Google and Partners Seek TV Foothold (NY Times article)

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Hehe.

Google really does have the ganas to revolutionize scripted television entertainment. As with any revolution, though, the biggest obstacle is not the opposing competitors, but rather Luddites -- folks who oppose the revolution, because it would require them to adjust. There are still people who resent the digital transition, fourteen years after our nation made the decision to make the transition, just because it means that they have to buy new televisions or devices to bridge the gap from their old equipment and today's technology, as if every purchase they made came with it a solemn guarantee that what they bought would work exactly as they wished it to work, forever. The ability to adapt is one of humanity's greatest strengths, but it seems that some folks are working hard to undercut this advantage, and thereby obstructing progress.

Ehh, it was only a matter of time before Google started finding a way that they could move into the television market, although I never expected that I would see something like this happening so soon.

That's Google for you though, they are pretty much the Microsoft of the new millenium it seems.

Comcast keeps raising their rates all the freaking time, and we barely are paying our other bills as it is!

Seriously though I wouldn't get too used to Online TV though, because once it gets popular enough they are going to start charging for it, and eventually we may be looking at fees as high as regular Cable TV!

Comcast is actually a pretty good value compared to the alternatives.
I would have to disagree with you there, and I also hate how they push competition out of the area, and pretty much charge whatever they want for pricing. About the only thing I will give them credit for is that it's pretty easy to call them up and ask for lower prices for a 6 month promotion or whatever, and then call them back 6 months later and do it again.

Kinda hard for anyone to compete with the Comcast juggernaut though, considering that they either buy out other cable companies or back them into a corner.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
I would have to disagree with you there
Do you disagree? or do you just want to say you disagree? To actually disagree, you'd have to conclude that several other sources of subscription television are substantially better values than Comcast. That's simply not the case. I'm paying more for FiOS than I did for Comcast. DirecTV isn't less expensive for the same number of channels. And so on.

So what are you actually thinking about when you say you disagree? What other sources are substantially better values than Comcast, in your view? Why do you think that they reflect a better value?

and I also hate how they push competition out of the area
They don't though. Rather, what pushes competition out of the area is the fact that so many consumers are so stingy that it is simply not worth it to competitors to offer service.

Even deep-pockets Verizon has now announced officially that they've given up on further expanding the footprint of its FiOS service. Why would they stop growing? Simple! Because they've discovered that mass-market consumers (read: "Wal-mart shoppers!") are unwilling to pay a premium for a premium service. There simply is not enough money to be made. And the fault rests on consumers.

and pretty much charge whatever they want for pricing.
And every time someone has posted their bill, here or on AVS or on TCF or anywhere else, I've been able to show that Comcast is the low-cost provider.

About the only thing I will give them credit for is that it's pretty easy to call them up and ask for lower prices for a 6 month promotion or whatever, and then call them back 6 months later and do it again.
That should end soon, given that they've realized that they don't actually make more money that way.

However, one thing of note: Comcast was available to me 24/7 not just for repair, but for billing, service changes, etc. For most things, Verizon FiOS tells me to call back during weekday business hours. Advantage: Comcast. And you can probably expect that to change eventually, too, since Comcast really doesn't benefit from the added cost they incur to provide that higher level of service as compared to Verizon FiOS.

Kinda hard for anyone to compete with the Comcast juggernaut though, considering that they either buy out other cable companies or back them into a corner.
No: It is hard for anyone to compete with Comcast because consumers are cheap. Consumers are unwilling to do what they should to motivate more than one terrestrial and two satellite service providers in any market. As a matter of fact, I wonder if there is even enough monetizable customer demand to warrant the survival of both satellite service providers. Consumer stinginess may drive the two to merge, just to be able to make enough money to warrant staying in business.

The longer consumers close their eyes and minds to the reality of the marketplace that their own behaviors has crafted, the longer they're going to wallow in surprise, disappointment and disaffection. Consumer camaraderie isn't a sin, but apparently what it does most consistently is twirl consumers into a never-ending death-spiral of dissatisfaction. I don't know anyone who finds that ride enjoyable.

Last edited: