Got a Sony Tube TV with ATSC digital tuner

$25 on Craigslist. Had I offered the lady $5, that would likely have been her highest offer. People have a hard time giving away tube TVs. If someone wants a used tube TV that does not need a converter box, if you are looking at a Sony you can google the model number and Sony esupport will tell you.

I thought it might get me more channels than my Magnavox converter box, connected to an NTSC TV. Actually it gets me fewer. It does not get me dtv channels 60, 20, or 36. I think when you use the magnavox converter box to scan channels it recognizes a lot more marginal channels, including several that will give me no picture. The Sony only saves the stronger channels apparently. Still I like it better because I don't need a second remote for changing channels.

They also have a 34 inch widescreen HD tube TV with ASTC. I just got a 27 inch without HD, just SD.

Sony eSupport - KD-27FS170 - News & Alerts

Is my Sony® television ready for the Digital TV (DTV) transition?

Good news! Your Sony KD-27FS170 television has an ATSC tuner so you will be able to receive over-the-air digital programming without a digital tuner or a converter box.
Note: You may still need a cable box to receive digital cable programming, or to view premium or pay-per-view cable programming.

Background Information

After June 12, 2009, full-power television stations will broadcast in digital only. The switch from analog to digital broadcast television is referred to as the digital TV (DTV) transition. In 1996, the U.S. Congress authorized the distribution of an additional broadcast channel to each broadcast TV station so that they could start a digital broadcast channel while simultaneously continuing their analog broadcast channel.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
okie_flats,

ATSC digital tuners have been continually improving and your Sony most likely has an early generation tuner. Newer tuners are now better able to decode or decipher damaged data streams.

Please tell us about the picture 'quality' as in depth and clarity. Congratulations!

Jim

Happens to be a "Harry Potter" movie on ABC right now; looks real good.

Think you'd probably say it has good depth. Good color, sharp, and plenty of brightness.

Personally I like to tone it down some. I turn down the contrast. Then because that makes the picture too dark, I turn up the brightness. Doing that, reducing the contrast and increasing the brightness, actually gives you a picture that is overall less bright. Looks more natural that way. Don't want the whites and light colors being too bright because that is too irritating.

Yes, if someone is looking for cheap and doesn't mind a tube TV they should look for one with an ATSC tuner. Plenty of cheap, if not free, tube TV's because no-one wants them anymore. Not many have ATSC tuners though. Need to be 2006 or newer, probably.

This 27 inch Sony I got cost $330 back in 2006. They also came in 32 and 36 inch. Also there was a 34 inch HD widescreen model, like in this CL ad:

34 inch KD-34XBR960N SONY HD FLAT SCREEN TV, $70
Date: 2012-12-25, 9:08AM

This perfect condition 34 inch Sony XBR CRT Television is the last of the mohicans. If you are a fan of HD TV's you may know that when Plasma, Rear Projection, LED and DLP (the thin tv's) came out - none of them actually matched the quality of the original CRT HD TVs. This is still true today. This 34 inch TV has the absolute best HD picture quality you can find right now. It also is perfect for SD content viewing because it is a traditional tube. Its heavy (Over 150 lbs) but its worth it. I recently decided to give up picture quality for size and purchased a Plasma TV. My loss is your gain. This unit has HDMI and supports up to 1080i.
This is the last model that sony made before they started downgrading the set. It is a 960N which means it has antireflective glare coating on the glass. It also comes with the original Remote.