Grindhouse features on Netflix

James

DTVUSA Member
Here is a list of grindhouse-ish films now on Netflix. Not mainstream. Just sharing the list as many are considered good for this genre.

Candyman (1992, Dir. Bernard Rose) Virginia Madsen, Kasi Lemmons, Tony Todd, Xander Berkeley, Vanessa Williams

The City of Lost Children (1995, Dir. Jean-Pierre Jeunet, Marc Caro) Ron Perlman, Dominique Pinon, Daniel Emilfork

Diggstown (1992, Dir. Michael Ritchie) James Woods, Lou Gossett Jr., Bruce Dern, Oliver Platt, Heather Graham, Randall “Tex” Cobb

From Russia with Love (1963, Dir. Terence Young) Sean Connery, Robert Shaw, Bernard Lee, Walter Gotell, Lois Maxwell, Vladek Sheybal

Godzilla, King of the Monsters (1956, Dir. Ishiro Honda) Raymond Burr

Here Comes the Devil (2013, Dir. Adrian Garcia Bogliano)

Ichi the Killer (2001, Dir. Takashi Miike)

Kill Bill Vol. 1 (2003, Dir. Quentin Tarantino) Uma Thurman, Lucy Liu, Viveca A. Fox, Daryl Hannah, Michael Madsen, David Carradine, Julie Dreyfus, Sonny Chiba, Gordon Liu

Kill Bill Vol. 2 (2004, Dir. Quentin Tarantino) Uma Thurman, David Carradine, Daryl Hannah, Gordon Liu, Michael Madsen, Michael Parks

Lawrence Always (2012, Dir. Xavier Dolan) Melvil Poupaud, Nathalie Baye

Milius (2013, Dir. Joey Figueroa, Zak Knutson) John Milius, Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, Harrison Ford, Francis Ford Coppola, Martin Scorsese, Clint Eastwood

Ravenous (1999, Dir. Antonia Bird) Guy Pearce, Robert Carlyle, Jeffrey Jones, David Arquette, Jeremy Davies, Stephen Spinella, Neal McDonough

Short Term 12 (2013, Dir. Destin Cretton) Brie Larson, John Gallagher Jr.

Top Secret! (1984, Dir. Jim Abrahams, David Zucker, Jerry Zucker) Val Kilmer, Lucy Gutteridge, Peter Cushing, Michael Gough, Jeremy Kemp

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
There is a Roku channel called "Drive In classics" that has a lot of these type movies. It's a free channel, but it has commercials.

Also, it has some of those old 3-D movies that need those blue and red 3D glasses for...

James

DTVUSA Member
I watched Death Proof...Tarantino project...about an old stunt car guy who...well. I don't want to spoil it for anyone who wants to watch. Needless to say it was weird. It had women that looked good but were bad and you kinda hated them. Creepy stuff. Cool photography and music though. I liked the minute details and things there were placed in the movie as props and messages. There is that weird sex and violence innuendo/ combination that I don't like but you watch anyway to see what happens. Remember those movie ads that said "Tell yourself..It is only a movie."

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Reminds me of when my ex would cover my daughter's eyes when there was a sex scene, but did nothing when the blood started flying.

I never understood why sex and violence are always linked together.

James

DTVUSA Member
Reminds me of when my ex would cover my daughter's eyes when there was a sex scene, but did nothing when the blood started flying.

I never understood why sex and violence are always linked together.
I am sure there are many theories, some closer to reality than others. Probably something related to the allure of power. Male thing? I watched a Japanese film years ago...modern but in black and white. I really can't remember the story other than this guys penis changed into a spinning drill or auger. Blood every where. I have read something about Japanese fear of nuclear disasater, big typhoons, utter destruction. I am not sure it is the mindset of younger generations but "they say" it spawned the Japanese sci-fi and monster movies.

Obviously, the 2 volumes of Kill Bill represent the very best of 21st Century American cinema. Also, The City of Lost Children is a superb piece of dystopian fantasy, which preempts (and vastly improves upon, in my no-doubt lone opinion!) Pan's Labyrinth and the other Del Toro movies everyone raves about! Ichi the Killer is sick but brilliant fun, with possibly the funniest fight in the movies. Thanks for bringing these to people's attention.