Question: ground block or use the ground of splitter

scandiskwindows9x

Moderator of DTV Latino
i am in a dilemma , i want regularize my set up by grounding , my dilemma is have a ground block connected and a splitter for 3 televisions my question is if use the grounding of splitter would be enough or need ground, the ground block ,connected too.

best regards

SWHouston

Staff member
You could use either, or both.

The application of a Ground is related to suppressing Static Electricity for our Systems. Many, who don't wish to use a Block out on their Mast (if they have one) use a (in-house) splitter, and ground it to a near metal cold water pipe, like when the splitter is in the attic.

Many of the various TV's, Amps and DVR's have a third wire Ground included in the Power Cord. That usually is quite sufficient to suppress any accumulated charge on that, and any other equipment connected to it, by a Coaxial Cable, making supplemental grounding superfluous. However, if all your equipment have two wire power cords, then, I would recommend grounding by either application.

One should not make any assumption that the application of this type of grounding, has any real protection when considering a Lightning Strike, either locally or at some distance. That should be addressed by Suppression Technology.

Last edited: