Google TV Discussion

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
I'm starting a new thread specifically for the discussion of anything having to do with Google TV.

As far as I know, the only set top box that is Google TV enabled is Logitech ReVue. Can someone confirm this? I may have time tonight to research and report back....

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
Logitech Revue, is all I know. Logitech has a history of high quality products that work, like its Harmony Universal Remotes and Squeezebox Music Players and Streamers.

Do you have the Revue?

EscapeVelocity

Hell, I didnt know that Logitech Revue was available yet. Have they shipped yet? Back in October?

CNET: Google TV roundup: The first wave of products

Aparently Sony has a TV and an BluRay Player out with Google TV integration.

Sony NSZ-GT1
Price: $400
Review coming soon | Check prices

Advantages: Google TV integrated into a Blu-ray player; speedy Blu-ray load times.

Disadvantages: Sony's controller can be frustrating to use; requires physical IR blaster to control other products.

Outlook: Sony's NSZ-GT1 combines Blu-ray and Google TV in a single box for a relatively low upfront cost, although we think most early adopters will prefer the Revue.

Last edited:

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
I knew Sony had the LCD TVs coming out with Google TV; wasn't sure exactly when though. Not a bad price for them either.

Haven't bought the ReVue, haven't gotten to demo it yet either. Definitely interested in it.

cnet gave a blah review on it here: Logitech Revue Review (Google TV) - Digital Media Receivers - CNET Reviews though a lot of bugs that they experienced will probably be cleared up with a firmware upgrade. Plus, there aren't any major networks on board with Google TV yet either.

Where's Apple TV in all of this? Most of their content is paid stuff from what I know, so, I'm not a huge fan of paying per view vs receiving content from services from Netflix for a monthly fee.

EscapeVelocity

AppleTV has great integration with their other products, especially the iPhone (iPad, iPod). So people that live in Steve Jobs world already are probably well advised to go the AppleTV route at this time.

AppleTV can play video targeted at the iPhone, so there will be a lot of video available. They use iTunes for rentals and purchases of movies and TV shows, whereas other devices use Amazon on Demand. Those 2 are basically direct competitors.

AppleTV is limited to 720p output, but I dont think that is a big deal, the way things stand these days. It is also limited in outputs with only HDMI and a Micro-USB port.

Wi-Fi (802.11b/g/n), 10/100 Ethernet, Micro-USB, HDMI, Optical audio

But its UI is very nice, as are all Apple products.

One "unique" feature is an integrated 8GB buffer, which could be very useful. The Roku HD has 64MB and later versions 256MB. Not sure about the XD and XD/S, but I dont think its anywhere near Double Layer DVD size (8 GB).

Basically, AppleTV will have what most of these boxes get but be limited to iTunes instead of allowing Vudu or Amazon on Demand, I think. Youtube, Pandora, the Photo Sites, and stuff like that will be widely distributed like Hulu Plus and Netflix. AppleTV has to be more than an iTunes server to compete and it already provides Netflix.

I thought Boxee might be a rogue serving up Hulu and being open source, able to play anything, but it looks like that wont be true. Although it will certainly be more open than AppleTV.....it will play a lot of codecs.

Then there is Google TV, which has much more clout than Boxee (or Roku), but is likely to be more open than AppleTV. Apple has clout to make deals as well.

The dynamics are fascinating as the content providers like the major Networks look to support revenue streams, but they are giving away there stuff for free on their own sites.

This article is a must read...

TechCrunch: CEO Expects TV Networks To Block Boxee Box, Plans Payment Platform To Win Them Over

EscapeVelocity

I was really hot for Boxee Box but it looks like the primary function that I was seeking (Hulu NONPLUS) playback will not be available.

Neither will the Google TV devices have this Hulu NONPLUS playback ability.

But I think both of those platforms and boxes offer more flexibility than the AppleTV. The caveat being that people firmly esconced in Steve Jobs world will benefit hugely from the integration of the iPhone and other products, so that may be their best route at this time.

The best option at this time is a Mac Mini or a Ubuntu or Win7 Nettop HTPC, (or a Laptop) which gives you all options, even Hulu NONPLUS playback.

Win7 Media Center with DVR capabilities
XBox Media Center with its beautiful interface
Boxee with Hulu NONPLUS delivery
Straight Hulu delivery via Brower
Google TV
Full Browser of your choice
Lots of Media Player options and virtually all codecs, can play anything.

Basically no limits at all. You can even use remotes with these, like Logitech Harmony series.

Im hot for an Acer Aspire Revo Nettop, R3610 or R1600, using the dual and single Atom processors respectively and nVidia ION graphics/video accelerator.

Last edited:

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
The best option at this time is a Mac Mini or a Ubuntu or Win7 Nettop HTPC, (or a Laptop) which gives you all options, even Hulu NONPLUS playback.
Agreed, though if Google TV could ever team up with some content providers like Hulu or other major network, I'd easily pick one up. The thing is, I use a PC 14 hours a day, the last thing I want to do is navigate the web or Windows/Mac OS on my TV for content. I want point and click, easy to use, and a fast way to search for content. :)

n2rj

Staff member
Logitech Revue, is all I know. Logitech has a history of high quality products that work, like its Harmony Universal Remotes and Squeezebox Music Players and Streamers.

Do you have the Revue?
Some harmony remotes work great. However the 890 doesn't.

I think their weak point is the RF wireless product line. Nearly everything RF I've gotten from them doesn't work well. Their wired stuff works great as well as RF stuff from others.

I've heard mixed reviews about the Revue. Some like it, some don't.

n2rj

Staff member
I was really hot for Boxee Box but it looks like the primary function that I was seeking (Hulu NONPLUS) playback will not be available.

Neither will the Google TV devices have this Hulu NONPLUS playback ability.
I don't think you're ever going to get that from one of these devices, or similar, sorry to say.

EscapeVelocity

I don't think you're ever going to get that from one of these devices, or similar, sorry to say.
The Mini Mac, Nettop HTPC, and Laptop all provide that functionality. I think you are right that these lower cost devices will be blocked and lawfare waged against them to prevent them from doing so.

That being said, the $50 I spent on the Roku HD has been well worth it, even though a $300 full fledged computer would be better.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
a $300 full fledged computer would be better.
Definately. I just need to upgrade to an OS with a decent Media Center, as it is I am using XP without a Media Center and it's a pain - but I am not blocked by any of the online providers.

EscapeVelocity

The Logitech ReVue seems to be too pricey for what you get. At that point getting a full fledged Laptop or Nettop seems the way to go.

The Boxee at $200 would have been worth it if it kept the functionality of Boxee Software on a full fledged computer, but it doesnt look like it will (namely Hulu NONPLUS screenshifting).

AppleTV Gen2 at $100 is a good choice for those who are deeply into Steve Jobs world.

Roku at $50 to $100 gets people into the game, with the fewest bucks. Even though it has limitations.

The Net and WiFi enabled BluRay Players are a good alternative too.

If you have a PS3, XBox, or Wii then you are in the game already even though these have limitations. Good alternative for gamers.

But the Nettop, Laptop, Mac Mini, seems to be the best option right now, especially if you have VGA or HDMI outputs from them, and integrated WiFi.

EscapeVelocity

This is for internet streaming only.

DVR functionality and Playback of Local datastreams arent considered. Boxee promises to be pretty good at local network playback, but everything else is severely limited except again the full fledged computers. The Popcorn Hour C-200 and Dune players are not streamers but rather local media playback devices, which are tops at what they do. Then there are the "2nd Tier" NetGear Neo TV550 and the Nixeus Fusion HD. Worth a look is the Viewsonic VMP75 which is a like a scaled down Nixeus Fusion HD, without an intenal HD but with Netflix streaming integration. Also the ACRyan PlayOn! Plus and Egreat machines are worth a good look. And the "venerable" Western Digital WDTV Live+, and lessor Briteview and Asus O Play! media players.

iboum

Last edited:

EscapeVelocity

Forgot to mention the Sage HD300 (and HD200), which is kind of unique, and offers lots of features including DVR capabilities.

Plus the venerable Popcorn Hour A-110 is still a top choice as a dedicated local media player.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone found a list of compatible cable and satellite providers that Google TV / Logitech Revue will work with? I've seen in different news stories that the Revue is compatible with Comcast and Dish Network so far.

EscapeVelocity

Google TV's ambitious undertaking is giving it lots of negative feedback. No other box tries to do this with Cable and Sat TV providers....with the execption of Tivo Premier HD and HD-XL, that I know of. However, when they work the tweaks out, that will be a fantastic feature, integration into one interface.