Question: Getting More Local TV Channels Indoors In A Apartment During Power Outages

I am having trouble getting at least 1 DTV station in my apartment when the power is out. The antenna that came with the LCD TV is not pulling in anything in the apartment. And also deeds restrictions is not permitting anyone in Mayfair Apartments in Virginia Beach, Virginia to put up a outdoor antenna for Digital TV reception except for a satellite Direct TV dish. I tried to use the included whip antenna that is built in with the LCD TV that it's not picking up anything. As far as my research
they used to have a master TV antenna in the attic, but the maintence personell disabled it because of cable TV take over. Are there any solutions when the power is out to get at least 3 or 5 digital TV stations? Please let me know. Thanks.

Adam E.
Virginia Beach, VA

scandiskwindows9x

Moderator of DTV Latino
Well Adam can check and post the tvfool data for see the solutions,

Also with an indoor antenna isn't the optimal for pull up DTV channels many by multi path have reception issues.

Forgot say an rabbit ear antenna or an antenna for DVB_T that is 6 cms just have about 6DB of gain for channels that is low signal is not enough and.you can get the stronger signal ones, also location is critical, have you any vista to transmitters? Have buildings near, is many things to consider.

http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

This is an example of tvfool report of a friend that lives on the great lakes area

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=7fcfb1dbab9e3a

http://www.tvfool.com/
Francisco

Sent from my LG-P500h using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: Adam,

The apartment restrictions are probably in violation of Federal Law which make them null and void. Please go to the following US Government link to see a page that covers your right to have a television antenna.
Installing Consumer-Owned Antennas and Satellite Dishes | FCC.gov

As mentioned above, we can help you select an appropriate antenna if you go to the following website and plug in your specific details including antenna height above ground. Then post the resulting URL here for us to study. TV Fool

Jim

dkreichen1968

Staff member
I am having trouble getting at least 1 DTV station in my apartment when the power is out. The antenna that came with the LCD TV is not pulling in anything in the apartment. And also deeds restrictions is not permitting anyone in Mayfair Apartments in Virginia Beach, Virginia to put up a outdoor antenna for Digital TV reception except for a satellite Direct TV dish. I tried to use the included whip antenna that is built in with the LCD TV that it's not picking up anything. As far as my research
they used to have a master TV antenna in the attic, but the maintence personell disabled it because of cable TV take over. Are there any solutions when the power is out to get at least 3 or 5 digital TV stations? Please let me know. Thanks.

Adam E.
Virginia Beach, VA
First off the antennas that come with portable digital TVs is pretty much worthless. Due to the monopole they have tons of multipath problems. About any other type of indoor antenna will work better.

Second, your landlord, HOA, or local government can't legally restrict you from having a broadcast TV antenna in an area that you control. That has been federal law since 1996. Installing Consumer-Owned Antennas and Satellite Dishes | FCC.gov

Here is your TV Fool

It looks very promising even if you are restricted to a good indoor antenna. Most signals are coming from the west so the closer to that side of the building you are the better.

Are there any solutions when the power is out to get at least 3 or 5 digital TV stations? Please let me know. Thanks.

Adam E.
Virginia Beach, VA
Are you using a handheld TV with a digital tuner or how are you powering your TV set? Reason why I ask is because a lot of the handheld TV's with digital tuners have inferior antennas. As others have stated, we'll need to see your TV fool results.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Are we allowed to mount an antenna outside at a apartment complex?
In most cases, the answer is yes per Federal Law.
Installing Consumer-Owned Antennas and Satellite Dishes | FCC.gov

This doesn't mean you can drill holes into your landlord's building to mount an antenna or drill a hole through his wall to bring coaxial cable into your apartment without permission.

A typical option: if you have a deck railing, you can 'temporarily' clamp an antenna mast to it. To bring the coax indoors, there is a special 'jumper' coax cable available which is flat and can be put in a window casing or a door jamb, which still allows the window or door to be closed and locked.

Jim

scandiskwindows9x

Moderator of DTV Latino
If are trying with an small television portable this.recommendations will not work,.if are trying of connect your main TV to an antenna would get good results, even can see other channels that your cable company don't have because.just have in their lineup the main channels not the secondary ones which can be better in programming.

Can not be as solution the antenna Philips of indoor or an RCA flat one that is amplified I think could be a nice option

Also as live in apartment have more chances of get good signal due to height factors thing that in a house is complex unless install the antenna with mast on height.

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=SDV2940/27&scy=US&slg=en

Could not get all the channels but the ones locals can be enough.

Also have many channels on line of sight LOS that mean not obstructions due big buildings and etc some on tropospheric propagation and some with knife edge propagation,.to those fringe is expert in those one and two edge diffraction if need more help just post on here

Best regards
Francisco
Sent from my LG-P500h using Tapatalk 2

scandiskwindows9x

Moderator of DTV Latino
Adam, i think aerial information asking is important to precise, the digital signal is highly directional and the location matters of your antenna and the transmitter or translator, even to me i always have problems with the channel 26 that is with a weak signal and the location of the antenna is important, my current antenna is one with reflector but too is directional the antenna and even a few inches of displacement of the antenna can mean a big difference in signal strength and signal quality. even if have to use a indoor antenna would be fine, by see your TVfool report, your location looks like very flat so is not obstructions and that is promising, even to me where i am have a bunch of obstacles, houses back and ahead, and am not in LOS with the transmitter so face many problems with reception, you do not have lot to loose by bad that be the antenna would get more channels and for free.