agree with MrPogi. But, I'd point out that the signals are strong, so you shouldn't have much problem unless there are lots of walls between you and the towers. A window location facing west would be the best.

Piggie

Super Moderator
I live just 30 miles east of Gainesville. Channel 9 can be a problem, even in town. Where do you live in Gainesville? On Channel 9, that can mean a totally different antenna on one side of Gainesville vs the other. You must be on the west side with an NM of 48. Still TV Fool is a little optimistic on Channel 9 in Gainesville. They were required before analog turn off to put a null at Channel 9 in Orlando. After the cut off, they never applied to remove the null. I have no idea why, nothing was interfering. I and their chief engineer talked repeatedly to management. Nope. I gave up on them years ago now out here in Orange Springs. Now I just found out WESH is broadcasting NBC from a repeater, but it's super low power. I still after all these years live in NBC hell. I can see the repeater some times. Not a lot stronger than their main channel 11 out of Orlando some 80 miles away. Both are unusable, just enough to know there is a channel there sometimes.
So where are you in Gainesville?

garyh

DTVUSA Member
I live just 30 miles east of Gainesville. Channel 9 can be a problem, even in town. Where do you live in Gainesville? On Channel 9, that can mean a totally different antenna on one side of Gainesville vs the other. You must be on the west side with an NM of 48. Still TV Fool is a little optimistic on Channel 9 in Gainesville. They were required before analog turn off to put a null at Channel 9 in Orlando. After the cut off, they never applied to remove the null. I have no idea why, nothing was interfering. I and their chief engineer talked repeatedly to management. Nope. I gave up on them years ago now out here in Orange Springs. Now I just found out WESH is broadcasting NBC from a repeater, but it's super low power. I still after all these years live in NBC hell. I can see the repeater some times. Not a lot stronger than their main channel 11 out of Orlando some 80 miles away. Both are unusable, just enough to know there is a channel there sometimes.
So where are you in Gainesville?
It will be my daughter's rental house, just off the campus, very close to sorority housing. Near University and SW 13th st.

EDIT:
I also had the address slightly wrong for that original TV Fool report. Here is the correct one.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=46aef8647cb389

Last edited:

dkreichen1968

Staff member
My vote is for buying the Freevision FV-HD30 and trying it. They aren't that expensive and it can be returned if you get it from the right retailer (they are $39 on Amazon). I wouldn't cross the, channel 9 may be a problem, bridge until I got to it. It's nice to be aware of it, but with that predicted NM, you can have a lot of loss and still get a signal. ;) I'd be more worried about multipath than not having enough signal.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Channel 9 in Gainesville is a weird animal. Being where you are, it better than NE or SE Gainesville. I have seen the same antenna work at one end of a block and not the other. Multipath is often the culprit. But it happens all over town. It somewhat makes me think they aren't running the power they claim, which isn't jack diddly anyway. Then they have a null that takes in good bit of NW Gainesville, all of NE, SE and most of SW Gainesville. The owner said, their main audience is cable. They put up the transmitter because of must carry rules. They don't want to mess with the pattern (which if they did would be really omni) because it might cause problems for people west of town seeing it (it would slightly weaken it to the west of Newberry, but holly pigs and cows, most of their customers are in Gainesville! I walked away shaking my head and said, I hope that WESH repeater in Ocala gets me there. It doesn't. Still in NBC hell, have been, and now I am sure I always will be.

I own a Freevision FV-HD30 Antenna, and it's a fantastic antenna on UHF, does WAY better than specs. VHF? I don't know. Nothing close enough to test. I mean a stacked pair of long boom yagis and I can't see WNBW on 9.1. So frustrating because I can see 4 different NBC transmitters, sometimes. Not watchable at all. Just about 10 db more gain would make them all work I think, but I have already tried the biggest antennas they make, and the only other thing is to go up higher.

Last edited:

Piggie

Super Moderator
I hope it does well. I had a guy years ago now with about the same TV Fool report (different city entirely) but it worked inside for him.
Let me throw in here what NOT to buy, Winegard HD-1080 2-Bay Bowtie UHF and High Band VHF TV Antenna (HD-1080). I love Winegard antenna products but you have to call a dud a dud. The HD-1080 is a dud. I compared on next to a FreeVision and you didn't need any fancy meters. The FreeVision won hands down on UHF. Now interestingly, the HD-1080 could see (not watchable but could tell the signal was there, even popped in and out) WESH on channel 11 off the BACK of the antenna! I turned to toward WESH and nothing, nada. Looked at the pattern on their own charts and yes it has more VHF gain off the back. Maybe good for some special situation, but I gave my 1080 to my son that only needed a little bit of UHF outside (mainly outside) gain. For him it worked. He had no VHF, and only needed a little bit more signal from indoor antenna.

Last edited: