Question: Get different channels with a paper clip vs clear tv antenna

Hi, so I installed a new TV in my house facing the southeast more, and I tried using an old ClearTV antenna to see what channels we picked up. Surprisingly I picked up a lot more channels. I tried bending a paperclip and inserting it into the coaxial cable jack, I received less channels than with the ClearTV, but I also received different channels.

I also tried using the cleartv antenna amplifier with it, and I received even less channels than with the paperclip.

Anyone know what's up? Is CleaTV just a bad and unreliable antenna?

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I think the amplifier is cheap and noisy, and degrades the signal quality. That's why you get fewer channels.

Hi, so I installed a new TV in my house facing the southeast more, and I tried using an old ClearTV antenna to see what channels we picked up. Surprisingly I picked up a lot more channels. I tried bending a paperclip and inserting it into the coaxial cable jack, I received less channels than with the ClearTV, but I also received different channels.
Lots of stuff can be going on. I assume the paperclip was close to the TV. Indoors, RF signals can be flukey, bouncing around like a meth addict. Some frequencies might really have a sweet spot right by yer TV. Or could just be luck on the scan. You have to try several scans at the same time of day, for each antenna, to really know what's up.

Doesn't sound like you had a balun attached to the paperclip. There are some half-serious paperclip antennas on YouTube. They all seem to have balun transformers.

I also tried using the cleartv antenna amplifier with it, and I received even less channels than with the paperclip. Anyone know what's up? Is CleaTV just a bad and unreliable antenna?
I don't think anyone here has ever recommended the ClearTV. It's like a Mohu Leaf antenna, but even smaller = less gain. Leafs are worse than dipole/loop antennas (aka old fashioned rabbit ears) except they're easy to stick in a window and LQQK CQQL there. Location usually wins all the marbles when you're stuck indoors.

I'm sure MrP is right about the amp. I wouldn't buy an amp from someone who sells such a cheap antenna.

R.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
You have some very strong signals, so some may be overloading the tuner even with the Clear TV antenna. That is why they recommended a filter or attenuator. That also explains why the paperclip would pick up different stations.