Evaluation: Gary Busey Amazon Fire Ad

Now I've been very much enjoying this Amazon Fire TV ad starring Gary Busey:

[video=youtube;HHoNQrxG_8M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHoNQrxG_8M[/video]

After sharing this publicly, I was told several times that I shouldn't be laughing or approving of something that mocked mental illness. I'm usually pretty alert to this kind of discrimination, but I really didn't see it that way, or at least thought that this was as much Gary Busey cleverly mocking his reputation as it was exploitation of the actor.

What do you think of the ad? Is it hilarious or irresponsible, or a bit of both?

James

DTVUSA Member
I did not know he had such an illness until I read it here. From my brief online search I read an accident caused his difficulty..not really a genetic issue which in my mind is a big difference. So making fun of himself is making fun of Gary and HIS issues...which are not the same as a genetic issue..but you may have another opinion. I realize that what we laughed at years ago can land you on the bad list today. I recall jokes about people who had head injuries getting mad sometimes because.."the metal plate shifted" as the joke went.

Back to the video...knowing nothing about Gary other than his acting career...I thought it was pretty funny and clever. The ad is totally geared toward people who understand internet devices, voice command, and all that. If you don't get this huge part of the video, you won't know what it is about and could assume something about mental illness...I guess. OR if you are a pundit it is great fodder to get yourself attention. Remember-Today there are no repercussions for making outlandish connections between a video and real life events. It will get you all sorts of digital ink and some fame.

Speaking of mental illness...it runs in my family so I have seen it firsthand. I even had a child die of suicide due to it.

MMkaho

DTVUSA Member
Yea I understand the video it is a funny way to advertise very clever from a comedy point of view... And I also have a few not jobs including myself schizophrenia some have very vivid hallucinations some are just paranoid myself I'm paranoid which sucks but I love my thought process sometimes

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I kinda like the ad, really.

But, if I see it too much I'm afraid it will become annoying very quickly. I can see that happening soon - it's been popping up on Hulu and other sources of streaming TV. Streaming services (like Crackle) often repeat the same ONE commercial endlessly during a show... how annoying is that?

Thanks for your all of your thoughts. I'm glad I'm not alone in finding the ad funny and smart and enjoying Gary Busey send up his image in the media. I appreciate the way the ad makes fun of new technology while promoting it as well. I have experience dealing with mental illness personally and in my family and circle of friends too, but I know this doesn't exempt me from sensitivity to others' plights with mental health. As far as media representation goes, think it should be responded to on a case-by-case basis, though.

MMkaho

DTVUSA Member
Thanks for your all of your thoughts. I'm glad I'm not alone in finding the ad funny and smart and enjoying Gary Busey send up his image in the media. I appreciate the way the ad makes fun of new technology while promoting it as well. I have experience dealing with mental illness personally and in my family and circle of friends too, but I know this doesn't exempt me from sensitivity to others' plights with mental health. As far as media representation goes, think it should be responded to on a case-by-case basis, though.
I'm happy with mine sometimes its fun sometimes its just really scary... but this ad did make me wanna purchase a kindle fire