Grey's Anatomy

Grey's Anatomy : How can Lexie Grey be an intern only a year after Meredith was?
I just finished Grey's Anatomy season 3 and obviously it states that Lexie Grey is an intern the next season. I was just wondering how that could be possible since she would have to be 5 years younger than Meredith since Ellis didn't leave Thatcher until Meredith was 5. That would put them only one year apart. Anyway, I was just wondering so any information would be great, I am very curious

bicker

DTVUSA Member
It has been well-established that Meredith delayed her education (to travel Europe), and then spent some time dealing with her mother's advancing infirmity, and therefore the start of her internship. Like it or not, also, Pompeo is supposed to be playing a character far younger than the actress.

paulette

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Grey's Anatomy : How can Lexie Grey be an intern only a year after Meredith was?
I just finished Grey's Anatomy season 3 and obviously it states that Lexie Grey is an intern the next season. I was just wondering how that could be possible since she would have to be 5 years younger than Meredith since Ellis didn't leave Thatcher until Meredith was 5. That would put them only one year apart. Anyway, I was just wondering so any information would be great, I am very curious
I am confused too..well i guess we have to watch the next season to find out..

bicker

DTVUSA Member
I doubt that they'll go into any more detail about this. The passage of time is something that they've deliberately avoided addressing, for some strange reason, for instance, stretching the internship year of the original group of interns (Meredith, Izzie, Cristina, Alex, George) over three television seasons. Given Ellen Pompeo's age, and the fact that she's no Christie Brinkley (who, at age 55, looks far younger than Pompeo looks, at age 39) would seem to have pushed them to accelerate time, so that they have more of a chance of keeping their main character in synch with its actress' advancing age, rather than slow down time, just exacerbating the problem.

antkmom

DTVUSA Member
bicker is right about this. Meredith didn't go and get her degree right away. She traveled to Europe. I don't know what season her friend from Europe shows up as a new intern, but there is one reminder.

gencelina

DTVUSA Jr. Member
It has been well-established that Meredith delayed her education (to travel Europe), and then spent some time dealing with her mother's advancing infirmity, and therefore the start of her internship. Like it or not, also, Pompeo is supposed to be playing a character far younger than the actress.
Good. That sort of clears things up a bit for me. I was confused when antkmom mentioned about it.