Going from Cable TV to Antenna

U

Unregistered

I have an older TV that I've used a Cox set top box with for years. Now that I'm going to cancel cable, I need to know exactly what I need to get my TV to work with an antenna and what type of antenna I need.

Here is my TV tower location

TV Fool

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Ahh, good ol' Rachacha. I'm from there, please send white hots. I grew up near Goodman / Clinton area.

I assume you're just north of the city. I believe the main Rochester transmitters are all still up on Pinnaccle Hill.

First, you'll need to get a converter box for your old TV, or a new TV. My own personal view is you should buy a TV if you can afford it. Converter boxes are notorious for being poor built, and they won't get you HDTV. And think of the money you will be saving without cable, that could pay for a new TV in a year! Prices on TV sets are reasonable right now after the big game and as retailers clean out last year's stock. Check Walmart for some good deals on clearance. If you decide you want to go with a converter box, you can get them for around $50 from Amazon.com, or locally from Best Buy or Radio Shack. You could also check Walmart online.

As far as an antenna - If you're putting it outside, I'd suggest a 4-bay antenna, pointed pretty much directly to magnetic south. This will get you most Rochester channels - 8,10, 13, 21 and 31, etc, and then some. A 4 bay antenna will cost you about $50+.

If you want more channels and are willing to spend more, get a rotor.

Again, Send White Hots. I'm Dyin' here.

Last edited:

dkreichen1968

Staff member
A more exact TVfool report would help us with antenna suggestions. If your close to the point it shows now reception should be fairly easy.

As far as what you will need to make your TV work... Assuming that it doesn't have a digital tuner (make sure to check for "DTV", "SDTV", or "HDTV" markings before spending any extra money) you will need a converter box. They are still available at retailers such as Walmart and Radio Shack. The best ones were made by Zenith, Insigna, and Channel Master. The later production of the Digital Stream converters, sold at Radio Shack, also do a good job, but the earlier ones had bad capacitors in their power supplies.

Since converter boxes can cost more than $50 for the better ones, and are infamous for reliability problems, depending on the size of your TV, it may make sense to replace it with a new HDTV.

Last edited:

SWHouston

Staff member
The way I see it, is there's two ways to go here.

Simple...
Just get something like the new Winegard FreeVision, and set it stationary on 170°.
(he's got 1 VHF-Hi)

Or...
Go with a Antenna Craft HBU33 and a Rotator, where you could pick up the ION and MyN and others.

MrPogi

Staff member
The way I see it, is there's two ways to go here.

Simple...
Just get something like the new Winegard FreeVision, and set it stationary on 170°.
(he's got 1 VHF-Hi)

Or...
Go with a Antenna Craft HBU33 (or even larger)and a Rotator, where you could pick up the ION and MyN and others.
Actually, he's got 2 VHF-hi, 10 and 13. But he's so close to the transmitters that a 4 bay will do fine - even a 2 bay should work that close. He may pull in Ion on the 4 bay pointed S. as well, it's a pretty strong signal, and a 4 bay has a pretty wide beam.

I would go with the HBU-33 if he plans on adding a rotor to get Buffalo, Syracuse, and Canada. TV fool hasn't been doing very well at tracking Canadian stations switch to digital. Here's data from RabbitEars.info for that zip code out to 80 miles.

MrPogi

Staff member
But guys, the OP's tvfool is only resolved to the ZIP code, so his actual tvfool may be quite different. I'd like more info.
Rochester, NY I'm familiar with, I grew up there. From that zip code, he's got a straight shot at the towers on Pinnacle Hill - the highest point in Rochester. (I played there when I was a kid... Ah, good times, good times...) and there are few tall buildings in the area. The only problem he could have is if he's at the far eastern edge of 14605, and then Cobbs Hill *might* block some signal. Other than that, he's pretty much in "paper clip for an antenna" territory. I'd actually recommend a 2 - bay if it weren't for those pesky VHF-hi channels. I think the FreeVision is really a good choice here, too.

Last edited:

Chips

DTVUSA Member
I agree with Pogi. When I play with my laptop in Rochester, I get everything with a rabbit ear. The only issue you can have is with the VHF stations, Ch.10 and Ch.13, but that appears to be when you get further out and only if you are using rabbit ears. In Rochester you should get everything, without much effort. Ch.10-2 has MeTV, and Ch.13 has ABC and on 13-2 CW both in HD with 720p.

SWHouston

Staff member
Thanks for the catch on that Pogi...

It would be real nice if the Station Locator's were able to be sorted by Direction.
I think that would be a lot easier on Users, to decide what Antenna to get.
(there may be some that do that, I'm just not aware of any)

G

Rochester Problem with just one channel, channel 8

I am in Rochester downtown and I get all stations pretty good except channel 8, is it possibly one of the tall buildings is blocking that signal from Pinnacle Hill? I live in a 5 story loft type building and my antennae faces south, I have to north perspective at all. It is a cheap antennae but works fine for all other channels. I have done the rescan many times but it never picks it up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Guest,

Please go to TV Fool and run your free antenna survey based on the height of your antenna, then post the resulting URL here for us to study. It would also help us if we knew what you are using for an antenna.

Jim

MrPogi

Staff member
Guest:
We really need that TV fool report to help. It would also help if you could tell us more about the construction of your building and the surroundings.

I am quite familiar with Rochester, I grew up there - we used to play on Pinnacle Hill as kids.

Chips

DTVUSA Member
I am in Rochester downtown and I get all stations pretty good except channel 8, is it possibly one of the tall buildings is blocking that signal from Pinnacle Hill? I live in a 5 story loft type building and my antennae faces south, I have to north perspective at all. It is a cheap antennae but works fine for all other channels. I have done the rescan many times but it never picks it up.
TV Fool report would help. But if you are getting Ch.10 and CH.13, which are on VHF, you should be getting CH.8 on UHF. Ch. 10 and 13 are VHF, Ch.21 is on RF 16, and 31 is on RF 28, all the stations are coming from the same location. The difference is Ch.8 is on RF 45, at 1000kw. Have you try to tune with your TV remote directly to CH.8. To do that try typing in your remote 45.1, or if your using a converter box, just type in 45, after you tune to 45.1, try turning your antenna in different directions, a little bit of turn each time and remember that it takes time for a DTV tuner to respond.