General DTV reception questions

paiken

DTVUSA Rookie

I have heard, my question is, zip code 04285, I live in a "bowl" between mountains; Is the new signal going to be available to me? or shoot right by.
I know I need a new antenna. The one I have, and a new one would be 15' or so off the ground.
I have a converter box I have not been able to figure out, (make it work with controller/tv , but I will figure that out later if I am going to have reception at all.

HELP??
thnx, paiken

Piggie

Super Moderator

I have heard, my question is, zip code 04285, I live in a "bowl" between mountains; Is the new signal going to be available to me? or shoot right by.
I know I need a new antenna. The one I have, and a new one would be 15' or so off the ground.
I have a converter box I have not been able to figure out, (make it work with controller/tv , but I will figure that out later if I am going to have reception at all.

HELP??
thnx, paiken
If you had TV before, there is a chance you will have TV still. But first we need to get your converter box hooked up to even know, since you already have an antenna. Also make sure the antenna is pointed in the correct direction, as stations may have changed

It's a catch 22 with figuring out your converter box vs figuring out if you will pick up any stations. We can speculate on paper, but that doesn't mean you will or won't receive signals.

Here is the simplest way to do it. Make sure your antenna is pointed south.
Next remove the antenna going in your TV and put that cable into the converter box. Take the cable that came with the box and it goes from the box to the TV where you removed the antenna.

The back of the box will be labled ant for antenna and TV that goes to the TV.

Plug in the converter box, turn the TV on to Channel 3. You should see a menu from the box.

Now find in the menu where it says Scan for Channels. Do that.
It will take a while.

Then when it's done see if it found any channels. Then report back here unless you need more help with the above steps.

paiken

DTVUSA Rookie
The box: I thought it could be hooked up before the transition with old antenna. is that so? my basic problem at the moment is I can't get controller (channel changer)/box/ to acknowledge tv. I was hoping to get through that first, then buy a new antenna.
thx for the help,,paiken

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
The box: I thought it could be hooked up before the transition with old antenna. is that so? my basic problem at the moment is I can't get controller (channel changer)/box/ to acknowledge tv. I was hoping to get through that first, then buy a new antenna.
thx for the help,,paiken
Paiken, yes, you can indeed connect the converter box before the transition. About 95% of the currently manufactured converter boxes are not capable of controlling the TV. Without knowing what specific model of TV and converter box is I can't say for sure, but you'll most likely need to use your TV remote to turn on the TV and adjust the volume, and use your converter box remote to change the channels.

Your old antenna should be just fine with the converter. Have you done a auto channel scan yet? Do you see a message displayed on your TV screen that says "Weak Signal"? Like Piggie said, I'd make sure your converter box is connected to your TV correctly first before buying a new antenna. :)

Piggie

Super Moderator
The box: I thought it could be hooked up before the transition with old antenna. is that so?
Yes, the stations have been broadcasting in digital for years. What confused everyone is they though June 12th is when the digital is turned on, no no no.

June 12th is when the analog is turned off. Digital has been running for years.

my basic problem at the moment is I can't get controller (channel changer)/box/ to acknowledge tv. I was hoping to get through that first, then buy a new antenna.
thx for the help,,paiken
Like Aaron says, most converter box won't control the TV and most TV remotes won't control the converter box. Takes one remote for one, and the other for the other.