Question: giving signal to three televisions with a single rooftop antenna

scandiskwindows9x

Moderator of DTV Latino
well today my sister got two new LCD TV for the kitchen and an bedroom but now i have an problem, i have currently connected an television with an single antenna to a converter box and the converter box to my Plasma display but now have to install two converter boxes to the two new televisions, my question is, i need an amplifier or some kind of extra thing besides the splitters, cables, etc etc,

what cautions needs to have when split the digital signal to 3 televisions?

is an tv channel that currently is working in low power broadcast so just with an rooftop antenna can get the signal, would get some problem if use some amplification to avoid leakeage of signal when i split the signals to 3 tv sets?

well best regards

Francisco

SWHouston

Staff member
Francisco,

I must have missed something in one of your previous posts.
? Why do you need Converters, when you now have three Digital Televisions ?

You should not use a Pre-Amp, unless the Transmitters are more than 30 miles away.

You should use a 3-Way Splitter, then see if you need any Amplification to a given Television.
That is the cheapest way to see what's going on. Then, if you need a Distribution Amp for
the three sets, you can buy. But, you can use a Single Line Distribution Amp, if you only
need to boost the signal to one of the Televisions.

There are many ways to configure splitters and amps to get the signal strength up on a
single line, or two lines of the three.

? It would be nice if we could see a TVFool Report on your area, but, I don't think that is
possible in Chile, is that correct ?

scandiskwindows9x

Moderator of DTV Latino
Well the reality in chile just is three brands of televisions that manufacturate digitals televisions for the DTV system japanese brazilian are panasonic,lg,aoc, samsung. Converters boxes just are store brands and some brands of fantasy only. As said this system is expensive because the big brands will not made products for a market that is not big like the south american one. Also this televisión was in rebate that LCDTV.

About the tvfool, I given that idea by mail to the ministery of telecommunications, the equivalent of the FCC in the united states, they said that would consider the idea when the framework of law that will regulate the DTV on chile be completely approved by both chambers. I wish too could show the tv fool but here don't exist that.

Best regards
Francisco

Sent from my LG-P500h using Tapatalk

SWHouston

Staff member
Francisco,

I've always enjoyed reading your posts, they're so revealing. ;)

?Do you know that TVFool is a Private Enterprise, there is no Government affiliation.?
A person named Andy Lee is the Webmaster, and he assembles all that information for everyone. He also sells spots on his Website, which no doubt are profitable to him.
This type service is needed for the Southern regions of the Continent.
?Do you think that you might be interested in doing something like that ?

?But, what of the 3-Way Splitter, will you get one and try it ?

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Francisco,

I don't know how things will work with the Chile system, but when I split my US ATSC signal 4 ways I either had no change in signal strength/quality or an improvement on all 4 TVs or converter boxes. Of course I'm using a pre-amp for my system. I would encourage you to try it and see what the results are.

Dan

scandiskwindows9x

Moderator of DTV Latino
well if i were interested in do something like this or a "copy" of the TV fool version chilean would not work. like all the copies.

i should mount an database of all locations and etc, which would be something that am not used with the streets and etc, and analyze things that are not in my area of knowledge, , propagation things would and will be always be a matter that is just of knowledge of engineers in electronics and electrical, no really my area.

as far as i know i do not know the exact data of the transmitters in here with some luck i know where are located but i do not know the heights and etc for do an precise , accurate analysis.

about the splitter well i have in mind use one for dish systems for the high datastream that can hold and low loss.

DKR, i do not know really if would the thing work or not, as far as i know ATSC when travels over coaxial cable gets converted in QAM64 signal, our system is still over air modulated in QAM 64 so do not know if would work, also the time that tried of use an distribution amplifier for just one tv set got worse results., but the sure thing is that would think and the next week do the test and etc by now have an splitter of 2 ways

best regards

Francisco

rdoac

DTVUSA Rookie
What digital system is used in Chile? It sounds like DVB-T? Also, do you use US or Euro style adapters/cabling? Having moved from Europe to the US, I can tell you that the systems are different enough that things that would work in Europe won't in the US and vice versa. Am intrigued that the LCD's don't have digital tuners in them? How do the converter boxes connect? By Scart or Antenna cable? Is HD available OTA?

scandiskwindows9x

Moderator of DTV Latino
Well we use the ISDB-T but with the modifications made by brazil, in others words the brazilian version that uses MPEG 4 H 264 and well the only difference with DVB is that this system adopted have time interleaver.

By now is just demonstrative signals over air in HD the main channels only and some does in low power so get a signal it's complicated, by example the channel 11 HD is just broadcasting at 1,5kw and the other channels are at 8 to 15kw

About the cabling and sockets used in here are the chilean system with round blades in there the televisión that was purchased have any digital turner because the first time don't choosed the DTV system till the past year and well probably this LCDTV was made before of the government made a decision, but of anyway here before was some ATSC televisions but was stopped of import and just imported televisions without any digital system inside.

Well here isn't used scart connector instead of that we use the same connectors used in united states s video, etc etc
The converter box here have HDMI , video component and composite video output, also

Best regards
Francisco

scandiskwindows9x

Moderator of DTV Latino
I did finally this but for two televisions and the results are ok, but the attenuation in the channel with lowest power is just between 20s % in the channel 11 HD the others channels remain the strenght in almost 100% I used a splitter for digital cable nagashi of two ways and a coaxial cable and also checked connections and did two circles in both cables in the one to splitter and the one that goes down .

Best regards
Francisco