Good Indoor Antenna?

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
My pick for a strong indoor antenna would be an outdoor antenna used indoors. Either a 2 or 4 bay "bow-tie" style if all that's needed is UHF in your area. You could even make one yourself. Cache Free TV: Make Your Own TV Antenna

The problem with indoor antennas isn't the "antenna" part, it's the "indoor" part. There's a lot of obstructions, reflections, and interference from appliances and electronics that degrade the signal before it even reaches your indoor antenna.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Guest,

Here is a strong indoor antenna I built and used for a year about 4 years back. It received 9 VHF channels from my underground basement. In the same underground basement, using another home-brew antenna I was only able to capture 4 UHF channels. Not bad, considering.

Jim

Last edited:

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Jim,
It's not pretty (well, SOME of us might think it pretty, but our wives would disagree!) but it shows that an antenna designed for outdoors usually beats one designed for indoors. Size does matter. And I'm sure that the same antenna mounted outside would perform much better.