Galvanized or Stainless Steel for mounting an antenna?

Milled

DTVUSA Rookie
Quick question here for me before I go out and buy some brackets, nuts, and bolts for an antenna I bought off eBay. How long will galvanized material last if I use it to mount my antenna? Would I benefit any more if I use stainless steel? Stainless steel has gone up in pricing a bit, so if I can get away with galvanized nuts and bolts but not have any problems with rust or corrosion, I'll buy that instead. Thanks.

Jim

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Jim, :welcome:
Until last summer I had antennas in the air on a 40 foot telescopic mast since 1985, exposed to salt air from Puget Sound in Seattle. I used annodized steel fasteners and 'U' bolts and everything dissembled without a hitch. However, I used a copious quantity of RTV (silicone rubber) on the 'U' bolt threads and 'F' fittings. Next summer when I finalize my new antenna array I'll do the same. Works for me!
Jim

How long will galvanized material last if I use it to mount my antenna? Would I benefit any more if I use stainless steel?
Jim
I feel that either stainless or galvanized will outlast the antenna itself.

When using larger Stainless U-bolts there is a potential for galling. I use Brass nuts with stainless U-bolts to solve the problem.

Last edited: