Girl dies after TV falls on top of her

A 6-year-old girl died from a head injury after a television set fell on top of her inside her El Monte home, authorities said today.

Kimberley Menjivar may have been reaching for something on a dresser Sunday when the bureau tipped forward and the 32-inch television on top of it slid off and hit her in the head, said Det. David Smith of the El Monte Police Department.
El Monte girl dies after TV set falls on top of her | L.A. Now | Los Angeles Times

Feel bad for the family!

Not sure if the TV was a flat panel, but if you have children (or even if you don't!) make sure and mount your TV's or position them correctly the first time you bring it home. I've connected a few TVs before just to test them out of the box, and left them to sit overnight on a night stand until I could get to it the next day. Never again.

that's why i like 25" consoles from the 1970s so much. no way they're falling on anyone. plus they have plenty of space on top for a VCR or DVD player. no entertainment center required. call me old fashioned, i still find 25" plenty big

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
that's why i like 25" consoles from the 1970s so much. no way they're falling on anyone. plus they have plenty of space on top for a VCR or DVD player. no entertainment center required. call me old fashioned, i still find 25" plenty big
25" is perfect for me if I'm only sitting 5' away from the TV. 7' = 40" and 9' = atleast a 52" ;) I'm the guy at the movie theaters that likes to sit in the front.

antkmom

DTVUSA Member
That is horrible. When we hung our flat screen, we discussed how dangerous it would be if it happened to fall off the wall. We have a crib sitting on the side of it, now I am going to move the crib.

Being a parent myself, I can not and do not want to imagine how the parents feel about such a tragedy. This is just sad. I hope all TV sets these days come standard with a professional installation service just to make sure nothing like these will EVER happen again. TVs are build to help our family enjoy them, NEVER harm them physically.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
if my Trailer had a tv on the wall not only would i be afraid the TV would fall, but i'd be afraid it'd take the wall with it!
;) Wonder how many people have thought that they've mounted to a stud, put the TV up, and have it fail. Out here in Cali, it's very possible with all the frickin dry wall in apartments and houses.

In this case though, it has to be so tragic to lose a child like this...definitely something that could be avoided with just a little common sense.

I've heard these type of stories way too often. Either the tv is on a dresser or there have been instances where the display tv at a store falls on a child. It's too bad that it happens.

those giant LCD TVs are too heavy to install to the studs in a mobile home. it'll literally take the wall down or stress the structure to where eventually it deforms the entire structure.

This is bad. That is the reason why installation of TV must be done with correct planning. We had the same problem before and we lost our set during a earth quake in Tokyo where lived before and now we are cautious not to make that happen.

I could not imagine how that family is dealing with that tragedy. That is awful. The only reason our tv isn't mounted is because we are in an apartment and we can't have the holes in the walls. But at least we don't have kids yet and we are careful about when we do things on the tv stand.