Giving up Directv.

ron27013

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Been watching more and more OTA. Pay about $100. a month to Directv and thinking about dropping it and going to OTA. I have an old Directv DVR that I used before switching to the new HD DVR years ago. Can I hook my converter and ota antenna to the old dvr and record with it? Any help would be appreciated.

:welcome: to the forum, Ron! Congratulations on your decision to ditch the dish.

Been watching more and more OTA. Pay about $100. a month to Directv and thinking about dropping it and going to OTA. I have an old Directv DVR that I used before switching to the new HD DVR years ago. Can I hook my converter and ota antenna to the old dvr and record with it? Any help would be appreciated.
I think it depends on which old DirectTV DVR you have. You might or might not need an AM-21 tuner. I found a thread on it here:
Can Dish or DirecTV DVR record external content? - DBSTalk.Com

A good google search string for you:
DirectTV AM-21

If you do have to spring for the AM-21, you might be happier jumping right to a TiVo. You may or may not need a converter as well. Depends on whether your TV is digital capable. Almost every TV made after 2008 has digital built in.

Rick

Last edited:

ron27013

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thanks Rick. Looked at the DVR and was surprised to see it's a Hughes Model no. SD DVR 40 and it's a Tivo. I had it a long time ago with Directv. Forgot it was a Tivo. Like I mentioned, I would like to hook up my ota antenna to it. Does this info help?

Thanks Rick. Looked at the DVR and was surprised to see it's a Hughes Model no. SD DVR 40 and it's a Tivo. I had it a long time ago with Directv. Forgot it was a Tivo. Like I mentioned, I would like to hook up my ota antenna to it. Does this info help?
I hope so. It's "dual tuner capable." Here's a link to the features: TiVopedia - Hughes SD-DVR40 for DIRECTV and here's a link to the manual: http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/System_Manuals/Hughes/HNS_SD_DVR40.pdf

It's all up to you from there. ;)

Rick

I've done some calling around and found out it won't work. Thanks for your help.
You certainly have many options that are going to cost less than $100 PER MONTH! Yowza! That's the one thing about OTA. Nobody is going to come to your home, hook it all up, hand you the remote, and then charge you $100 a month FOREVER to keep it going. That's what the cable/dish/fiber-optics people do to suck you in.

Don't give up the ship!

Rick

ron27013

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I had ota growing up. Remember them talking about pay tv. My father thought that meant we were eventually going to have to have tvs that you had to put a coin in to get tv. Well, it was the late 50s.
I find myself watching ME tv and Antenna tv more than the Directv. I just haven't made the move yet. As a sports fan, what's the alternative?

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
... As a sports fan, what's the alternative?
Ron,

I watch FOX (free) for NFL and NASCAR and they have signed a contract for 9 or 10 more years of coverage. The Stanley Cup final games were on NBC this year. I don't watch a lot of sports, but what I have works for me.

Jim

haven't made the move yet. As a sports fan, what's the alternative?
I find the following google search terms to be very useful:
free live stream "whatever I'm looking for"

The "whatever ..." can be very specific, as in "Broncos versus Steelers" or very general, as in "ABC," or "football." Some streams you find will be completely legal, some will be copyright infringements -- not recommended. 95% of the links you get will be dead ends, as the internet itself slowly sinks into a commercial cesspool. Let your conscience be your guide. Individual viewers don't get in trouble just watching, but you are technically aiding and abetting a felony. Often, the streams originate off shore, e.g. Puerto Rico, Cajun Islands, etc. There are also sites with paid monthly subscriptions. Caveat emptor.

Some day, everything will be on the internet. Truth be told, it probably is now. It's just a hell of a hassle to find where they're hiding the good stuff. In fact, for a sports fan, it's probably close to $100 a month worth of hassle.

R.

Last edited:

ron27013

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I know as a baseball fan, you can get MLB tv for around $100. a season. I'm a Duke basketball fan and "March Madness" is big with me. I'm pretty sure the games are on line. Thanks guys.

ron27013

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I just talked to the Tivo people. They have a model that cost about $80.00. It's $15. a month for service. Can record ota programming. Also heard about Channel Master. Any thoughts on these or other items would be appreciated.

I just talked to the Tivo people. They have a model that cost about $80.00. It's $15. a month for service. Can record ota programming. Also heard about Channel Master. Any thoughts on these or other items would be appreciated.
My belief is you can cobble this all together with Windows Media Center and a good PC. But it's complicated, and I haven't done it, so can't comment further. In fact, I just cut the cable cord a few months ago.

I would start with the basics first. You haven't even mentioned what kind of OTA reception you get. It varies enormously depending on your proximity to a big city, and what kind of antenna you have hooked up.

Here's a thread with some opinions on TiVo: http://www.dtvusaforum.com/dtv-hdtv-chat/37345-tivo-dvr-one-better.html

There's a lot of advice on cutting the cable cord here: How to cancel cable TV and still watch your favorite shows. — CancelCable.com
That guy eventually decided to give up TiVo in favor of Hulu and an HDMI cable: Canceling Cable: March 2010 update — CancelCable.com

More advice/opinions on cable cutting:
How To Cut Cable TV and Save $750 A Year
O'Brien: How my family cut cable TV service and lived to tell the tale - San Jose Mercury News
O'Brien said:
Be warned: Ours is not the easier road. We are saving a lot of money in return for making our viewing habits more complicated. That cable bill is mostly about convenience.
And good old Clark Howard likes the Roku: Clark Howard: Cut cable, satellite with Internet TV option | Atlanta Bargain Hunter

R.