Glee?

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
I keep seeing the previews for upcoming shows and always tell myself that I want to catch an episode, but then always forget. From what I see it looks really good. Any thoughts? I don't record shows or have that capability, so if it is really good I would just have to make a point of making sure I am at home to watch it.

dipbunny

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I also haven't been able to watch the latest episodes of glee right now. I'm waiting for the DVD copy. Well I think it will be good to watch because the ratings are really high and there are a lot of good comments on the latest episodes.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I watched the first several shows but then it turned into a soap opera with a teen pregnancy and the choir master's wife pretending to be pregnant and wanting to buy the cheerleader's baby. I stopped watching at that point.

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
glee episodes is based on student of collage.students are strugel in jungel and singing.when i watch that episodes i'm realy enjoyed.so i dowmloads gee episodes.
Dowmloads Gee???? If you're going to spam the forum, at least do it right my man.

Last edited by a moderator:

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
I watched the first several shows but then it turned into a soap opera with a teen pregnancy and the choir master's wife pretending to be pregnant and wanting to buy the cheerleader's baby. I stopped watching at that point.

Eh, there is too much of that already these days with reality t.v. I think I may skip this one, or maybe watch a few episodes here and there, but doesn't sound like something I would become a fan of. It looked interesting from the previews because it seemed to be about high school choir and performing arts, when most shows and movies center around sports and parties.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
My wife has heard so much positive reaction to this series, that she put it on our Netflix queue for this summer. I was originally pretty skeptical, but this show managed to build audience after a four month hiatus mid-season - only one post-hiatus episode had a smaller audience than the average for the full season. That's extremely impressive in this industry.

Glee just came up to the top of our queue this past week. We've now seen eight episodes, and the show is really as good as the positive reactions from most of its fans, and the ratings statistics, indicate. It is a teen drama - it is supposed to be. There are others, but I feel the only ones for which "there are too many of them already" apply are the ones that are actually bad - Glee is good. It is, very deliberately, campy, so some of the scenarios are (again, very deliberately) outrageous. That's part of the fun.

The lead actress, Lea Michele, is actually a remarkable talent. I think she is more of a reason why the show is successful than practically anyone associated with the production is willing to let-on. She did a duet (of-sorts) with Kristen Chenowith - someone widely recognized as one of the best singing talents around today - and Lea mostly held her own.

Sometimes, though, her over-the-top talent is jarring in contrast to the great-but-not-super-stellar talent of some of the other younger performers on the show. For example, the lead cheerleader, whom seems sometimes is presented within the context of the show as a contemporary to Lea Michele's character, in terms of talent, is in reality a marginal singing talent, and that's being generous. And although the male lead, Matthew Morrison, (the teacher) is in Lea Michele's league, the men that Lea Michele often sings with, most often Cory Monteith, aren't in her league, and again, that's a bit jarring.

However, that's really the biggest criticism I can come up with for the show. I've now got to figure out a way to fit it into our Fall schedule, assuming that the second half of the first season is rerun over this summer.

Last edited:

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
Thanks again for all the replies. Bicker, your post has made me change my mind though. After reading the others I dismissed this show, but seeing what you wrote made me decide to load it on Netflix too and check it out. My "Q" is pretty full right now, but I may try to get some time in to watch a few to see if I like it.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
As it is, Glee ends up against NCIS and No Ordinary Family this fall, so it won't make it into our DVR's Now Playing List unless it is rerun on the weekends, or until rerun season. Worst case, we'll pick it up against next summer, on DVD.

In other news, Glee earned 19 primetime Emmy Awards nominations for 2010 (the most for any television series this year), including best comedy series, two best director nominations, and acting nods for Lea Michele, Matthew Morrison, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Mike O'Malley, Neil Patrick Harris, and Kristin Chenoweth.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Who knows. Maybe one day I'll play catchup, but I just don't like all the soap opera elements. It began so strongly before making that turn. The music continues to be strong though.